Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Dealers-eBay sellers-dt.org buyers/sellers/ to Avoid like the Corona Virus

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I think you are completely right in that, tippy!

(Sorry the book got messed up.)

John

Gunslinger Apprentice JRM is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I never buy from Ebay and I only buy from REALLY popular and good rated sellers from Amazon. I mostly stick to Craigslist. Lol. We meet, we exchange cash for books, we're done.

In fact, I've gotten most of my Stephen King books from Craigslist (about 30) -- all hardcover -- for $5 each, at most. Gotta love bargain shopping. But shopping online usually scares me away.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    I never buy from Ebay and I only buy from REALLY popular and good rated sellers from Amazon. I mostly stick to Craigslist. Lol. We meet, we exchange cash for books, we're done.

In fact, I've gotten most of my Stephen King books from Craigslist (about 30) -- all hardcover -- for $5 each, at most. Gotta love bargain shopping. But shopping online usually scares me away.
    JRM

You are really limiting yourself by not using Ebay. To every bad seller (I've met a couple in my time) you will find 1000 good ones including everyone on dt.com

I've had issues with high rated sellers at Amazon, Abebooks, etc. Shoot, Amazon themselves have a lot to be desired when it comes to packing.

Ratings don't really mean that much. I always try to strike up a conversation through contact to get a feel for the person before bidding if at all possible. Of course, buy it now on a quick sale item won't give me that option but that is the chance I take if I want the item before it disappears.

Tippy has every right to be mad, especially since he gave instructions and why. I think bubble wrap and box should be a requirement on ALL shipping from Ebay. Now the real test for the seller, will he respond with an apology and offer a refund or will he argue, or worse, no communications at all. If he argues or won't communicate, the wrath of dt.com will be on his head (it's worse than Captain Trips)

Honestly JRM, I would rather take my chances with Ebay over meeting people off Craiglist. You could be setting yourself up for a meeting with the Dark Man himself.

All the above is my opinions of course.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I've certainly been on the receiving end of some pretty bad packing and have had items banged up as a result. And I sympathize with tippy4 in this instance. I'm sorry your book got bumped.

However, to play the devil's advocate, I would say that special packaging requests should be discussed before the auction is over.....not after.

One of the things I often forget is that 99% of sellers on eBay are rank amateurs. There is no screening process to be a seller on eBay. Anyone can do it and they do. The seller may have the book already packed up poorly and ready to have a shipping label stuck on it prior to the end of auction. If that were the case and some buyer e-mailed me with his shipping wish list after the auction was over I would probably be a bit irritated.

I usually (but not always) contact the seller as soon as I see something I plan to bid on and ask him about packaging, timeliness, etc. before I bid. I wish I would always do it but I don't. Maybe some food for thought.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    Agreed. Really no excuse for poor packaging.

Newby sellers can claim they didn't know better, and they probably don't - but any time spent on eBay will make most sellers with common sense WANT to pack things well in boxes.

Either way, with the message you sent, it should have been done.
    This seller is not a newbie and has over 6,000 feedbacks....all positive.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    However, to play the devil's advocate, I would say that special packaging requests should be discussed before the auction is over.....not after.
    That is just not realistic as I win less than 10% of the auctions I bid on. I would be wasting HUGE amounts of time.

HOWEVER, I think that on all future won auctions, I will send my packing requirements over BEFORE I send payment, and tell the seller that once he/she agrees to my terms, I will send over payment.

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    Tippy has every right to be mad, especially since he gave instructions and why. I think bubble wrap and box should be a requirement on ALL shipping from Ebay. Now the real test for the seller, will he respond with an apology and offer a refund or will he argue, or worse, no communications at all. If he argues or won't communicate, the wrath of dt.com will be on his head (it's worse than Captain Trips)
    The seller did apologize, and did offer my money back...but that is not good enough. I am not going to waste my time packing the book up, going to the post office and writing several emails just to be back to the point I was before the sale took place.

About the only thing that would make me a truly satisfied customer at this point would be if the seller had another copy that he could send me...covered the postage cost for me to send back the damaged book, and compensated me for my time spent on this fiasco.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Uh...once you bid and win on an item, you've lost that right to negotiate shipping terms not explained in the listing...you can suggest, but you can't demand.

You gotta email before the listing ends...or like you said, you can demand a refund later, and get justifiably annoyed. Part of the buyer's responsibility is to get this taken care of BEFORE buying the item...sorry...

You have the right to demand a refund, of course...but this could have been solved beforehand.

You're a seller just like me, and if any buyer - after the auction ended - came up with new shipping demands, etc., I would absoutely, 100 percent not ship the item, and cancel the auction because of bidder nonpayment.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Most likely, the seller did not even read the email on packaging that Tippy sent him. I do avoid buying from large volume sellers. They are so busy filling their orders that emails often goes unanswered or I am guessing unread.

I also sent packaging instruction. Usually right after I sent in payment. Most of the individual sellers acknowledge the email and shipped in in the requested packaging.

I did purchase 4 collectible books this month from the UK through a private transaction. It was also my fault that I did not request it be packed in a box (who would ship hardcovers overseas in a bubble mailer?!). I guess some people do.....and as a result of the bubble mailer, 2 of the books got bumped. But the seller was extremely professional and offered to reship me the 2 books at no charge.

I feel for you Tippy, I would have been just as upset.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    You're a seller just like me, and if any buyer - after the auction ended - came up with new shipping demands, etc., I would absoutely, 100 percent not ship the item, and cancel the auction because of bidder nonpayment.
    Just my opinion, of course. I think had the request have been to ship the item in a different carrier or speed than what the buyer had paid for would be to me, an unreasonable shipping demand. However, if the buyer politely request a reasonable packaging that I can provide easily, I see no reason to fulfil their request. But you would have replied a yes or no to the request anyway, or cancel the auction as you said and that is what is lacking in Tippy's case.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    Just my opinion, of course. I think had the request have been to ship the item in a different carrier or speed than what the buyer had paid for would be to me, an unreasonable shipping demand. However, if the buyer politely request a reasonable packaging that I can provide easily, I see no reason to fulfil their request. But you would have replied a yes or no to the request anyway, or cancel the auction as you said and that is what is lacking in Tippy's case.
    Yeah, you're right - my view isn't as extreme as I made it sound...(you meant 'not fulfill their request,' I assume).

Basically, though, if an auction ends and I have a winner, and that winner says "I'm only paying once you acknowledge that you are shipping in such-and-such a way," then I'd be seriously put off...

Would I cancel the auction? Now that I think about it, probably not. I'd be annoyed, and wonder "why didn't this lazy buyer take two minutes to confirm this with me before bidding?"

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post

The seller did apologize, and did offer my money back...but that is not good enough.....
    I think that is a fair offer.
    If you go to (or order from) Sears, and are dissatisfied with the item; then receive a refund offer, to ask for more is punitive. You just can't expect reimbursement for travel time, frustration etc. Particularly from a private seller, in a likely one time transaction.
    I hear and understand your frustration, but I don't see you as suffering any damage-tort. (The book was the only thing that was hurt.)
    At least you have a place (www.thedarktower.org), to come and vent.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Uh...once you bid and win on an item, you've lost that right to negotiate shipping terms not explained in the listing...you can suggest, but you can't demand.

You gotta email before the listing ends...or like you said, you can demand a refund later, and get justifiably annoyed. Part of the buyer's responsibility is to get this taken care of BEFORE buying the item...sorry...

You have the right to demand a refund, of course...but this could have been solved beforehand.

Rahfa...one of the few times we have disagreed.

I have the right to expect safe delivery of my merchandise.

I did not make any odd or unusual requests such as demanding that the book be shipped in a purple box with a green bow on top. I just wanted my somewhat expensive item shipped safely.

Bottom line, the seller should have either followed my requests, and if not willing to do so, should have let me know and given me the right to cancel the transaction. He could get a final value fee refund from ebay, and I would have gladly paid his listing fee to avoid the frustration.

(I see that you already sort of eased up on your position a few posts up, but just could not let your original post go by)
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Banned demorgan is on a distinguished road

Nothing wrong with requesting extra protection for your purchase...or asking for a book to be packed in a certain way..especially a medium to high value item. Ive been asked many times and had no problem explaining how the book would be packed up and shipped. On the flip side....I would be grateful that the seller refunded your money without any hastle.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I did not make any odd or unusual requests such as demanding that the book be shipped in a purple box with a green bow on top.
    Yeah, it was a blue bow when I last sold you a book.

Rahfa...one of the few times we have disagreed.

I have the right to expect safe delivery of my merchandise.

I did not make any odd or unusual requests such as demanding that the book be shipped in a purple box with a green bow on top. I just wanted my somewhat expensive item shipped safely.

Bottom line, the seller should have either followed my requests, and if not willing to do so, should have let me know and given me the right to cancel the transaction. He could get a final value fee refund from ebay, and I would have gladly paid his listing fee to avoid the frustration.

(I see that you already sort of eased up on your position a few posts up, but just could not let your original post go by)
    I agree with your general point...I think what I didn't agree with was when you said you'd send payment only after the seller agreed with your terms - after the auction was won.

Obviously, the seller should accomodate any reasonable requests, but you can't negotiate these terms after the fact...you can request, but that's all.

The final value and listing fee is incidental and irrelevant...it's a lost sale if the buyer backs out, and all this should be discussed DURING the auction.

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I hear your point about discussing these things before the auction ends, but like I said, I don't win most of the auctions I bid on...and would just be wasting my time (but saving myself potential frustration if I won).

Mostly, my system of sending my packing requirements after the auction ends has worked for me. This recent situation is the exception and not the rule.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

I guess it all comes down to tone...if somebody emailed me - before payment - and said "hey, you're going to ship this in a padded box, right? I mean, charge me an extra buck or two if you need it, but make sure it's safe..." then I'm sure I'd be fine with that.

That would be a lot different than saying "I'm not paying until I recieve assurance that these shipping demands will be met..." (which you're not saying anyway).

So it's all in HOW it's said as much as what's said.

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed! And I would always go with option #1.

The last thing I would want to do is be a dick to the person I want to take care in packaging my book.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The last thing I would want to do is be a dick to the person I want to take care in packaging my book.
    Book Collecting Rule (Commandment) # 6: Do not be a 'Dick' to the person packaging and shipping your book.

Just trying a little humor, but it does give me an idea for a thread with the 'Ten Commandments" of book collecting.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cujo56 is on a distinguished road Cujo56's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Book Collecting Rule (Commandment) # 6: Do not be a 'Dick' to the person packaging and shipping your book.

Just trying a little humor, but it does give me an idea for a thread with the 'Ten Commandments" of book collecting.
    I like it!

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Rule #1 - NEVER prepay for a book being published by Cemetery Dance.

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

[quote=Cujo56;511537][quote=Randall Flagg;511536]

Hey~~~I resemble that remark! Alright! alright! But, really, I just can't help it!

Dick
    Last edited by Dolso; 05-11-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling
    www.bookslipcase.com

Selling my collection of books and some cases

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

Rule #1 - NEVER prepay for a book being published by Cemetery Dance.

This should be on a plaque or something hanging in every book collector's home.

Jerome, I really like that thread idea.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Commandment # 1

Thou shalt not covet carlosdetweiller's collection!

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Commandment # 1

Thou shalt not covet carlosdetweiller's collection!
    oop's I'm doomed

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

We might all be doomed if we make that a rule.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast