Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: What would you do if everyone who answered the phone turn into a monster?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Run away and hide

21 30.88%
  • Take people's phones away from them

9 13.24%
  • Kill them

32 47.06%
  • Try to find a way to fix them

11 16.18%
  • Something else...

10 14.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cell (spoilers involved)

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

the quote is on the back of I am legend

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes! but i don't have my book with me ..... as a matter of fact... *sigh* i'm gonna have to search Nigel's room and/or car for it...

bangoskank1

Seeing how I was born and raised here in Boston the story was kinda cool to me....at one point they actually walked thru my neighborhood on rte 1....cool stuff.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

:radioactive: Cell - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

Ah! Time for a new book of the month!

Cell...

I found this to be a very quick read and I came away from this book a little annoyed. It has a "Stand" type feel but wasn't nearly as riveting... it felt a little thin to me.

What did you think?
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I was let down by the so-called ending. I know King defended this saying that

Spoiler:
    everyone was starting to recover

but I would have preferred a better ending.

Overall, though, I enjoyed the book, especially the beginning!

John

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought the book was a great read. If it would have been me, I would have taken it a bit further at the end too.

I've always been fascinated by the relationship of the human mind to a computer, so that part was really interesting to me.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

i thought it was great. the end annoyed me as well though there were way to many questions for a book of that size. and it had no closure. The stand had Closure, Even The Dark tower had some. Cell? nothing. everything was fallign to shit, and in the end we were left wonder what the hell happened/ happens.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmm, I don't know how I felt about Cell. I thought it was an enjoyable read, although it was a little too much of a zombie gore fest at the start
    Yeah, the ending was a bit vague...I don't generally mind that sort of ending, but you expect a little more closure from King in general.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I really enjoyed this book. I was hooked from the very beginning. I may be alone on this but I actually enjoyed the ending. I really didn't feel there was a need to explain where the pulse came from. Maybe if he had broadened the story and we were seeing it from numerous perspectives, but we weren't, and that's one of the things that I really enjoyed about it, how it just focused on a small group of people and their experiences through this crazy event.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

bangoskank1

blah blah blah ending this and ending that....bottom line is these dudes walked literally right by my house in this story...for real tho...so of course I be biased..the whole thing even started on Boylston St....I work on that street...so i mean ..ya ...kinda cool stuff when your actually "there" so to speak....Heather?...aint you from Mass?? just not as close i think...but still it hadda play into your opinion a bit...

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Everyone walked passed my house in the Stand

bangoskank1

Wasn't that the house that Harold left his Payday wrappers at?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yep, I am. Opposite side of the state, though. But I do agree that I loved that it partly took place in Boston, as it's one of my favorite cities. I wish he would write more stories around this area.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bangoskank1 View Post
    Wasn't that the house that Harold left his Payday wrappers at?
    Pfft--Harold never came this way. He lost his head way before me.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked Cell. I thought the start was particularly good, and the whole idea of zombies being caused by mobile phones was brilliant and scary.

I did hope that we would find out the cause, who sent it etc. What it a malicious act to bring the country to it's knees? Or a government ploy to control the population subliminally which when disastrously wrong?

In the end it wasn't about that though. It was about a group of people (well one in particular) coping with their world crumbling around them, and personal tragedy, and on that level it worked very well.

I didn't even mind the ending. In fact I thinks it's best that we don't know what happened to his son.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

that's all i have to say about that!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure why people associate what happened in Cell to "zombies". They were never dead. The heard what was being transmitted and it rebooted their brains all the way back to lizard (or whatever). Its not really a zombie book at all.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Not technically zombies, but very zombie-like behaviour is how it seemed to me, ie a mindless bloodlust and being controlled by a core entity.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess I'm too technical on the definition of a "zombie"
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm making my own definition of zombie:

Zombie (noun) - of or relating to one (alive or dead) who's mind has been altered in numerous ways that effect the coherency of their thinking and decisions.

Better Matt?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I might have misapplied the term there, not thinking.

They're certainly not zombies in the horror movie 'walking dead' sense.... yet since to all intents and purpose the person they were is gone... isn't that a form of death? Of course 'walking dead' doesn't neccesarily mean 'zombie.'

I tend to apply the term to those undead of a slow sleepwalking type, like the Romero zombies. Although their physically alive, I seem to remember them acting like that. (Did they run about? I forget.) Due to their nature as walking eating machines and I think the term applies in this case though.

I can understand reservations with using the word though, as it is often overused I think. (As an aside people often refer to the deadites of the evil dead films as zombies, but since a)some of them are possessed living people and b) they're pretty lively with a vicious cunning all of their own, I wouldn't.)

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked, Cell, but also found it a bit thin. I would have liked a broader story, but I suppose if it had been, King would have been in jeopardy of having a novel too Stand-like for comfort. Maybe he was afraid of repeating himself, so to speak. As for the basic story, I loved it. I've always been pretty sure cell phones are evil.

Donna

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

Gunslinger Apprentice Cuthbert Heath is on a distinguished road Cuthbert Heath's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i actually enjoyed it a lot having the characters meet people from my town and walking on streets/highways i drive on was pretty cool it put you in the story but besides that i still thought it was a great book...

John F. Kennedy JRSly is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm not sure why people associate what happened in Cell to "zombies". They were never dead. The heard what was being transmitted and it rebooted their brains all the way back to lizard (or whatever). Its not really a zombie book at all.
    The book was dedicated to George Romero, associating the phone-crazies with zombies was surely intentional.

I really liked Cell quite a bit, it had a very visceral feel that hooked me in. It was actually the book that got me off on a big Stephen King kick, so it's hard to say how I might like it if I'd read some of his classics before. Comparisons to The Stand are easy to make. I agree with others that on one hand Cell does feel like a rather light story next to The Stand, but on the other hand I wouldn't necessarily want to see such a fully-fleshed out, broad scenario and it is interesting to look at an apocalyptic event with a small frame of view.

I did find myself wanting to know more about the Pulse, I'm like this with a lot of stories..always want to know how things work and what not, I was just curious and fascinated about how and why it might've been done. But I completely understand, especially in the tradition of zombie movies, letting the initiating element simply be that and not a major story point.

And as far as the ending goes, I was a bit angry at it. But reading Stephen King's more definitive ending that he posted on his website made it sit much better with me. It wasn't a complete ending to all of the events, but it did give better closure to the small story that we'd been told.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSly View Post
    And as far as the ending goes, I was a bit angry at it. But reading Stephen King's more definitive ending that he posted on his website made it sit much better with me. It wasn't a complete ending to all of the events, but it did give better closure to the small story that we'd been told.
    To be honest, this really bothered me. I still pretend that he didn't say anything more about it. I mean, if you're going to leave a story open ended like that where the reader will decide in their mind where it goes, leave it as such. If you're going to continue on with the story, and make a sequel of it, then that's one thing but I didn't like how he felt he had to post a little blurb on his site to make people feel better about it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast