Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-Emo Brutality In Mexico: It May Get Worse

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post
    Ha! See, where I'm from, that's what we would classify as "Indie" now.

Labels, fuck 'em.
    That's because when those bands started wanting to distance themselves from what emo was becoming, they started calling their music Indie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Emo originally sprung out of a post-hardcore moverment with bands like Fugazi, Rites of Spring, Sunny Day Real Estate and Jimmy Eat World. Goth never had anything to do with it. It was mostly post hardcore type stuff that had a more emotional focus in lyrical content. After several waves, things started to focus more on fashion and people who were real emo bands distanced themselves from the label and movement. Anyone who calls themselves emo today doesn't get emo.
    I've heard the other bands mentioned when people talk about the roots of emo, but not JEW. Weird.
    That's probably because most people know Jimmy Eat World for Blled American and everything after that was released in 2001. There was a shift in their sound as they went mainstream with that release, so people don't mention them much. Static Prevails is pretty much second wave emo, though.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Labels, fuck 'em.
    That's because when those bands started wanting to distance themselves from what emo was becoming, they started calling their music Indie.

Yeah, and now everybody in Omaha is Indie. I mean, we've still got a bunch of emos, but indie is a lot more popular here. We're supposed to be the Indie music capitol of the US, that's what they tell me anyways... whoever "they" are.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Haha, well, you did give the world Conor Oberst and the 800 bands he has been in,
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

That's a fact.
    I'm not a fan though...
    He's very talented, I just can't stand his voice.

Baaaaa <--- That's my impression of a goat/his voice.

hahahaha. I like Desaparecidos, and some Bright Eyes songs aren't bad.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

This reminds me of when I was in high school, my friends and I were the metal-heads and then there were the New Wave kids and the jocks. These kids I've seen folk call "emo" remind me of the New Wave kids.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Interplay Fan HanzouNorak is on a distinguished road HanzouNorak's Avatar

im not going to let on about my age, but lets just say im around the point where (most) kids would fall into this. i sat back a little and watched one of my friends teter on the edge of emo, listening to music, acting depressed, the usally signs. he was simply missing the makeup. but nonetheless, i sat back and simply observed. i made sure to take notice of anything that remotly had to do with emo, and concluded that it wasn't going to encroach at all on my school. i, once before i realized how emo people acted, started to fall alittle into it. then i fell, wacked my head on a desk and woke up. i listened to the music and though, all i can hear is screaming. i soon saw how emos acted, and cut myself off from it permantly. i mean no offense, and then again i do, calling it a "phase" is a bit like ignoring it. before the kid goes into it, there should be an attempt to convice them otherwise, if they still decide on being emo, fine, their choice, but atleast they were told first. this "phase" does evolve into something harmful, cuting themselves does have the motive of feeling if they're alive, but it in many cases becomes kinda of like a drug, lets not forget the results fucking up and severing a vein.

so my conclusion? they wanna be emo? fine, try to convince them otherwise first, they still wanna be emo? fine, let em be.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Kids beating up others kids is not really anything new. In the small country town I grew up in you really caught Hell if you were different. I witnessed more than a few brutal beatings at the constant beer parties that went on while I was in high school and college.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually hate emo music with a passion. A whole group of them hang out at the central park in the city, and I don't have a desire to hurt them or anything but I do have this almost impossible to resist urge to get a firehose and drench the fuck out of them.

The reason why i dislike the music is that its self-indulgent wank and adored by these kids from upwardly mobile families that are usually financially comfortable and the worst fucking thing they have to bemoan is that they got a C in maths and daddy works til 9pm every night and never played catch with them when when they were 7. Its a gormless fad and heaven forbid having to deal with any actual jarring life events. Can't they just listen to Nirvana and smoke bongs like normal teenagers?

I was really surprised to see the movement in Mexico - but I'd be interested to see the demographics of it.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post

The reason why i dislike the music is that its self-indulgent wank and adored by these kids from upwardly mobile families that are usually financially comfortable and the worst fucking thing they have to bemoan is that they got a C in maths and daddy works til 9pm every night and never played catch with them when when they were 7. Its a gormless fad and heaven forbid having to deal with any actual jarring life events. Can't they just listen to Nirvana and smoke bongs like normal teenagers?
    Yeah a reason I can't stand emos. I'm sure some of them may have issues (not sure why ANYONE feels the need to dress stupid and dye their hair black because they are depressed) but we all do and some people have much worse issues. Do they want pity? Do they want me to think "aw, poor little emo kid. Look how he starves himself out of depression and self pity." Of course they hang out at the mall with a group of friends and do what I do (without the gayness of hanging out at the mall and the gay clothes) so why are they sad?

It's the ambiguity of the fashion and their mindsets I don't get nor understand. Whatever causes it I just don't understand. I hate emos because it makes it harder with people with actual issues to come out with them. Nowadays when you're my age or younger and you say you're depressed and you'll just get called emo. For me, being called emo is a horrible insult.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

You have to remember that every teenager feels that their life is tragic. That no one suffers more than they do. It's an inherent (sp) teenager trait.
    It is only when we get older that we realize how silly we were.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Of course they hang out at the mall with a group of friends and do what I do (without the gayness of hanging out at the mall and the gay clothes) so why are they sad?
    For me, being called emo is a horrible insult.
    So too is the word "gay" when used as an insult. Unless you were actually referring to all emo kids as homosexuals, then I cry your pardon.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Me realizing how silly I was when I was a teenager doesn't mean I don't have real problems now. I'm 22, been single my whole life, parents separated since I was 4. Grew up with a mentally and physically abusive step father (think he was a bit of pedo too). Almost all my friends have left my life, I've had to deal with attempted suicides, addictions, watching those i love most erode before my eyes. I was kicked out of school because of my intense depression which was coupled with insomnia which doesn't help matters. Now I've had to redo a grade and a half of school (I've got a 150 IQ for christ sake) which is slow going and unchallenging, I'm 2,000 in debt and have creditors calling me and my mom is moving to another country at any time in which I'll be force to support myself, finish high school (with 90's) to get into university, pay off my debts, save money for school and at least 5,000 worth of equipment all while trying to finish my damn book and the weight of issue after issue has made be pretty damn apathetic towards it all. On top of that any day I could develop a melanoma in my left eyeball (the one that isn't half lazy) which would make me blind in that eye and probably spread to my liver, the chances are slim but with my track record I'm surprised I have depth perception today.

I don't complain to anyone about it. Other people have their problems. These kids thinking they are depressed when they are not, some desperate cry for attention. It's never been a cry for attention for me, I've always been very private with my depression and apathy. Even when I was a teenager.

I know people have suffered more than me and my issue are trivial compared to what people have to deal with. I recognize this. I have the common fucking decency to be able to see how others lives are and know not to complain to them or to walk around dressed like them. Their lifestyle shows a complete lack of self respect, societal respect and respect for those who have suffered.

A saying I enjoy is 'Don't complain to a veteran about skinned knees' and it's entirely fitting for this thread.

When I think of how pitiful some of these kids are and how weak they allow themselves to become and be portrayed...I just want to rip my hair out. Are these my peers in the future? Are these the people I want to create art and entertainment for? People that can't stub a toe without belly aching over it? Maybe I'm just unique and special in my generation. Perhaps I feel others pain sometimes so much I can't even recognize my own. There are so many important issues in the world; global warming, terrorism, war, famine, poverty, rape, murder, genocide, hate, prejudice and they think they have it hard. I don't even have it hard, even though it can feel that way.

I just think these emos (and the hip hop kids too) need a reality check. To see there is a world beyond the music videos and the shopping malls and the televisions and iPods and the clothes, a world that is far more real and can offer much more.

These emo kids problems stem further than fashions and music towards our social conditions. Our society breeds them, creates them and destroys them. There is a massive business behind controlling youth and making them buy buy buy. It's not as if rap videos displaying their clothes, cars, houses and bling isn't advertising consumerism.

Sometimes I wish I could go back in time to a time when society was different but I wonder if it ever has been.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

The human condition has never been any different, Mattrick, but capitalism is relatively new. The merchant class fucked everything up in my opinion. I'm hoping to live off the grid when I'm a little older, on a self supportive farm, writing books and not watching TV.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

dude, you're so fucken EMO.

but seriously, I've been considering buying a windmill generator to power my property.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

MY point was, that teenagers feel hard-done by... as they grow up, they realize that other people have shit to deal with as well. Teenagers rarely see this as it takes a maturity that comes once you've grown up a bit more.
    Being Emo is really no different than any other teenage fad, which is why I said that you don't see many 30 year old emos.
    Rather than 'hating' the whole emo phase, why don't people just let them do whatever the hell they want? I mean, does it really affect anyone else's life? When they get older, they will realize that it's not all about them.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    Rather than 'hating' the whole emo phase, why don't people just let them do whatever the hell they want?.

Perfectly put. That says it all to me.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

O: I don't hate them, I just want to spray them with jets of water
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

So too is the word "gay" when used as an insult. Unless you were actually referring to all emo kids as homosexuals, then I cry your pardon.
    homosexuality is pretty in line with emos. There are a lot of gay emos. But I think people that hang out at malls are gay...I just plain don't see the reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze
    I'm not denying that I do suffer from depression and the only reason I bitched the way I did was to prove a point about emos. I hardly ever burden anyone with my problems. And dressing like you're depressed is just as bad as complaining about it, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejudge
    The human condition has never been any different, Mattrick, but capitalism is relatively new. The merchant class fucked everything up in my opinion.
    I think the human condition has reached an all new low. Were a people bitter, angry, depressed, hostile and fearful over the most irrational things. No one invents stupider reasons to be against something else than mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta
    MY point was, that teenagers feel hard-done by... as they grow up, they realize that other people have shit to deal with as well. Teenagers rarely see this as it takes a maturity that comes once you've grown up a bit more.
    That's because they lead such comfortable lives with their ipods and their xboxes and satelitte tvs and their txt messaging. I've grown up always realizing how easy all the other kids had it. So when they complain about how bad they have it, yes, I take it personally. All I did all summer every summer was house work during my youth. I actually dreaded summer for that reason. I got no money for spending whole weekends working then my friend gets five bucks for taking out the trash. When I was eight I had to do dishes, vacuum, cook family meals and do my own laundry. I did more work in my childhood than these emo kids do throughout their teens.

Rather than 'hating' the whole emo phase, why don't people just let them do whatever the hell they want? I mean, does it really affect anyone else's life? When they get older, they will realize that it's not all about them.
    Yeah, lets just let all these depressed people do whatever they want. It's not as if Columbine, Virginia Tech etc haven't been commited by people suffereing some serious emotional issues. Let's just let teenagers with little care for what happens around embrace these negative emotions and let them be then wonder why they kill themselves or get hooked on drugs or go out and commit crimes. It's not just emo but those who follow rap music. My area is full of thug and gangstah wannabes selling crack and pills and blow and I'm sure they come from neglectful families.

Most parents don't even know what emo is nor the negative and horrible effects it can have.

Isn't teenage hood/high school supposed to be the greatest time of our lifes? Idyllic? They will look back upon these years thinking 'yeah, I cut myself for fun then huffed gas and cried myself to sleep'

This video shows some of the harsh realities of what is wrong with emo kids.
    http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/15069/

Goldmember Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Being Emo is really no different than any other teenage fad, which is why I said that you don't see many 30 year old emos.
    Because its potentially dangerous depending how far they take it. And because if you had a friend that you knew had a brilliant mind sinking into this trend you wouldn't 'let them do whatever the hell they want'. And while many do grow out of it because they're left to there own devices, there is a potential (fairly small) for them to not get past they're teen years.

Yes, teenagers feel hard-done-by for the most part. And yes they need an outlet. But it doesnt have to be an idiotic and potentially dangerous outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I see more and more emo kids around myself. Emo is just another a new word for lost and lonely kids. For me at least.
    Letti there is a bit more to it than that. Many of these kids do not have a valid reason for acting the way they do. Its become a trend to act depressed and lonely. There are lots of kids that are genuinely depressed and lost and lonely because of real problems they have faced and are facing. These are not emo IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I see more and more emo kids around myself. Emo is just another a new word for lost and lonely kids. For me at least.

Labels, fuck 'em.

I suppose it can be potentially dangerous... but (there's always a 'but, isn't there?)
    how does hating them and persecuting them help them?

Goldmember Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's probably because most people know Jimmy Eat World for Blled American and everything after that was released in 2001. There was a shift in their sound as they went mainstream with that release, so people don't mention them much. Static Prevails is pretty much second wave emo, though.
    Jimmy albums/EP's I own:
    Bleed American
    Chase This Light
    Christmas EP
    Clarity
    Futures
    Jimmy Eat World/Jebediah Split
    Firestarter EP
    Singles
    Sparkle EP
    Static Prevails
    Stay On My Side Tonight EP

I'm a huge fan, never considered them emo. Meh.

I suppose it can be potentially dangerous... but (there's always a 'but, isn't there?)
    It doesnt. And I dont.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze
    I'm not denying that I do suffer from depression and the only reason I bitched the way I did was to prove a point about emos. I hardly ever burden anyone with my problems. And dressing like you're depressed is just as bad as complaining about it, in my opinion.
    I was talking to OJ.....
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Interplay Fan HanzouNorak is on a distinguished road HanzouNorak's Avatar

it doesn't, the generic stupidity for today makes more of them by persecuting them. they think that since its being held down and hated, becomeing emo would be Another Great Way To Rebel. and frankly, the "always but, isn't there?" excuse is something im tired of hear. its self destructive, stupid, and pointless. have you ever gone up to an emo and asked why he/she is emo? the response is always the same;
    "Because im depressed"
    "About what?"
    The emo stares at their questioner with hateful, scared eyes as they desperatly try to muster a response, there is a 30 second pause as they continue their efforts, when they realize its futile, the emo turns in the direction with the least amount of people in it and walks away.

if the emo comes up with a real response thats not retarded in any sense of the word, they have every right to be emo. here is my estimation of how many emos have actualy good reasons;
    *calculates*
    9.762% based on the ten people i asked, a rough estimation from 2 of my friends, the 27 people my penpal over in NY asked, and my gaudy dollar store calculator.
    so lets take a look at the up beat people who wear black and make-up, mostly known as goths. they're not depressed, dont complain about nothing, are happy a lot, but wear make up and wear all black, usally with a logo of a death-metal band on one of their tee-shirts. these poor souls are subject to the stereotype that many call emo. ive got a few SC friends that complain about how everyone calls them emos. the emos are causeing harm to the goth community aswell. how much you wanna bet a bunch of those hate crimes nailed goths too?

so whats left to say? i really dont know right now, but expect something else from me in the morning.

All of the misunderstanding of what emo is(or, was, I suppose, now), especially from the people who call themselves emo annoys me more than words can describe.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast