Thread: Anti-Emo Brutality In Mexico: It May Get Worse

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Anti-Emo Brutality In Mexico: It May Get Worse

http://idolator.com/372899/anti+emo-...-may-get-worse

With more rioting and violence against "emos" expected at the upcoming City Fair in Tijuana, Mexico, the Mexican government is assisting in an ad campaign designed to curb the attacks, which began earlier this month. While it's being argued that the resentment toward this particular strain of youth culture is due to its corporate promotion and increasing media omnipresence, it's clear that the same homophobia that drove backlashes against disco and new wave is playing a large part. Why else would the abuse be aimed at the kids who enjoy the music, rather than the companies that hawk it? A brief timeline after the cut.

From Daniel Hernandez's blog, Intersections, which has extensively covered the incidents:

The spark came first in Queretaro on March 7. An estimated 800 young people poured into the city's Centro Historico hunting for emos to beat the crap out of. They found some. The next weekend it spread to Mexico City, where emos faced off against punks and rockabillies at the Glorieta de Insurgents, the epicenter of emo social space in the capital. There's also been reports of anti-emo violence in Durango, Colima, and elsewhere...
    From another post by Hernandez:

In Queretaro on March 15, a week after the first anti-emo incident nationally, emos and others staged a silent march for peace and tolerance through Queretaro's centro. [On March 19th], emos and their supporters in Mexico City demonstrated in front of the headquarters of the municipal justice department. The action was organized by a Mexico City gay-rights organization, highlighting the contention of some that the anti-emo movement is homophobic, among other undercurrents. After the rally the emos marched to the metro under police protection and returned to their unofficial base, the Glorieta de Insurgentes, chanting "Emos! Emos! Emos!" On Tuesday, emos here met with representatives of the D.F. municipal government.

It's hard to believe that people may actually need to see the slogan "For the freedom of being young, live and let live" in 2008, but it looks like some can't help but blame the kid with the funny haircut for a perceived loss of national identity.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What exactly are people rioting about? Did the emos steal their limes?
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post
    What exactly are people rioting about? Did the emos steal their limes?
    No shit that's what they're pissed about! The fuck else are we supposed to put on our beer?*

*and everything else

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I hate emo kids. At least now they have a reason to whine and complain.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

My little sister is emo. I'll tell her about this and she'll laugh.
    It's really quite sad.

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually wrote about this in my "music blog". I think it is such a strange situation. It seems that people are being targeted more for their fashion than for the music they listen to which, if true, should not be labeled as anti-emo but rather anti-scene. Emo is the (mislabeled) type of music they choose to listen to and scene is the fashion/attitude associated. Many of the articles I've read mention that the "emo" kids are targeted because of the music they listen to but what I've read from the Anti-emo side has been about the fact that they "wear eye liner, dye their hair black and wear it across their eyes, and wear girl pants"...and what they've said that was music related was not really specific enough to say anything about. I think that there is a huge disconnect and that people are fighting about nothing really.

/end rant

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

damn. jokes about beating up emo kids are less funny now. bastards

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, so now we have two groups that are traditionally social outcasts (punks and rockabillies) beating and generally fuckin' with another group of social outcasts. WTF?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I'm confused, is there a movement against the much loved Sesame Street character that I'm not aware of?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Can anybody give me a little description about this Emo thing? I have heard about it but I don't get the point.

Roland would have understood.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

There really isn't one.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Can anybody give me a little description about this Emo thing? I have heard about it but I don't get the point.
    yes please, I would like to know it too

also, if possible, dear friends - in your own words, not as a link to an article. An article can always be found, googled, whatever, but since it's you we're with here, I personally would love to hear what your view on that is

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    yes please, I would like to know it too

also, if possible, dear friends - in your own words, not as a link to an article. An article can always be found, googled, whatever, but since it's you we're with here, I personally would love to hear what your view on that is
    My dearest non-native speaker brother! *hug*

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I first put "we" instead of "I" in the second paragraph of the previous post, then got afraid I was taking too much upon myself and changed it...

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure there are others who could explain it far better than me, but musically it's sort of a spinoff of the punk and goth movements from what I know of it. Style/dress wise it's also similar to the goths. Think kids who wear nothing but black and mourn everything including the fact that they have nothing to mourn.

If you rescue me

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

"It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Think kids who wear nothing but black and mourn everything including the fact that they have nothing to mourn.
    You pretty muched summed it up.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure there are others who could explain it far better than me, but musically it's sort of a spinoff of the punk and goth movements from what I know of it. Style/dress wise it's also similar to the goths. Think kids who wear nothing but black and mourn everything including the fact that they have nothing to mourn.
    now we're getting somewhere

I know a lot of such people, only they don't dress in anything uniform, are no kids any longer and have nothing to do with music...

Country
    Country Flag

It might be an incredibly stupid question... but is it true that they cut themselves just to feel they are alive?

It might be an incredibly stupid question... but is it true that they cut themselves just to feel they are alive?
    I don't know about all of them, but I do.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

alot of people do that, whether they would be considered emo or not.

If you rescue me

I just need the guy-liner and dye my hair black and I'll be all set. *cut* mmmmmmm time to go write some bad poetry involving death.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    now we're getting somewhere

I know a lot of such people, only they don't dress in anything uniform, are no kids any longer and have nothing to do with music...

Now imagine if they formed their own subculture, bonded by music and fashion style and you'd understand I think.

If you rescue me

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Crazy stuff this. I can't understand why
    people feel the need to hate anyone,
    even if they're morose, and moody.
    Especially young people who do not
    really know who they are yet. Sad.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Brice, fuck you.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast