Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: What would you do if everyone who answered the phone turn into a monster?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Run away and hide

21 30.88%
  • Take people's phones away from them

9 13.24%
  • Kill them

32 47.06%
  • Try to find a way to fix them

11 16.18%
  • Something else...

10 14.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Cell (spoilers involved)

Gunslinger Apprentice Ageless Stranger is on a distinguished road Ageless Stranger's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

It really didn't seem all that bad to me. Maybe I'm easily entertained.
    "May your luck rise, Roland" -Cuthbert Allgood

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I liked it too. :shrugs: Each to their own I guess.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I don't know. I don't think I would turn into a zombie unless it was someone I know calling me. Because I won't answer the phone if the number is not programmed into my phone.

Along the Path of the Beam Mrs. Underwood is on a distinguished road Mrs. Underwood's Avatar

Ha! It's funny I should finally come over to see what the Cell thread is like after having a conversation about what I'd do in just such an occasion last night. A friend and I both agreed that if ever we're in the vicinity of other folks with cell phones and more than one starts ringing at the same time, we'll start backing slowly away, maybe looking for something to bludgeon people with if need be. So yeah, I guess that's what I'd do. And thanks goes to Uncle Steve for preparing me mentally for that an eventuality.

At any rate, I've seen this book get a lot of bad reviews, but I personally loved it. Out of his more recent set of novels, as in the past ten years, it was kind of nice to see him return to something so unabashedly violent and scary. I love almost all of his books, the quieter ones as well, but it seems books like Cell capture my attention and hold it a lot more easily. Especially with a beginning like this one had. How can you not read more after that?

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cell is the book that brings this up for me, but it also relate to how he has depicted gay characters or events throughout his body of work. I've read SK nearly constantly since my teen years, but when I came out in my 20s I was seeing that almost mention of a gay character was universally derisive depiction. It bothered me even more because that was also around the time that I heard the rumor that Naomi was gay, and I thought he wasn't being very understanding of his daughter.

Cell seems to be the first time that I can think of where he's had a major gay character and where it hasn't been treated in a cruel or dark fashion. I nearly quit reading SK because of the tone that I was consistently seeing. I'm now in my 40s, and I've mellowed in that because I'm recognizing that his time-frames and settings are all consistent with gay harassment/bullying/etc. I was really bothered by it for a long time though.

I don't normally pick apart the literature that I read, but it's been such a part of my life through varying stages I've often wondered if this was noticeable to other people. Has anyone else that might just happen to be straight notice this trend, or is it just me because it was so close to me?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Losers Club podcast episode on the novel:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/podcas...e-losers-club/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5