Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: RIP Bill Bender-AKA Merlin 1958

Traveler ClintBarrett is on a distinguished road

I am very sorry to hear of the passing of William Bender II, he was clearly a respected and beloved man. My deepest condolences to his family, friends and all those who knew him. Changing the color of the site to black as a sign of respect is a very touching gesture.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Come on folks. The book is gorgeous. Please submit a bid.

Citizen of Gilead namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    There have been no bids yet?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by namelessnpoor View Post
    There have been no bids yet?
    Two.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Don't think I will be able to bid on it as I have just paid to get this TDT Rebound...

That's gorgeous! I wonder who did such fantastic work.

Is yours one of the extremely rare editions that featured a mint condition, uncirculated 1969 US $50 bill bound in at the back of "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption"?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

"I opened the envelope and read the letter and then I put my head in my arms and cried. With the letter there were twenty new fifty-dollar bills."

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't have many pictures of Bill, but here is one from a Los Angeles event with the Rock Bottom Remainders. Bill of course is the tallest person in the pics. I'll leave it to others to figure out who else is pictured.

It was an honor to be there with you all and to be at the last Rock Bottom Remainders event. Bill was a sweet man. He was always very nice to me. He had a strong personality, but i believe he always meant well. He will be missed. He meant something to me though I barely knew him.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Now we know L-R who the people are/were.

Including the mysterious female.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

That's gorgeous! I wonder who did such fantastic work.

Is yours one of the extremely rare editions that featured a mint condition, uncirculated 1969 US $50 bill bound in at the back of "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption"?
    It certainly is. One of 3.

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I’m glad there are bids, honouring Bill, and supporting here and a decent charity.

I miss his posts.
    Nobody likes a clown at midnight

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I bought this for you Bill. Thank for being my pal.

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very cool Mr RT.

I was gifted a trade Charlie the Choo Choo a few years back that I treasure from Bill.

Very cool.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Four Past Midnight commemorative book sold for $1,600!!!!

Cost to produce the book and ship it to winner was $350. Yes, that low as Glenn Chadbourne donated his art, and the binder used materials left over from previous projects I have done with him. Special thanks to David at Betts who donated all fees related to the transaction, as well as taking the time to post the auction on his site.

Thus a $1,250 net profit.
    $625 will go the The Shriners Children's Hospital, and $625 to our site to help keep it vibrant and running.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The next and last commemorative edition is going to be epic!

Using a true 1st/1st Different Seasons, the novel will be divided into four individually bound books (one per story).
    I have art in hand from Glenn Chadbourne, and Don Maitz. Glen and Don have each done an original piece for each story.
    It looks like Alex McVey and Clarke McBrando will each do two color pieces.

Glorious endpapers have been chosen and are also in hand.

The books will be bound in Midnight Blue calfskin (Midnight blue is the NY Yankee color-(an homage to Bill Bender), cover art stamps for each book and the slipcase will be brilliant white!

In addition, this book will be only the fourth ever book that I have had bound with mint condition un-circulated 1969 US $50 bill bound in. The $50 bill will be at the end of Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption.

The Colophon will be a bit more subtle-not actually mentioning Bill Bender (many prospective buyers for the Four Past Midnight book were mystified, and avoided the book as they had no idea who Bill was).

Following the colophon will be a detailed description of the endpapers chosen for this project.

Here is a rough draft describing the endpapers. Feel free to skip the description, as this post has become rather lengthy.

Spoiler:
    These four iconic stories feature the following custom endpapers:
    Lokta-
    Blue/Yellow/Gold Marbling on Natural Lokta paper that is Handmade from the fiber of Nepal's paper plant, Daphne cannabina.
    Renato Crepaldi Hand Marble 063-
    These limited edition hand marbled papers are individually hand-marbled, no two are exactly the same.
    Thai Marble Momi Firestorm-
    Hand crumpled; creating a soft, crinkled, and textured paper.
    Italian Press “Skull”-
    Eco-friendly and made from organic by-products. Produced with 100% green energy. This Italian paper has a distinctive texture and appearance.

Citizen of Gilead ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light

Country
    Country Flag

Sweet! Congrats to the winner!!
    WANTED:
    Any DT S/L’s #181

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Four Past Midnight commemorative book sold for $1,600!!!!

Cost to produce the book and ship it to winner was $350. Yes, that low as Glenn Chadbourne donated his art, and the binder used materials left over from previous projects I have done with him. Special thanks to David at Betts who donated all fees related to the transaction, as well as taking the time to post the auction on his site.

Thus a $1,250 net profit.
    $625 will go the The Shriners Children's Hospital, and $625 to our site to help keep it vibrant and running.
    That's pretty cool, congrats !
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Fuck me, I haven't logged on here for ages and only today saw the In Memory of on the front page. What an absolute kick in the guts that is to hear this horrible news.

Wild Bill was really good to me when i first joined here, was supportive and taught me so much about King collecting. Plus I loved his warped sense of humor. Hell, the man even sent me a surprised signed Revival back in the day!

Miss you already Bill.

Country
    Country Flag

That sounds like another excellent edition.

And Glenn, David, and yourself Jerome, all the effort and time and dedication to Bill, just shows how much he meant to so many

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

So I found out about Bill's passing away on Facebook. It's been ages since I've logged in here. Bill and I clashed a few times, but he was also just a really sweet guy. We messaged back and forth to the point brackets broke apart somewhat regularly; in fact I logged in tonight (with help lol) to find one last long and previously unseen message from him. It kinda broke me up a bit. He was sometimes rough around the edges, but also super kind. He long ago gifted me a s/n Roger Dean artist print and then when I was out of work and couldn't afford to have it framed insisted on sending the $s to have it properly framed and matted. I still have it and always will. I'm a sentimental guy; so was Bill. He'll be remembered fondly. I miss him.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The next and last commemorative edition is going to be epic!

Using a true 1st/1st Different Seasons, the novel will be divided into four individually bound books (one per story).
    I have art in hand from Glenn Chadbourne, and Don Maitz. Glen and Don have each done an original piece for each story.
    It looks like Alex McVey and Clarke McBrando will each do two color pieces.

Glorious endpapers have been chosen and are also in hand.

The books will be bound in Midnight Blue calfskin (Midnight blue is the NY Yankee color-(an homage to Bill Bender), cover art stamps for each book and the slipcase will be brilliant white!

In addition, this book will be only the fourth ever book that I have had bound with mint condition un-circulated 1969 US $50 bill bound in. The $50 bill will be at the end of Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption.

The Colophon will be a bit more subtle-not actually mentioning Bill Bender (many prospective buyers for the Four Past Midnight book were mystified, and avoided the book as they had no idea who Bill was).

Following the colophon will be a detailed description of the endpapers chosen for this project.

Here is a rough draft describing the endpapers. Feel free to skip the description, as this post has become rather lengthy.

Spoiler:
    These four iconic stories feature the following custom endpapers:
    Lokta-
    Blue/Yellow/Gold Marbling on Natural Lokta paper that is Handmade from the fiber of Nepal's paper plant, Daphne cannabina.
    Renato Crepaldi Hand Marble 063-
    These limited edition hand marbled papers are individually hand-marbled, no two are exactly the same.
    Thai Marble Momi Firestorm-
    Hand crumpled; creating a soft, crinkled, and textured paper.
    Italian Press “Skull”-
    Eco-friendly and made from organic by-products. Produced with 100% green energy. This Italian paper has a distinctive texture and appearance.
    Hey Jerome! I don't actively collect these days, but just wanted to say you put together truly beautiful books and at the same time what a kind tribute/memorial to Bill these are.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

RIP Wild Bill.

I just saw the news, and am very sad about it. Bill was definitely a friend to me. We'd chat about many subjects in lengthy conversations. We met up for a meal when I was 'home' in Phoenix a number of years ago. He was absolutely one of the most open people to the newbies here. He was dramatic, but he was a true presence here and will be missed.

I know I'm not here too much anymore, but I want to know that I love you all!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

12, I repeat twelve pieces of original art in the Different Seasons book. Four pieces each from Glenn Chadbourne, Don Maitz, and Alex McVey! Some in color.

And a mint conditioned un-circulated 1969 USA $50 bill.

Gunslinger Apprentice mcbanick has a spectacular aura about mcbanick has a spectacular aura about mcbanick has a spectacular aura about mcbanick's Avatar

That’s a trove of great art. I’m sure it looks incredible
    WANTED
    DT Limiteds #293, #398
    70s Inscribed Stand
    70s Inscribed Shining
    YOP Inscribed Firestarter

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Just found this thread recently. Is this book going to be auctioned to raise funds? Where will it be sold?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    Just found this thread recently. Is this book going to be auctioned to raise funds? Where will it be sold?
    No sure yet. The last book was sold via silent auction on Betts site.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast