Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Allie - "The First Sacrificial Lamb"

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Okay, let's talk about something bloody.
    Did you feel sorry for Allie when Roland killed her without any hesitation?
    well of course i did. i see why he felt he had to, but i still felt bad for the people he killed.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Actually, I must disagree with your definition of love Jean. While true, it is only a type of love.
    it's how I understand it. For other types of love, there are other words.
    Yes, such as love, love, and let us not forget love.
    very clever indeed; I am afraid a little too clever for me: I fail to see the point. Is it that we should abandon all attempts to make ourselves understood? But where will we get without at least trying to clarify our notions? Let it be type A, type B, whatever, but let's differ, or we're bound to repeat the same things forever without getting anywhere at all.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I agree with you, Jean. To me love is something that endures. These other types of attractions - they're simply infatuation, affection, flirtation, obsession, comfort, lust - they are branches from the same tree, but they're not love as I define it.

Super Saiyan Mark is on a distinguished road Mark's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, let's talk about something bloody.
    Did you feel sorry for Allie when Roland killed her without any hesitation?
    No i didn't, because she asked to be killed, so Roland did it, it's his nature to do so, if someone asked me to kick them in the teeth i'd do it, and wouldn't feel sorry for them, because they asked for it. In WOTC, a certain man addicted to a certain substance (not Eddie) mentions a quote from AA, "Be careful what you pray for, because you just might get it", and this quote can be used here.
    2:45 am- 11th February 2008- I Finished The Dark Tower

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess you read the revised Gunslinger, am I right?

Roland would have understood.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, I must disagree with your definition of love Jean. While true, it is only a type of love.
    it's how I understand it. For other types of love, there are other words.
    Yes, such as love, love, and let us not forget love.
    very clever indeed; I am afraid a little too clever for me: I fail to see the point. Is it that we should abandon all attempts to make ourselves understood? But where will we get without at least trying to clarify our notions? Let it be type A, type B, whatever, but let's differ, or we're bound to repeat the same things forever without getting anywhere at all.

Well, the point is that IMO all love is the same. I see no need to seperate them or label them. Even if it's a short term thing that doesn't last that doesn't mean it wasn't love. In addition (presumably) you love your mother, your father, brothers, sisters, and friends. It is in fact the same feeling/emotion. It just manifests itself in different ways and sometimes degrees. I just see no reason nor need for different labels for what is essentially the same (at least in my mind).
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

May I take that one step further?
    IMO ....Love is not a feeling at all,
    but an action!!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

agreed

...and often you have no choice in the matter.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I'm with Alinda, a declaration of commitment, evidenced by sacrifice.

Country
    Country Flag

I guess you read the revised Gunslinger, am I right?
    Yeah i did, how is the none revised any different?

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Various differences, such as in the original Allie begs Roland not to kill her.

Country
    Country Flag

Ohhhh.... Were can i get hold of a none revised version?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, the point is that IMO all love is the same. I see no need to seperate them or label them. Even if it's a short term thing that doesn't last that doesn't mean it wasn't love. In addition (presumably) you love your mother, your father, brothers, sisters, and friends. It is in fact the same feeling/emotion. It just manifests itself in different ways and sometimes degrees. I just see no reason nor need for different labels for what is essentially the same (at least in my mind).
    I, though, see a necessity to find different names for something that manifests itself in different ways/degrees, because no communication is possible without it, especially when we start discussing subtle things; especially when we don't even see each other and words are the only thing we have. I believe in words a lot; and I see no other means but words to conduct a successful discussion (even if names or notions are skilfully put down by labeling them as "labels" ). There are different names for different people: they are men, women, children; more names come up when what they have in common (humanity) manifests itself in more differents ways; there are different names for different genres of literature or different flowers; as Lisa said,
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts
    These other types of attractions - they're simply infatuation, affection, flirtation, obsession, comfort, lust - they are branches from the same tree, but they're not love as I define it.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mark88880 View Post
    Ohhhh.... Were can i get hold of a none revised version?

Well, if you're just wanting a reading copy you could easily find a mass marketpaperback or trade on ebay or possibly a used book store.

I, though, see a necessity to find different names for something that manifests itself in different ways/degrees, because no communication is possible without it, especially when we start discussing subtle things; especially when we don't even see each other and words are the only thing we have. I believe in words a lot; and I see no other means but words to conduct a successful discussion (even if names or notions are skilfully put down by labeling them as "labels" ). There are different names for different people: they are men, women, children; more names come up when what they have in common (humanity) manifests itself in more differents ways; there are different names for different genres of literature or different flowers; as Lisa said,
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts
    These other types of attractions - they're simply infatuation, affection, flirtation, obsession, comfort, lust - they are branches from the same tree, but they're not love as I define it.
    I also believe in words alot. The problem is for me love is just love and can take many of the forms or aspects Lisa mentioned. Still it is just love...and it is all love. However, for arguments sake I won't debate the details. Let love be what it is for all. I'll only use my definition if the need arises for me to address something specific. Just know when I speak of it I speak of an allinclusive love without boundaries. Off topic, but I also don't believe in genres.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't say I believed in genres; but yes, it's a whole another story which I hope we could develop later elsewhere

We must differ between "love", as a general source of that light, and its various manifestations; in this sense I would agree that love is one and indivisible; but its manifestations are too different to be blanket-covered by one word, so I think we could agree to give some qualifications when we talk about the manifestations.

Closer to the topic (although we're still not off: concept-defining is always important, whatever is discussed): in Allie/Roland case I personally can't see any manifestation of anything that for me comes under the category of "love", whether I understand it as a noumenal or a phenomenal concept.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Mark - you could probably still order the original edition of The Gunslinger from your local Waterstones or wherever

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3