Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1732

Thread: Book Dealers-eBay sellers-dt.org buyers/sellers/ to Avoid like the Corona Virus

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

WOW! Crazy stuff!

Sounds like narcissistic mid to late 20's control freak. Definitely sounds like a major douche.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not so much a seller to avoid like the plague, but someone who left me incredulous.

Anyone dealt with James from Quintessential Rare Books? Emailed him today about a book he had priced at $2,250. He offered me a small discount and said he could get it packed to go by the end of this week, if I paid today. Given the value of the book, I requested further photos that the small, blurry photos on Abe Books didn't do justice. I told him I was a serious buyer, but there was no urgency and he could get back to me when convenient.

His response:

"At the moment, I am swamped with customers here coming to the store. I don’t have the time or assistance for someone to take more photos at the moment."

I thought: Of course, a day, a week, sure thing, the guy's busy.

He went on...

"However, the summer months from July to September are my slower months, so email me then, and I’ll take additional pictures for you."

I think he sensed my laconic disposition and took my "not urgent" phrase a little too far. Probably had a queue of customers tossing $2,250 wads of cash at him while he was trying to type his response to me, poor guy. Had time to pack and post the book, but no photos, please. Anyway, I responded sympathetically and promised to email him again on August 9th, around 11am.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I find everything at Quintessential Books to be WAY overpriced...never dealt with him.

ABE.com in general has inflated prices. Maybe it is because my "face" is a business, but EVERY TIME I can negotiate a lower price than that listed at ABE.com....my latest purchases there were some Dark Tower (gee who knew) books all inscribed to to the same gentleman who was in charge of the book's production. I received a 25% discount from listed prices and free FedEx next day shipping...I never would have purchased at the "list" price, but 25% off and free shipping made the books reach the upper end of my valuation, so I pulled the trigger on them.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Book Dealers-eBay sellers-dt.org buyers/sellers/ to Avoid like the Plague

I know James well and had met up with him numerous times a few years ago when I was ramping up my collection. He's an okay guy and aside from one disappointing experience he was always friendly to me and I used to enjoy talking books with him. Although there were times when he did give me some decent deals, in genera I agree with David that his prices are pretty high. That response does seem out of character though. Maybe he was having a bad day.

Edit. Come to think about it, that disappointing experience I mentioned involved a request for photos!

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks David and Paul. Yeah, maybe he's camera shy.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have to share this annoying experience I had on ABE.

I bought a copy of the UK ARC for Heart-Shaped Box from Fine Edition Books in England. Shipping cost was $12.43. The next day I got an email entitled: Extra Charges Requested for Sales Order, requesting another $12.09 for shipping, since whatever service I chose was not the "ABE approved" method for books being shipped over seas. And along with the email was a note stating several more issues with the condition of the proof. I rejected the charges because frankly, I was annoyed. Why offer a shipping choice that I can't use, then DOUBLE the shipping price? I realize shipping is expensive from England and it's not much money, but I felt like they were trying to pull something over on me and I was pissed.

For whatever reason, I was unable to cancel the item on my end, so I had to contact them to do it for me. This morning I get an email stating the book is unavailable, and 8 minutes later I get the snottiest note from Fine Edition Books stating: "Evidently you have discovered how to cancel the order at your end."

Perhaps this is why in all the thousands of dollars I have spent in books, I have only ever bought 2 from ABE.

EDIT: Just saw Bob had an issue with them last fall and Gerald before that. Perhaps I should follow this thread more closely...

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've had the same issues with him. There was a previous discussion about it. Probably numerous previous discussions. He makes it difficult to buy from him. He lists items on Abe, then you make a purchase and he says it's not available anymore. And you can pretty much guarantee that you will receive that extra shipping email after you purchase something. On top of that, it's not unusual to experience the rudeness you mentioned. Somewhere in there is a hint of sanity as I've had some fairly 'normal' email exchanges with him in the past and he comes across as a nice guy. The way he operates is odd and I've never been able to really understand him and why he does what he does.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    The way he operates is odd and I've never been able to really understand him and why he does what he does.
    This statement sums up exactly how I feel too.

Sorry, Dez, that you had that experience with him. It is frustrating. But there are many, many legitimate, competent and friendly booksellers on ABE. Most of my 20 years of experience with ABE orders has been very positive.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    The way he operates is odd and I've never been able to really understand him and why he does what he does.
    This statement sums up exactly how I feel too.

Sorry, Dez, that you had that experience with him. It is frustrating. But there are many, many legitimate, competent and friendly booksellers on ABE. Most of my 20 years of experience with ABE orders has been very positive.
    Thanks guys. Shit happens, but I really wanted that damn book and after repeatedly putting it in my basket, I finally pulled the trigger. I'm just disappointed.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Dez here's one on eBay at what I feel is a reasonable price. It's from Hyraxia. https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/252339412264

Country
    Country Flag

Dez here's one on eBay at what I feel is a reasonable price. It's from Hyraxia. https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/252339412264
    Thanks, Paul. I was looking at that one as well, and I believe folks around here have had good dealings with Hyraxia, although it is hard to keep track!

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Thanks, Paul. I was looking at that one as well, and I believe folks around here have had good dealings with Hyraxia, although it is hard to keep track!
    Definitely, Dez. Only good things to say about the Hyraxia team.

sk

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Me too, even though several members here find some of Simon's (Hyraxia) signed King books to be suspect. I don't collect signed books so I never paid attention. But all my dealings with Simon have been first-class.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks all. I just ordered the proof off Hyraxia's website (international shipping is free, unlike eBay). Hopefully less problems this time!

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I am about two or three days from publicly ranting about a popular Stephen King-related artist that I am (hopefully still) doing business with. We'll see if anything changes in that timeframe. Doubtful.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've had some good experiences with Hyraxia as well. Although I've found better pricing in other places.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

This is through Facebook, and the MAIN THING I want everyone to know is that throughout this ENTIRE TIME, he is logging in, logging out, active, not active, active in the past hour, etc. So, it's not as if he is in a ditch somewhere. The motherfucker is IGNORING ME.

3/5, 7:16pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    Alright, hello again! So, what email address am I sending the $150 to?
    And my address is:
    (address)

3/5, 7:21pm
    Erik Wilson
    My PayPal is
    (email)
    And thanks!

3/5, 7:28pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    Thank YOU. Money sent.

3/5, 7:33pm
    Erik Wilson
    (thumbs up)

3/5, 7:33pm
    Erik Wilson
    I'll get it shipped next week.

3/5, 7:34pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    Woot woot!

3/9, 10:10am
    Shannon Gaisser
    Hi friend, did you send the Batman piece yet? No rush, just excited to get it. :)

3/9, 10:13am
    Erik Wilson
    No- but it is going out soon (I had to build a box/sleeve to mail it in ). It's thick illustration board so it won't roll and go into a poster tube.

3/9, 11:16am
    Shannon Gaisser
    No worries, thank you so much again. Im extremely happy I was able to buy it, thank you. It's wonderful.

3/9, 11:16am
    Erik Wilson
    Thank you!

3/15, 10:56pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    Send it yet send it yet? :)

3/16, 4:10pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    Hello?

3/16, 5:03pm
    Erik Wilson
    Hey! Sorry been gone a bit, went out this afternoon!

3/16, 5:03pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    Sounds good, thankee sai!

3/22, 6:15pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    Do you happen to have a tracking number for the Batman piece?

3/22, 6:21pm
    Erik Wilson
    I'm not home but I'll be back in town tomorrow and look up the tracking - it went retail mail so it can take 8 business days
    But there is tracking on it

3/22, 6:23pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    Cool beans, thanks

3/23, 9:02pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    Hello again, sorry to be a bother, but do you have that tracking number?

3/23, 9:25pm
    Erik Wilson
    Hey, sorry I got held up and didn't get back home tonight but will be back tomorrow for sure (visiting my mother, which always becomes a thing).
    I wouldn't worry too terribly just yet as the outside edge of the delivery window is next Monday/Tuesday, but we'll track it down

3/23, 9:26pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    I'm not worried, I just like knowing where packages are. I love checking the tracking and seeing that HEY its outside my front door lol

Erik Wilson
    (thumbs up)

Shannon Gaisser
    No worries, have fun lol

3/23, 9:27pm
    Erik Wilson
    No worries
    Other than my moms new carport and her yelling about the workers

3/25, 8:47pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    Are you home yet, good sir?

3/26, 8:49pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    ... are you home YET? lol

3/26, 8:56pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    lol I give up.

3/26, 9:12pm
    Erik Wilson
    Ah I stayed for Easter. I'm a sucker or a good son.

3/26, 9:20pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    Lol well happy easter

3/29, 3:43pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    Hello, I would like the tracking number please. Thank you.

3/30, 5:06pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    Hello, I would like the tracking number please, thank you.
    I mean ... I paid for it on the 5th, you sent it out on the 16th ... It's the 30th now ... What's going on?

3/31, 10:39pm
    Shannon Gaisser

4/1, 12:11pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    I've never bought anything from you before, so I don't know if this is how you normally do business, but from our conversations and working relationship in the past, this is not how I would have imagined you conducting yourself.

4/1, 12:15pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    So ... it took over a week for you to "ship" the item after I paid for it immediately, it's way past the estimated time of arrival and still no package, and now I see you're logging into Facebook, and blatantly ignoring my requests for a tracking number. Is that because there IS no tracking number? Or better yet, because showing me the tracking number would show me that you DIDN'T ship it out when you said you did.

4/1, 12:15pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    This is ridiculous.

4/2, 6:58pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    HELLOOOOOOOOO? Any response? Anything at all? I really dont even care if you sent out the piece yesterday, I just need to know the tracking number. Thank you.

4/3, 6:01pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    Dear Mr. Wilson, hello good sir! I'm the guy that bought the beautiful Batman piece you did about a month ago. I was wondering if you, by chance, happened to ship it out yet? And if so, may I please have the tracking number? That would be much appreciated, thank you so much!

4/4, 5:34pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    Dear Mr. Wilson, hello good sir! I was just wondering, at this point, with the artwork not being in my possession, and you refusing to give me a tracking number, and you blatantly ignoring me, even though log in and out of facebook daily, if I should consider this a loss and get PayPal involved? And tell everyone of my experience, which I haven't done yet out of respect? Let me know --PLEASE-- thank you.

4/5, 1:36pm
    Shannon Gaisser
    I have about one more day of patience in me. Come ON man, what the hell is going on?

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

That sucks.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUCK.

I just tried to contest the transaction on PayPal.

And it reminds me I sent it through Friends and Family, and I can't contest it.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

Clown on the Bus Dano has a spectacular aura about Dano has a spectacular aura about Dano's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry man. That sucks. Perhaps if he were made aware of this thread he would pony up. It's bad business and collectors have long memories!

Dan
    Good health to all!!!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I posted this same exact post on every single Facebook post of his since March 5th.

Every. Single. One.

Not only does he know. EVERYONE knows.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Wow. What an asshole.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

lol, me, or him?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I finally heard from Erik Wilson, and he offered me a refund or the artwork. I told him I'd still like the artwork and he said he would ship it out tomorrow and send me the tracking number.

Fingers crossed.

Clown on the Bus Dano has a spectacular aura about Dano has a spectacular aura about Dano's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Surprise, surprise. Hope it works out!

Dan
    Good health to all!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast