Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Anti-Emo Brutality In Mexico: It May Get Worse

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank O, thats my point entirely Mattrick - its not sensible, no self harming addiction (including drugs, alcohol etc) is, thats why its cause for concern not ridicule.

And yes, I do think your shrink is wrong. People sacrificed other people to appease the gods in ancient times, but its not the reason murderers of today commit murders - you can draw paralells but its not necessarily a continuation of every ancient practise.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    As I said. THINKING something works doesn't mean it does. Cutting is your mind BELIEVING it helps. I understand why they do it, as an irrational person with an overly rational perspective on life I more than understand. That doesn't change the fact it's a stupid thing to do. That's like justifying heroin addicts or drunks because 'it's an irrational mind'. [sarcasm]To say these people are 'sick, demented or scum' is very short sighted because they see things irrationally.[/sarcasm]
    Yes, but the difference is that these people lack the internal cut off points to act on the realisation that its harmful. Its not rationalizing their actions, its understanding their viewpoint to be able to treat them.

I could be a shrink if I wanted, a damn good one,
    I'm sorry, but you really would not be...on the whole you come across to me as someone who cannot see any viewpoint that doesn't concur with yours.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I can't believe there is a thread that almost makes it seem like Emo is a race of people or something. They are "sad/confused" teenagers. So what? Almost everyone is confused as a teenager. I was called a "freak" as a teenager because I didn't look like the norm. I can tell you this: I sure as hell didn't get all weepy and defensive about it.
    Rant over.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the trouble is that emo has become a misused label, in much the same way that goth was when I was a teen. Teens with mental health issues are automatically shoved under this label, and its not at all helpful.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post

Yes, but the difference is that these people lack the internal cut off points to act on the realisation that its harmful. Its not rationalizing their actions, its understanding their viewpoint to be able to treat them.
    I'm sure many of these kids very well understand cutting is harmful. If they don't then I think something needs to be done about that. We can't just say 'oh leave them be, they don't understand how bad it is'. Sitting back and allowing our youth to think actions such as this are acceptable just isn't acceptable. Sometimes I think I'm taking crazy pills because everyone else seems to miss the simple truth in these matters

I'm sorry, but you really would not be...on the whole you come across to me as someone who cannot see any viewpoint that doesn't concur with yours.
    Isn't that what you're doing by calling my view point wrong?

Understanding why people do things and sheltering them are two different things. Being a shrink is about guiding people to realizing things about themselves which are the foundations for future issues. What I'm able to do is understand how little things can snowball into a mountain of issues, I can understand where these irrational concepts stem from. If I had any choice but to analyze every person I meet and constantly analyze myself and discovering the hidden truths about my issues. You might say I decided to be my own psychiatrist and I'm more and more free from my issues as time passes.

I think I'm very gifted at putting myself in people's shoes. Maybe you can't accept my view point, which is simple: accepting this as a phase is bullshit. There is a difference between being a lost and confused teenager and what emo kids do. They freakin celebrate and embrace all the negative emotions. IS THAT GOOD? NO! And since many of these emo kids haven't reached adulthood yet we've no telling how far along these symptoms will go and how much they will affect in the future.

I refuse to believe this can't be stopped if people just freakin talked to their kids because most of what these kids want is to be understood and talking and open relationships while help that want.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure many of these kids very well understand cutting is harmful. If they don't then I think something needs to be done about that. We can't just say 'oh leave them be, they don't understand how bad it is'. Sitting back and allowing our youth to think actions such as this are acceptable just isn't acceptable. Sometimes I think I'm taking crazy pills because everyone else seems to miss the simple truth in these matters
    Maybe I'll end up taking crazy pills because you don't read my posts properly before you reply...what you just said is exactly what I just said!

Isn't that what you're doing by calling my view point wrong?
    Not really, you're very antagonistic and then contradictory when you get challenged - thats why I'm saying you wouldn't make a good shrink. I've never witnessed you being impartial or diplomatic in any discussion you've had here.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Seek View Post
    I FIND IT REALLY IRRITATING WHEN TEENAGE FUCKBALLS ON PUBLIC TRANSPORT THINK THAT THEIR CONVERSATION IS SO FUCKING IMPORTANT THAT THE ENTIRE TRAIN CARRIAGE MUST WANT TO KNOW ABOUT HOW SARAH CAUGHT GENITAL WARTS FROM JAKE ON THE WEEKEND BUT THEN PASHED JOHNNO ON TUESDAY NIGHT AND HASN'T TOLD HIM AND OMG LOL LETS ALL SHOUT ABOUT HOW WE THINK SARAH IS A SLAG AND EVEN THOUGH 200 STRANGERS HAVE JUST BEEN INFORMED ABOUT THIS HOW ON EARTH WOULD IT EVER GET BACK TO HER WE ARE GOOD FRIENDS LOL THNX LOL SHE BORROWED MY AVRIL CD AND HASN'T RETURNED IT THE DUMB WHORE DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES IS ON AT 7
    Slag?

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

slag(2) Audio Help /slæg/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[slag] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    British Slang. an abusive woman.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I can't believe there is a thread that almost makes it seem like Emo is a race of people or something. They are "sad/confused" teenagers. So what? Almost everyone is confused as a teenager. I was called a "freak" as a teenager because I didn't look like the norm. I can tell you this: I sure as hell didn't get all weepy and defensive about it.
    Rant over.
    yay!
    thanks love, totally agree.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I think that, although there is a lot of negativity in the emo attitude, there is a similar trend in every generation. From hippies to punkers to metal heads to goth to emo... I wonder what the new trend will be when my daughter reaches that age.

For the record, I think that negative references to "emo" just fuels the fire for them. What fuels a fad or trend is a dislike or hatred for that trend.

I also believe that just because one says that they don't make fun of people outside of their friends doesn't make it OK. A person's intentions speak loud and clear and if you don't like someone for who they are or what they're trying to be, it will come through.

Now, when we are discussing mental illness in some form, that is a whole other discussion. People who cut themselves, for example, need help. Some type of counselling to deal with whatever issues are causing the need to cut. Ways to deal with the pain rather than transferring it. Would anyone tell a girl who cuts herself because she was molested by her uncle for 10 years that she is stupid and weak for cutting? No... what this girl would need is some therapy to learn how to deal with her past.

THAT being said, I didn't necessarily think that emos did any more cutting than those who aren't emos.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Goldmember Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    I think that, although there is a lot of negativity in the emo attitude, there is a similar trend in every generation. From hippies to punkers to metal heads to goth to emo... I wonder what the new trend will be when my daughter reaches that age.
    For the record, I think that negative references to "emo" just fuels the fire for them. What fuels a fad or trend is a dislike or hatred for that trend.

I also believe that just because one says that they don't make fun of people outside of their friends doesn't make it OK. A person's intentions speak loud and clear and if you don't like someone for who they are or what they're trying to be, it will come through.

Now, when we are discussing mental illness in some form, that is a whole other discussion. People who cut themselves, for example, need help. Some type of counselling to deal with whatever issues are causing the need to cut. Ways to deal with the pain rather than transferring it. Would anyone tell a girl who cuts herself because she was molested by her uncle for 10 years that she is stupid and weak for cutting? No... what this girl would need is some therapy to learn how to deal with her past.

THAT being said, I didn't necessarily think that emos did any more cutting than those who aren't emos.
    Yes, but you see adult punkers/rockers/metal heads/hippies because they stand for something and have opinions/a stance on something. You dont see anyone 'emo' outside the teenage years really, because people grow out of it, realizing how trivial it all is. Other subcultures dont, because its not trivial.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry, I guess my shrink whom I saw a couple years back who has been formally trained in such matters doesn't know where cutting comes from. I'm unable to express myself, I'm a very introverted person who is emotional unhinged from those around me. As a result of this I've a lot of pent up emotions. I don't need to cut myself for this.
    No, but you apparently feel the need to antagonize people in the name of acting like you know So. Damn. Much.

So you had a shrink. Good for you. He obviously didn't teach you any freaking compassion.

How about thinking about how others feel for a change? I'll admit I can be a cold-hearted bitch 90% of the time, but dude, at least I can recognize the fact that not everyone has the finely-honed survival instinct I have.

You yourself have admitted to having problems. So do others. Just because you think they are "weak" doesn't mean they are. It just means they have different/less coping skills than you.

You'd do well to figure out that no one is perfect, and remember: whenever you point a finger at someone you're pointing three back at yourself.

Just sayin'.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Goldmember Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DarkThoughts
    Self harming isn't to do with Ancient Greek medical practises, its about being unable to express yourself, needing a release from pent up, unvoiced frustrations that self harmers find they are able to purge through acts of violence upon themselves.
    I'm sorry, I guess my shrink whom I saw a couple years back who has been formally trained in such matters doesn't know where cutting comes from.

I'm sure your shrink does know where cutting comes from. But the reasons for cutting in Ancient Greece are bound to be different from the reasons for cutting today, which Lisa described to the letter.

I'm unable to express myself, I'm a very introverted person who is emotional unhinged from those around me. As a result of this I've a lot of pent up emotions. I don't need to cut myself for this.
    YOU dont, but OTHERS feel the need to. Simple as that. You're assuming that everybody who is introverted deals with it the same way you do.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw a documentary today about a tribe in Africa, still relatively untouched and uninfluenced by modern society.

The main parallel the film crew drew was that, in this small society where everyone at every age, from adolescence up, had a role and a responsibility to the tribe - there was absolutely no teen angst of any form from the pre-pubescent to the adolescents. No rebelling, acting out, depression, because there was no age at which anyone felt excluded or that they didn't fit in in their daily life.

I thought of this discussion straight away when I was watching it...I also found it quite a sad reflection on our society.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

That's actually pretty interesting, and surprising. So apparently teen angst is a product of environment, then.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

absolutely. You don't really go as far as to African tribes, only look back into history until very recent. Before teenagers started being regarded as a separate social group, their only role, responsibility, and purpose was to grow up.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw a documentary today about a tribe in Africa, still relatively untouched and uninfluenced by modern society.

The main parallel the film crew drew was that, in this small society where everyone at every age, from adolescence up, had a role and a responsibility to the tribe - there was absolutely no teen angst of any form from the pre-pubescent to the adolescents. No rebelling, acting out, depression, because there was no age at which anyone felt excluded or that they didn't fit in in their daily life.

I thought of this discussion straight away when I was watching it...I also found it quite a sad reflection on our society.
    Well, that's relative to the hierchy of human needs. Their primary goals in life are to eat, survive, have the bare necessities and maybe some socialization. Our goals during adolescence vastly change. As we grow more used to our more barest essentials being an arms reach away our need to belong and be liked and appreciated will grow stronger.

Society to that African Tribe pretty much ends where their tribe ends. But our society stretches to all corners of our country, information at our fingertips, telecommunications. It's almost impossible to go a day without communicating with someone or being reminded of the world outside our own reach.

Not only are teenagers succeptable to insecurites but too an overwhelming array of facts that all add up to one big fact; they are powerless. There is no big world to explore; it can all be seen. I know more than I care to about the horrors that surround me. I can imagine it difficult to think people care about feeling out of place or alone when 9 year old kids are at war in some countries, famine and genocide is happening, losing of human rights...I imagine to teenagers their problems appear trivial in light of the world they perceive surrounding them and that is full of negativity.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

I love how I'm supposed to refrain from upset gay people but gay people upset a lot of people simply by existing.
    sometimes.

Man THIS is a real problem...do gay folks upset you?

Do you turn away from "Lesbian Porn?"
    wtf, you're taking what I said out of context. Are you saying that raging Christians and southerners and racists wouldn't be ecstatic if all the gays just up and vanished? You obviously misread EVERYTHING I said as I've no problem with gay people at all, they can be gay, it doesn't affect me in the least.

But I agree, it IS a real problem. I'm unsure of why I've been singled out for calling something gay when people like THAT exist.

Perhaps I have misunderstood, but I continue to misunderstand. Your words or not...why repeat them?

I reckon you had a point I do not see though I read the entire thread...cry your pardon.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll just make one point here regarding the use of the word "gay" as slang for something lame...or "something you wouldn't want to do. It IS roughly equivalent to loosely using the words nigger or nigga as slang. It IS highly offensive and rude...especially in a forum where you don't know all the people you are talking with VERY well....whether on the internet or elsewhere. It is one thing to use such words amongst your friends. Noone can really do anything about that, but to use it in public just shows extreme ignorance and a lack of couth. It shows a lack of concern for those you're talking with which can only lead to them having as much/little regard for you as you have for them. I'm quite sure noone here knows if everyone here is/isn't black/white/latin/asian/gay/bi/ (there are some of all of those here) whatever. While to use the expression in such a manner isn't against any rule I'm aware of it does kinda' make people think you're an ass. Just please try to bear in mind people you don't know at all read this stuff. Please have some consideration for others.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Along the Path of the Beam special k is on a distinguished road special k's Avatar

im not sure if anyone has posted the tickle me emo video but here it is

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7IxliAPjAk"]YouTube - Tickle Me Emo[/ame]

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6