Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-Emo Brutality In Mexico: It May Get Worse

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Now imagine if they formed their own subculture, bonded by music and fashion style and you'd understand I think.
    perfectly. Thank you

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I don't really understand why some people feel the need to attack these kids. I mean, yes, it is simply a fad and these kids are really just looking for an identity... but they'll figure it out. This is typical teenage behavior... trying to find one's 'self'. You don't see many 30 year old emos.

Are the people that persecute others really that insecure that they just can't leave them to themsleves? Are they so bored that they have nothing better to do?

*jumps off soap-box*
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    Are the people that persecute others really that insecure that they just can't leave them to themsleves? Are they so bored that they have nothing better to do?
    Yes.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Brice, fuck you.
    Ain't you gotta' go fix your makeup boy?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Ain't you gotta' go fix your makeup slave?
    Fixed.

And, the answer is, of course!
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Feve, go get my guy-liner quick or no meals for the week for you.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, now we should stop in here. This is sorta' supposed to be serious discussion about people being hurt.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Ok, now we should stop in here. This is sorta' supposed to be serious discussion about people being hurt.
    Hey, I was being serious, see below?

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Yes.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, you have a point. I just didn't want US to wander to far offtopic.

If you rescue me

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't really know that much about this emo fad. But I think it is just a faze that most teenagers go through until they figure out just who they are and what they want to do with their life. I will have to ask my girls about it.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Emo originally sprung out of a post-hardcore moverment with bands like Fugazi, Rites of Spring, Sunny Day Real Estate and Jimmy Eat World . Goth never had anything to do with it. It was mostly post hardcore type stuff that had a more emotional focus in lyrical content. After several waves, things started to focus more on fashion and people who were real emo bands distanced themselves from the label and movement. Anyone who calls themselves emo today doesn't get emo.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Emo originally sprung out of a post-hardcore moverment with bands like Fugazi, Rites of Spring, Sunny Day Real Estate and Jimmy Eat World . Goth never had anything to do with it. It was mostly post hardcore type stuff that had a more emotional focus in lyrical content. After several waves, things started to focus more on fashion and people who were real emo bands distanced themselves from the label and movement. Anyone who calls themselves emo today doesn't get emo.

The only reason I brought goths into the discussion is the fashion aspect seems derivative of the goths (to me). I didn't intend any direct correlation.

If you rescue me

Goldmember Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't really understand why some people feel the need to attack these kids. I mean, yes, it is simply a fad and these kids are really just looking for an identity... but they'll figure it out. This is typical teenage behavior... trying to find one's 'self'. You don't see many 30 year old emos.

*jumps off soap-box*
    I would dub it typical teenage behaviour too, albiet a dangerous and annoying one. I'm a teenager, I dont feel the need to rebel in a way that is really not rebelling in any way.

I guess you can consider it a search for identity in the sense that it they grow and realize how childish they've been acting.

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Emo originally sprung out of a post-hardcore moverment with bands like Fugazi, Rites of Spring, Sunny Day Real Estate and Jimmy Eat World. Goth never had anything to do with it. It was mostly post hardcore type stuff that had a more emotional focus in lyrical content. After several waves, things started to focus more on fashion and people who were real emo bands distanced themselves from the label and movement. Anyone who calls themselves emo today doesn't get emo.
    I've heard the other bands mentioned when people talk about the roots of emo, but not JEW. Weird.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Lots of lonely kids... that's what I see.

Roland would have understood.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Emo is like Goth 2.0. My sister thinks emo boys are hot, and I'm like "if their pants are so tight, where is their penis?" and that leads to things that are better left alone.

Interplay Fan HanzouNorak is on a distinguished road HanzouNorak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I hate emo kids. At least now they have a reason to whine and complain.
    i hear ya, mopy, depressed and, this is hard to belive, arrogant. theres not many around where i live. (thank god) up in your face, "oh im depressed, Oh im going to make it look like im attempting suicide". call me prejiduce, but atleast i dont got out a beat up near death.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, so now we have two groups that are traditionally social outcasts (punks and rockabillies) beating and generally fuckin' with another group of social outcasts. WTF?
    That was the most interesting aspect of this story, to be honest. I realize that Cubans have been cut off from North America for the past half-century-so the fact that they're servicing vintage Edsels isn't much of a shock- but you figure that people right across the border would realize that Jerry Lee Lewis's popularity might have already peaked.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I see more and more emo kids around myself. Emo is just another a new word for lost and lonely kids. For me at least.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Everyone just wants to be loved.
    And youth demands that you
    show your individuality by
    dressing and acting exactly
    the same as your friends!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Country
    Country Flag

As a kid I never belonged to any kinds of groups because none of them accepted me. (ehhh, I was a super loser) Maybe it wasn't so bad I thought it was.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I am ever so glad that we have found you and eachother!
    I wish that these children could only know they were loved
    by someone. They seem so troubled to me, but then again
    I think it must be the same in all generations.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

My little sister (she's 16 and in high school) and a lot of her friends are what would be considered emo. They wear a lot of black clothing, dye their hair black and let it fall into their eyes, listen to pretty heavy-metal music, and yes, some of them cut themselves. I hate that it's become a joke, because to my little sister and some of her friends it has become someting really difficult for them to deal with.

For whatever reason, a lot of emo kids are depressed. I dont know if depression causes emo or if emo causes depression, but it's usually a high correllation. It's because of this depression and an "inability to feel things" that a lot of those kids cut themselves. My little sister says just what Letti said, that it enables her to feel something. It also distracts her from whatever is causing her pain. She's been trying to stop for awhile now, but it's really hard for her sometimes.

I don't understand how a person could do this to themselves, but I'm a very happy an extremely un-depressed person. Because of their stereotypical nature, emo kids are made fun of a lot in high school. I think this makes their depression worse, but it's a visious cycle.

It CAN be annoying, and that's why a lot of people make fun of them. Especially when they won't help themselves and just dwell on their depression, but I do think they usually have deeper problems to deal with. People making fun of them doesn't help.

Hell, I've even given my sister and her friends shit about it, so I'm not holier-than-thou-ing - it's still a misunderstood culture.

I do agree with Milissa above though, I think it's a phase, and I think that if these kids can get some help with their other problems they'll "grow out of it."

[/end rant]

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Here's what emo looked like before it because a fashion trend.

Fugazi

Sunny Day real Estate

Taking Back Sunday

The Getup Kids

Quite a difference, yeah?

Emo started out with a bunch of nerdy punk/hardcore kids who decided to startw riting songs about love and the girls that they never seemed able to get rather than the basic hardcore style and the violence and toughguy attitudes that were starting to become prevalant in the music.

It is the same thing that happens with any underground movement: When it becomes popular, it loses all meaning and becomes all about the look. It makes me sad to see what it has become and most of the bands that are still around from the first couple waves of emo try to distance themselves as much as possible from the term, much like a lot of bands taht are essentially punk bands still do with the term punk because of what it became.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Ha! See, where I'm from, that's what we would classify as "Indie" now.

Labels, fuck 'em.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast