Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Wizard of Oz

11 78.57%
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

3 21.43%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1930s: Final

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1930s: Final

For the seventh and final round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for one film you would like to win the tournament and be declared the best film of the 1930s.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

The Wizard of Oz (1939)
    Directed by Victor Fleming

Watch Trailer

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
    Directed by David Hand

Watch Trailer

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Fantastic finalists!!

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Snow White

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Fantastic finalists!!
    Yup it's very cool and unexpected to see these two make it to the end! Two absolute immortal classics.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I dislike both movies so much, I refuse to vote.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Oz - so many memories watching this one each year.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Anyone ever do The Dark Side of the Moon synced up with Oz thing? I did with my friend back in high school. We actually had to rent it from a store back then! Can you imagine?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    How come? I feel like both are such an integral part of American culture.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Guns are an integral part of American culture. Doesn't mean I must like it (nor that I stick my head in the sand and ignore it).

I just feel fatigued by the two films, and to see that one will be voted best of the decade just adds to the fatigue.

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry that this decade didn't work out for you, boss. Hopefully overall you're happy with the rankings, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Guns are an integral part of American culture.

The Scarecrow has a gun in Oz and it took me years before I noticed it.

The poppy snow falling on the group to make them sleep was made from pure asbestos.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm so happy to see both of these in the finals.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone ever do The Dark Side of the Moon synced up with Oz thing? I did with my friend back in high school. We actually had to rent it from a store back then! Can you imagine?

Yeah, I gave it a try a year or two ago. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to loop the TDSOTM or not, but I listened to it about 1.5 times before the amusement wore off and I stopped the movie.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

It does loop/synch a bit if you keep it going but the first play is still amusing or I just never matured one. Probably the latter, ha!

Two great villains here and some similarities too. Both are villains that choose evil rather than being sympathetic villains in any way. Both send armies/hunters after a young girl they want something from and both put their victims to sleep at some point.
    We've not had a musical make it this far either and now the two finalists are both musical films.

Country
    Country Flag

Only a few more days left in our 1930s tournament, so get your votes in if you haven't yet! Though it's looking pretty definitive at this point.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Watching The Wizard of Oz right now on TCM, and it's still great! Glad with my vote.

It was last night for me and watching it again just made me love it more. Paying more attention to the sepia toned segments gives clues to Dorothy's upcoming "dream". The Fraud fortune teller tells Dorothy he sees Auntie Em upset for Dorothy in the crystal ball and later, Dorothy can see Auntie Em in the Wicked Witch's gazing ball upset about Dorothy.

I've never read the book but I know they were silver slippers instead of ruby and that there is a whole economic thread that runs through it where the scarecrow represents farmers and the tinsmen represents industry, yellow brick road represents gold standard and all that but never analyzed that aspect of it because I haven't read the books, has anyone here read them?

Country
    Country Flag

I did read the original book as a kid and barely remember it. But I would love to dive in again, maybe there is a nice new edition of the books?

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It was last night for me and watching it again just made me love it more. Paying more attention to the sepia toned segments gives clues to Dorothy's upcoming "dream". The Fraud fortune teller tells Dorothy he sees Auntie Em upset for Dorothy in the crystal ball and later, Dorothy can see Auntie Em in the Wicked Witch's gazing ball upset about Dorothy.

I've never read the book but I know they were silver slippers instead of ruby and that there is a whole economic thread that runs through it where the scarecrow represents farmers and the tinsmen represents industry, yellow brick road represents gold standard and all that but never analyzed that aspect of it because I haven't read the books, has anyone here read them?
    I read The Wizard of Oz to my son when he was younger. The silver slippers is one of the many differences from the movie. I wasn't doing a deep analysis of it though so I don't know about any metaphors for the economy.

Country
    Country Flag

In a strong finish to the ninth part of The Great Movie Tournament, our best film of the 1930s is The Wizard of Oz (1939), directed by Victor Fleming.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Well deserved! Love it or hate it, can't deny Oz is an emblematic film that's still talked about and cherished til this day.

Country
    Country Flag

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Well deserved! Love it or hate it, can't deny Oz is an emblematic film that's still talked about and cherished til this day.
    Agreed, I really can't imagine another film winning this decade. Even after all these years it's still a movie that I imagine almost everyone has seen at least once.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread