Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Thread: He is Legend (w/ "Throttle" by King & Hill) - Gauntlet Press

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I am confused. What makes the two (I believe to be Tor editions) books so rare?

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I am confused. What makes the two (I believe to be Tor editions) books so rare?
    If one explains a joke, it is never funny...
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

<--------Obtuse. TFCTU.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Just like the rare 1st edition of Lisey's Story...the one WITHOUT the signature.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Just like the rare 1st edition of Lisey's Story...the one WITHOUT the signature.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Do you have a history of ordering books from Gauntlet? Publishers tend to take care of their best customers first. I suspect that Barry recognized your name as a long time good customer and took care of you.
    I would bet that this is the case.

I have no idea if these belong in the Catalog. Perhaps we should wait until a few people receive them for personal inspection before deciding. Just a thought.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I just got my copy of the TOR hardcover of HE IS LEGEND from Barry at Gauntlet. The signature sheets are not "tipped in." They are just loosely "laid in." I don't think that this should qualify as a separate edition in the catalog.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Wait...so it's the book with a seperate loose-leaf signature sheet?

That's not a signed/limited at all (hell, even Flatsigned rebound their books...haha).

Or am I misunderstanding?

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post

Or am I misunderstanding?
    No, you understood correctly. Just a trade edition with the three signature pages laid in separately. Could be taken out and put into another book if one so wished.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

If that's what it takes to make a signed limited, then my copy of the Tor He Is Legend proof is a signed limited also--it has the signed sheets laid in also! Ridiculous!

John

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I would call this a bit of the grab of the money.

Yes, I was disappointed when I opened the package.

To top it off I got two copies of one of the sig sheets and was missing one of the other ones. Luckily Barry has a spare of the one I am missing so he will make the set whole.

Still.......

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

wow - am I glad my order was rejected...

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    wow - am I glad my order was rejected...
    Me too. Gauntlet must have had enough of selling PC copies on ebay of "He is Legend" and used the sheets on this.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

But what can a person do? It was one of those "you snooze, you lose" situations. You want the book then you take a chance at it, if you don't act fast enough someone else will get it instead.

The buyers have to rely on the seller to provide accurate information. In this situation the seller said the sheets were "tipped in". Nowhere did he mention the sheets were laid loose inside the book.

I was under the impression that tipped in meant that the book was made first and the sheets attached with an adhesive later. I'm guessing that I was wrong?

Life is a garden...dig it!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

That's always been my understanding of the term "tipped in".

John

Country
    Country Flag

Oh well, you live and learn.

The book itself is worth around $25 so basically we paid $75 for some signature sheets.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lophophoras View Post

But what can a person do? It was one of those "you snooze, you lose" situations. You want the book then you take a chance at it, if you don't act fast enough someone else will get it instead.

The buyers have to rely on the seller to provide accurate information. In this situation the seller said the sheets were "tipped in". Nowhere did he mention the sheets were laid loose inside the book.

I was under the impression that tipped in meant that the book was made first and the sheets attached with an adhesive later. I'm guessing that I was wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    That's always been my understanding of the term "tipped in".

John

That's the only definition I'm aware of too and the only one I can find related to books.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...%20tipped%20in

These were not "tipped in", but just layed inside.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Yes, I was disappointed when I opened the package.

To top it off I got two copies of one of the sig sheets and was missing one of the other ones. Luckily Barry has a spare of the one I am missing so he will make the set whole.

Still.......
    Sorry to hear that, Bob

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Barry 'placed' the signature sheets in the book.
    They can be kept as is, removed, or carefully glued in.
    The 12 books are unique and will always be so.
    Not far different from the Knowing Darkness editions that had a Michael Whelan original sketch art included-placed in but not bound.

I would guess that any of the 12 recipients could sell their book and recoup their expenditure.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually...sorry to say this, but it sounds more like a Tim Miller's work...
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How many sets of signature sheets has he sold in the past year? My guess is close to 100. So these 12 really aren't anything special. If they were tipped in as advertised then its a slightly different story, but at the end of the day its just one more small press publisher acting unscrupulously.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    How many sets of signature sheets has he sold in the past year? My guess is close to 100. So these 12 really aren't anything special. If they were tipped in as advertised then its a slightly different story, but at the end of the day its just one more small press publisher acting unscrupulously.
    I agree with that. Also the huge number of PC copies and selling proofs/arcs. Even some proofs had these sheets!

Country
    Country Flag

I did have him include a note on signed Gauntlet Letterhead that stated that the TOR copy that I recieved from him was one of only two sold by Gauntlet with the King/Hill signature sheet included.

Not that it makes much of a difference but at least it provides a little provenance.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lophophoras View Post
    I did have him include a note on signed Gauntlet Letterhead that stated that the TOR copy that I recieved from him was one of only two sold by Gauntlet with the King/Hill signature sheet included.

Not that it makes much of a difference but at least it provides a little provenance.
    I must have the other then.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast