Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: How did the Horn get to Roland?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • He himself picked it up.

65 48.51%
  • It was "a present" or something from Gan.

49 36.57%
  • He just found it over there.

2 1.49%
  • Something else.

11 8.21%
  • I have no idea.

7 5.22%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: So the Horn... hey, let's stop for a sec

Traveler nearlyprescient is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-tet View Post
    ^ Left me breathless, thanks Jean.

Do you mind if i quote " Roland who picks the horn may not drop the boy. Hell, he might find a passable solution in Tull. A Roland who receives the horn from a Higher Force is a pawn." ?
    It think it can be a spoiler.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Horn as gift from Gan or anyone else ruins the whole story for me.
    Oh, you have no idea how happy I was to see this line. I started to think that I am the only weirdo again.
    Thank you.
    Horn as a gift from Gan... no way for me.
    For me it's only one acceptable way of the Horn. That Roland himself picked it up. There is only one question left in my mind; how could he do it if he starts his loop from the desert?
    maybe the same way that Roland can remember telling Eddie about the Boy when in fact, he did not, since the boy did not, in fact, die.
    what I'm saying is, however that paradox is handled in the reality of the Tower, I'd assume that Roland having the horn despite the cycle starting from the desert would be handled in the same way.
    I totally agree with the idea of picking up the horn indicating a completely different character as it is a valid assumption.
    besides, as a gift from Gan...what's the point of putting Roland through all of this trial and error if its going to throw gifts at him that may or may not have major impacts on his quest after any specific cycle?
    If we assume that each cycle is him getting progressively better at reaching the Tower with less pain and heartbreak in his wake, then what's the point of that?
    I'm kind of thinking that explaining the Horn is probably difficult to do without explaining the nature of the loop.
    also: in regards to the story we read being loop 19 and both 19 & 20 starting in the desert...all we really know is that loop 20 starts in the desert. If there was a prologue to The Gunslinger in which Roland stepped from the Tower's top to the desert, then it'd be clear that both loops started in the desert. But as The Gunslinger starts where we can only assume the loop has already begun (whether it started in the non-existent paragraphs before or long before that), we can't really know for sure that both loops begin in the same place.
    Last edited by nearlyprescient; 04-27-2009 at 11:55 PM. Reason: addition

Traveler barneyrfd is on a distinguished road

So he's got the horn on his next loop...so what???

How will the horn help him finally achieve his goal, his destiny in a kinder, gentler way? He's a gunslinger for ka's sake!!

Also, he has no memories of what has gone before so how does he learn from them? According to some in this forum he has been to the tower countless times! Falling under the category perhaps of some guys never learn!

Hard to think after that many "failures" the horn will suddenly turn things around. Will he not look upon the horn as just an heirloom passed down to him? One more thing in that seemingly bottomless gunna he carries around.

And what will he get the next time he gets to the top of the tower and ends up back in the desert? Perhaps the turtle amulet that he did not stop to look for in the Dixie Pig?

Because he will fail again, and again, and again...we all do - don't we? We're only human.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

"To err is human, to forgive divine." I guess one could have expected a nicer ending, if one believes in a merciful God.

The horn appears to be primarily a symbol of the fact that life is not altogether hopeless, even if it is very challenging. I'm not sure we have any thread yet actually speculating on practical uses for it. This one focuses more on the metaphysics of time travel and their implications. It might have been better to post those points with your others on the "That thing you can only talk about..." thread.

I've been enjoying your input, barney. Good to have you with us.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    "To err is human, to forgive divine." I guess one could have expected a nicer ending, if one believes in a merciful God.

The horn appears to be primarily a symbol of the fact that life is not altogether hopeless, even if it is very challenging. I'm not sure we have any thread yet actually speculating on practical uses for it. This one focuses more on the metaphysics of time travel and their implications. It might have been better to post those points with your others on the "That thing you can only talk about..." thread.

I've been enjoying your input, barney. Good to have you with us.
    To the best of my recollection, its mentioned several times that when Roland stands before the tower he will blow the horn. Since he has no horn in our tale the assumption would be that in the next go round he will have it to blow before entering the Tower. What that will change or its significance are purely speculative to the individual reader.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Traveler Aleister Crowley is on a distinguished road Aleister Crowley's Avatar

Id say the only reasonable assumption is that it was indeed a gift from Gan, or the tower.

Traveler barneyrfd is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your welcome pathoftheturtle.

I had just finished the Dark Tower when I posted my few comments so far and I was a little (well alot) angry at the ending. I've cooled off a bit and am trying to look at things in a larger sense now. And I believe I'm going to have to read the story again.

Merlin 1958

I think you are correct, it was mentioned a couple of times Roland would blow the horn before entering the tower. So...maybe...just maybe having the horn on his next loop will make a difference.

But...

I'm wondering if when he cries out all the names of loved ones and those of former ka-tets Roland is in effect "blowing the horn". So still the horn may not be the key piece to a different, more fulfilling ending for Roland.

Or maybe he is happy looping around and around not really settling on an ending.

Maybe he really is a "tower junkie" after all and there will always be a reason to start another loop and another quest. After all, it's his story, his ka...

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

The paradox of ka.
    Roland's quest is either pointless or meaningless. If Gan is good, then challenging Him is wrong. If Gan is not good, then challenging Him is suicide.
    That's not to necessarily assume that Gan is all-powerful. The problem is the Red. If Gan is not the solution to that problem, then what is?
    Let's say, hypothetically, that Gan did not give Roland the horn. Let's say that Gan does not exist. (He might just as well not exist, if He is not allowed to take any action -- if He is morally obligated to let us fend for ourselves by some principle of free will.) So, Roland picked up the horn himself, as a step in the quest he has assigned himself. If he ever reaches the top of the tower, then, he'll find it empty, and he will have a choice: abandon reality to entropy, or try to figure out how to rule it himself. It could be that the Tower offers no real tools for ordering creation. Perhaps the guardians could explain enough that he'd be able to run things... as well as it is possible for them to be run, that is... for as long as he can... even though he is not all-wise.
    I don't believe that this is what Roland wants at all, yet he does behave as though it is necessary. Odd, for a man who believes in ka, isn't it? Why should he worry, and why should it be his responsibility? IMO, it's just because he feels someone should. That someone must. The hope and the faith is that Gan is already in charge, but I think that seeking confirmation is still a good idea. What's wrong with that? Even if one is a willing pawn in some senses, he can still be a man about it.

Traveler noja888 is on a distinguished road noja888's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would tend to believe that Roland went all the way back to the beginning of his life and that Sai King skipped all that and started the story back in the desert because that's where we first met Roland. I think Roland picked up the horn on Jericho Hill. (I think Jericho happened again because his first Ka-tet is not with him.) I think the horn is nessicary to indroduce himself as the line of Eld. I don't think Gan would Palaver with any other. Oh wait... maybe Gan is Eld hmmmmmmmmm........I must Ponder.

Path of the turtle said "He might just as well not exist, if He is not allowed to take any action -- if He is morally obligated to let us fend for ourselves by some principle of free will"

But he did shove Roland through that last door. So Gan atleast took some action.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

There's a Simpsons episode in which Marge gets mugged. She goes to the police and the chief says, "I'm going to tell you what I tell everyone who comes in here: The law is powerless to help you." So, Marge goes vigilante. Later, she's arrested for it and exclaims, "I thought you said that the law was powerless!" The chief replies, "I said we're powerless to help you, not to punish you!"

What I want to know is, if it is okay for Gan to put Roland in the loop, then why wouldn't it be okay for Him to let him out of it? I expect that Letti would counter by asking what reason He put him there for, if He was just going to let him go later. She sees it as a lesson for Roland; a test that he must solve for himself.

I was speaking hypothetically, trying to show that Roland's will and his character have been active parts of this mystic complex all along. Jean said earlier that this thread was about...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ... subject of action face to face with his conscience versus two-subjects relation in which one necessarily becomes an object...
    ... but I don't think that that is really necessary. If we cannot understand these events without viewing Gan as a non-entity or viewing Roland as a spoiled child then it is our understanding which is at fault. The efforts of each have the aim of bringing them into relationship. Like "the gentle wrestlers," which is a Japanese euphemism for lovers, their fight is not from hatred; the winner is the one who hurts the other least. Roland does not need to learn that he does not need Gan: he does need Gan, and he knows it. And Gan is not powerless to help him.

Gan gives the horn, and Roland takes it. Dividing these is a false dichotomy.

That's my answer, Letti. It must be both. I'm voting "Something else."

Traveler mdk101 is on a distinguished road mdk101's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    It has been suggested before that the horn was a gift from Gan based on Roland's growth during the 19th cycle.
    ^ This.
    click for spoilers, I guess

Traveler soapbox99 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default i think we have missed the point

In the chronology of the dark tower world when the gunslinger begins the world has already moved on and by the time Roland makes it to the tower the universe is at its exhausted end, on the very verge of breaking apart. And in my mind there can be no doubt that Roland does not just return the world to the slightly less dilapidated state that it is when he crosses the desert, he actually returns it to the beginning of time. as the reader are shown the beginning of the gunslinger only as a metaphorical return to the beginning a return to where we met our great gunslinger and began our journey. In Roland’s head his life started over from a baby, in shardik the bear’s mind it was his first memories after being made, for the universe back to the forging of the tower and the beams. Time is simultaneous in the dark tower hence the ability to switch between when’s never travelling forward or back but simply stepping through

The horn is the symbol of the beginning of the end to the endless cycle something even so tiny has changed and chaos theory dictates that that small change will ripple out and change other things it may only be one repetition it may be thousand but eventual when things are done correctly Roland will save the tower and restore the world with out returning it to the very beginning. The horn is a symbol of hope for poor Roland hope that one day he will be able to rest.

"Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it."

"We're going to just take it right out, and it won't hurt a bit."
    Ender nodded. It was a lie, of course, that it wouldn't hurt a bit. But since adults always
    said it when it was going to hurt, he could count on that statement as an accurate
    prediction of the future. Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth."

Gunslinger Apprentice High_Desert_Gunslinger is on a distinguished road High_Desert_Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Holy crap I just read all ten pages and all I can say is that this series makes my head hurt lol you guys gave me so many different theories now

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted that he picked the horn up but it hadnt occurred to me hopw this would happen if Jericho Hill was well before the desert.

I think when Roland is pulled into the dessert he still has a past and one in which he took time to pick up the horn. I think this is important as it symbolises Roland taking time out from chasing the tower. As such, it could follow he wiill not let Jake falls as he will take the time to help him.

I think that Roland picking up the horn perhaps symbolises a less self absorbed quest for the tower. I beleive that the loop isint depending on Roland changing in order to end the loop, as Ihave discussed in other threads, it is waiting for the world to change. Therefore, a quest to the tower full of death and betrayal is not a world in which it would survive but a world with a more noble journey is perhaps one where it can. Therefore the horn perhaps symbolises this??

Although, I see Gan more as the divine watch maker - he set the world moving ( I think there is a pasage whereby it mentions how he set the ball rolling, literally - I forget where) he set the world in motion and has left it to it's own devices. It "moved on" It needs to change in order to live side by side with technology and the original magic. I have digressed a bit but I think the nature of Gan is important in considering whether it is possbile he gave the horn to Roland.
    Last edited by Sickrose; 03-20-2010 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Officially my longest post I think!

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I think that Gan gave Roland the horn along with his memories of picking it up after he re-entered his loop into the desert. The Tower is simply a pathway to Roland's salvation; I believe that Roland saved the Tower on his first loop, and now each consecutive loop is the Gan's way of saving Roland as a thank-you. Yes, it appears to be a pretty heavy punishment for the way Roland lost his humanity chasing the Tower, but at the same time Gan realizes he/she cannot simply grant Roland salvation; he must find it himself. So, each loop is made easier by Gan by giving him a new item or a new something if Roland reached some level of humanity in the previous loop.

On a related note: I haven't seen a good explanation of why some think that the loop in the series was the 19th loop. Can someone fill me in, please?
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

John F. Kennedy Flavio is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe this was said before... but I think the Horn is like... some kind of key to the tower too?
    So... maybe... as Roland did not have the Horn the first time he entered the tower, he got the Horn from Gan, becouse he HAS to enter the Tower with the Horn...
    Maybe that (Not having the Horn) is the reason for Gan to make Roland go back to the desert, and start his path again... with the horn... so if Roland makes it to the Tower again... he will have it... and... maybe... a happy ending...
    Dunno...
    PD: When I started reading the last book... I was expecting Roland to get to the top of the Tower and see all his friends come back to life and happy ending...
    Silly, isn't it?

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    I think that Gan gave Roland the horn along with his memories of picking it up after he re-entered his loop into the desert. The Tower is simply a pathway to Roland's salvation; I believe that Roland saved the Tower on his first loop, and now each consecutive loop is the Gan's way of saving Roland as a thank-you. Yes, it appears to be a pretty heavy punishment for the way Roland lost his humanity chasing the Tower, but at the same time Gan realizes he/she cannot simply grant Roland salvation; he must find it himself. So, each loop is made easier by Gan by giving him a new item or a new something if Roland reached some level of humanity in the previous loop.

On a related note: I haven't seen a good explanation of why some think that the loop in the series was the 19th loop. Can someone fill me in, please?
    Interesting theory Syn Saint. I'll have to ponder further.

I think this came about just because of the significance of the number 19 in the series. That led many to believe that perhaps this was loop #19.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Interesting theory Syn Saint. I'll have to ponder further.

I think this came about just because of the significance of the number 19 in the series. That led many to believe that perhaps this was loop #19.
    Thank you very much.

And I figured that would be the reason, but I thought there might be more to it. I overthink things far too often
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Gunslinger Apprentice Ageless Stranger is on a distinguished road Ageless Stranger's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Flavio View Post
    PD: When I started reading the last book... I was expecting Roland to get to the top of the Tower and see all his friends come back to life and happy ending...
    Silly, isn't it?
    Nah, not silly. But King does say there's no such thing. That he never met one to equal "Once upon a time". I think it's funny how he tries to get you to stop reading. Yeah, right.
    "May your luck rise, Roland" -Cuthbert Allgood

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    I haven't seen a good explanation of why some think that the loop in the series was the 19th loop. Can someone fill me in, please?
    It was said that the reason that 19 recurred so much was because 19 was the ka of Roland's world. If the reason for that were because it was the 19th version of that world, due to Roland's cycle, then this next version should have lots of things adding up to 20, and Roland won't have another date with destiny in the ka of 99 world (where the rose is) until 2099. However, this makes little sense, since Robert Browning only lived between 1812 and 1889. (Unless the numerology of the latter world also changes, for some reason.)
    ...I overthink things far too often

John F. Kennedy Chantarelle is on a distinguished road

Wow! What an interesting thread. I always took for granted that Roland picked up the horn. I never considered a different possibility. What interested me is what he didn't do when he was picking up the horn. For me it was always a repeat (or whatever a repeat is if it comes before) of letting Jake fall. I don't think there's many that would say that Roland would have let the boy fall if the MIB hadn't been there. It's because he had to make the choice that Jake died. And I think the same with the horn, except he went back and got it instead of letting it fall.

I wonder what difference this would make to Roland. I always saw the horn as being more Cuthbert's than Roland's and I'm curious to know what Roland would have been like if he'd had this constant physical reminder of his old friend and the loss of him. I would also be interested to know if the introduction of the horn would have made any difference to the tet that we came to know. When Eddie and Roland are first together, after the drugs and the near death, when Eddie says, 'What's that?' would we have had a similar flashback story to WaG? The whole tet may have seen Roland in a different light if they knew the story of Jericho Hill and the journey to the tower may have then been something completely different.

Just my rambling two cents...

Traveler brightmidnight71 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Chantarelle View Post
    I always saw the horn as being more Cuthbert's than Roland's and I'm curious to know what Roland would have been like if he'd had this constant physical reminder of his old friend and the loss of him.

Awesome thread. MANY SPOILERS AHEAD: I totally agree with this sentiment. For me, dropping Jake was everything. Some have asked if Roland's goal is to just go through these tasks over and over, like a video game, trying to get a better score each time, then what's the point?
    What if Roland is never supposed to reach the Tower? What if that's what he's been doing "wrong" every time?

In my mind, the horn would be a constant reminder of not only Cuthbert and in turn Alain, Jamie, Gilead, and Steven and all the sacrifice that had already been made for his quest.
    In the go-round we got to read about, he makes a conscious choice to drop Jake or risk losing MIB, thinking that, he has sacrificed this much so far, let so many people die and killed so many others, what's another boy?

To me, that decision is the crux of his journey. Say, instead of dropping Jake and holding a palaver with Walter for a decade (i think that's how much he aged, but the palaver could have been a hundred years for all we know), he saves Jake and let's Walter go for the time being.
    That time he spent in his palaver, might have been spent further tracking him, with Jake at his side, learning, growing, becoming a man and a gunslinger under Roland's tutelage--a Roland who does not have a diminished right hand and entrusts one of his guns to Jake, not because he can no longer use both at the same time, but because it's Jake's right and privilege. Perhaps the drawing would come later, and perhaps those he draws would be versions of Eddie and Susannah from different worlds, an Eddie who isn't a junkie, a Susannah without the split personality issues and a full pair of legs.

Perhaps the true completion of the journey, would be Roland sacrificing himself, not for the Tower, but for Jake or the ka-tet. Perhaps Roland is meant to sacrifice himself for Sai King, leaving an adult Jake Chambers to travel to the tower and cry the name of Roland of Gilead.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by brightmidnight71 View Post
    ...he makes a conscious choice to drop Jake or risk losing MIB, thinking that, he has sacrificed this much so far, let so many people die and killed so many others, what's another boy?
    I think that at least this much is right. Seems to me that he was resigned to losing Jake because he believed that he'd always been unable to help people whom he cared about.

Traveler JacobChambers is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry i can't read EVERYTHING here right now, i'm too tired, and i will in time, but for now...i have a question

I like the idea of "A Roland that picks up the horn, may not drop the boy" but does this mean we are to assume that because he is to start the loop again from the dessert that it's something that he did between the dessert and the tower that ultimately seals his fate to complete the loop again?

Do you know what i mean?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I always took it that Roland was in a "closed loop" beginning with "The Man in Black......." and ending in the Tower. Therefore, Roland only has "Free Choice" in those confines. So Gan, as Roland's character develpos and matures, shows symbilically that growth by altering things that have already happened and are not in his control.

If you know what I mean!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JacobChambers View Post
    I'm sorry i can't read EVERYTHING here right now, i'm too tired...
    That's okay, quite understand, but it's a topic you may find quite interesting at some point. However, this --
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobChambers View Post
    ...i have a question

I like the idea of "A Roland that picks up the horn, may not drop the boy" but does this mean we are to assume that because he is to start the loop again from the dessert that it's something that he did between the dessert and the tower that ultimately seals his fate to complete the loop again?

Do you know what i mean?
    -- is something you might find already answered on another thread, starting at this post.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast