Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: What would you do if everyone who answered the phone turn into a monster?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Run away and hide

21 30.88%
  • Take people's phones away from them

9 13.24%
  • Kill them

32 47.06%
  • Try to find a way to fix them

11 16.18%
  • Something else...

10 14.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cell (spoilers involved)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Add one more the annoyed-by-the-ending boat.

John F. Kennedy sfischer is on a distinguished road sfischer's Avatar

I liked Cell well enough...it did kind of remind me of Tommyknockers though. And I watched The Happening the other day and that kind of reminded me of Cell.

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Cell was actually the first non-DT Stephen King book I read.
    Bought it at a vacation because there were nothing to do there other than sitting at the pool or beach all day.
    The beginning was great, maybe one of the best parts of any books I've read. It "failed" a little towards the end, but I do love the book.

crazy cat lady ksmithcats is on a distinguished road ksmithcats's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sfischer View Post
    I liked Cell well enough...it did kind of remind me of Tommyknockers though. And I watched The Happening the other day and that kind of reminded me of Cell.
    Love me some M Night Shyamalan, but I totally felt like he ripped off Cell when he made the Happening.

I agree, somewhat frustrating lack of closure, but until everyone mentioned it here, it hadn't bothered me so much. Kind of like when you don't realize you're hungry until you smell the steak on the neighbor's grill.

Along the Path of the Beam BoogerSnax is on a distinguished road

I loved the first half of it. Mainly because I devour post-apocolyptic books like they were candy.
    But at the point where things started becoming super-natural, I got bored. And at the end, where the "changed?" were literally floating along the road, I kept putting the book down to avoid throwing it across the room.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I must say I agree with everything Booger just said.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

I liked the supernatural part of it, actually found it supernatural to begin with. I mean, people going bat crazy like that from cell phones ain't exactly everyday life events.
    I liked the book, found it refreshing with good old fashioned King horror after the fine, but non-eventful The Colorado Kid.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

which reminds me... gotta pick it up and finish it some day... if it isn't too much to ask of an elderly bear

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

even though it is not a dt based book, i think it does have a link to the dark tower universe...the guy is an artist and the descriptions of the artwork he did sounds alot like pics from the gunslinger born comics.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have finished Cell, and now have to say that I liked it a lot. I was bored to death with the beginning - about a third of it - because nothing was happening, except some fussing around; the only thing bears find worth reading about is what happens inside people's souls, and in Cell the characters didn't develop, and, in fact, weren't characters at all - just some hurriedly drawn stick figures (with the single possible exception of Tom, who was at least to some extent tangible). Then I came to think of it, if you pardon the catachresis, as of a very long short story rather than a short novel, and it became more bearable, although still very boring.

It became definitely better after new characters were introduced, although the theoretic part they brought in - hard drives and all - was definitely sophomoric (had the professor suffered some brain damage we didn't know anything about, which put him on the same level of analytic ability as his 12-year-old student?), but at least something started happening, and not in the dull, linear way it had been happening during the first third of the book.

At last, after Alice (an embodyment of a stick-figure) died, everything was just excellent. I loved the rest of the book dearly, and, by the way, am perfectly satisfied with the ending.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

WOOHOO!!

I am so glad you ended up liking it Jean--it is so much more about social aspects than Zombies to me.

But still a very shallow read--fun sometimes.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm glad you finally finished it, and enjoyed it.
    I definitely found it to be a very fun read.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice AcidBumbler is on a distinguished road AcidBumbler's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved Cell. I liked the similarity to The Stand, and I liked the pacing of it. I found it quite a disturbing book, really. Also, I actually liked the open ending; it made me use my imagination. ^+^

Along the Path of the Beam NoLabelBG is on a distinguished road NoLabelBG's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've read it two years ago, and I liked it! Just as Jean, for me the interesting thing is what happens in people's minds and soul, and the way people get to know each other, and how something terrible can turn total strangers in to friends. The idea of the Pulse was great too! In our days, people can't imagine a life without cellphones, and the idea of something that toast your brain through e cellphone is so nice! Hm, yep!
    Yes, the book is very similar to The Stand! I didn't know that, because I read the Stand after Cell. When I compare them, I think that Cell is really something like a modern version of The Stand. That's cool in some way.
    The bottom line is, that for me, this was a very interesting and dynamic story! A lot of action going on!

Also, the end was fine for me! I've never read what King posted on his site. Does someone have a link?
    [COLOR="Red"][B][SIZE="1"][FONT="Verdana"]To see some Bulgarian
    Stephen King book covers, click here:

Gunslinger Apprentice osseolax28 is on a distinguished road

this is the only book by king that i have hated. i found myslef only finishing just to finish. i felt it was honestly a waist if my life to read it.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kronz is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I had the hardest time getting through the opening 50 pages of this book. When it first came out I bought it and read in about 25-30 pages and set it down in irritation. It was just too frantic and mostly I read to relax, right? Anyways I finally decided to give it a shot and still it took me two or three days to get through the first chapter, after that I read teh rest in about five hours, mostly in one sitting. It was like I just wanted to get it over with.I LOVE zombie movies and have seen literally dozens, and I don't own or use a Cellular phone, so I should love this one. But I don't. It was good fun, sure, but the characters were mostly hollow and I seriously could not stand all the mentions of Sharon and Johnny Gee. Gag me with a spoon. That he actually reunited with either of them at the end was a huge disappointment. Where's the King of Pet Sematary, unafraid of just letting the bad stuff out permanently?

I didn't buy the whole telepathy telekinesis angle either. Pretty thinly stretched premise. Anyways. As a speed reader hybrid of The Stand and Dawn of the Dead, it was alright. As an entry into the horror fiction canon, well, I think not.

The worst part though has to be the tagline on my dust cover:

There's a reason cell rhymes with hell.

That is the worst extraneous text I've ever seen on a King jacket and I can't believe more than one person thought it was fit to print.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kronz View Post
    The worst part though has to be the tagline on my dust cover:

There's a reason cell rhymes with hell.

That is the worst extraneous text I've ever seen on a King jacket and I can't believe more than one person thought it was fit to print.
    Oh good Lord, I don't even remember that one... must have blocked it out...

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I would send out a global text to my phonebook not to answer their phone........then I'd go into full combat mode.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd send a global text telling people to answer immediately...just cause I want the zombies to come.

Jean, I don't remember that tagline on the book either. I wonder what edition it was. Kronz?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice Kronz is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

It's the first line on the inside flap of the American hardcover from Scribner.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, that must have just been so bad my brain refused to register it as existing on the same frequency as the rest of the book.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NoLabelBG View Post
    I've read it two years ago, and I liked it! Just as Jean, for me the interesting thing is what happens in people's minds and soul, and the way people get to know each other, and how something terrible can turn total strangers in to friends. The idea of the Pulse was great too! In our days, people can't imagine a life without cellphones, and the idea of something that toast your brain through e cellphone is so nice! Hm, yep!
    Yes, the book is very similar to The Stand! I didn't know that, because I read the Stand after Cell. When I compare them, I think that Cell is really something like a modern version of The Stand. That's cool in some way.
    The bottom line is, that for me, this was a very interesting and dynamic story! A lot of action going on!

Also, the end was fine for me! I've never read what King posted on his site. Does someone have a link?
    It was very short, he just said..."the reboot worked".
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

John F. Kennedy Flavio is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I voted kill them...
    Well... i would become a zombie in the first moment
    I always have my cellphone with me

Gunslinger Apprentice Ageless Stranger is on a distinguished road Ageless Stranger's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Yeah, fuck the guy in the harvard shirt.
    That's great!
    "May your luck rise, Roland" -Cuthbert Allgood

Gunslinger Apprentice Dagavidiab is on a distinguished road Dagavidiab's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nonno, the worst part has to be the end.... ALL THE #$%&/ END! The telepathy, the hive mind, the line for the phone.... ALL!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast