Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1930s

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
    James Whale

Watch trailer:

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Angels with Dirty Faces (1938).

"Keep the change, ya filthy animal!"

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Freaks (1932)
    Tod Browning

Watch trailer:

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937).

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Haha was literally my next one. So I'll go with:

Alice in Wonderland (1933)
    Norman Z. McLeod

Watch trailer:

An amazing live action adaptation, with effects kind of mind-boggling for the time.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Haha was literally my next one. So I'll go with:

Alice in Wonderland (1933)
    Norman Z. McLeod

Watch trailer:

An amazing live action adaptation, with effects kind of mind-boggling for the time.
    Yeah, I'll second that.

Country
    Country Flag

Stagecoach (1939).

Country
    Country Flag

Duck Soup (1933)
    Leo McCarey

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

It Happened One Night (1934).
    Dir. Frank Capra

Country
    Country Flag

Mad Love (1935)
    Karl Freund

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

I'll pause here and give a chance for people to come in a hopefully second a lot of these as we've already got a backlog of 20 films waiting to be seconded!

Country
    Country Flag

I'll pause here and give a chance for people to come in a hopefully second a lot of these as we've already got a backlog of 20 films waiting to be seconded!
    I cannot second anything until at least two other people have done so.

I will therefore nominate...

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935).

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I'll kick things off with not just the best movie of the 1930s, in my opinion, but one of the best of all time, and the funniest movie ever made:

Bringing Up Baby (1938)
    Howard Hawks

Watch trailer:
    2nd

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Swing Time

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Snow White.

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Snow White.
    Cool. I can now Second All Quiet on the Western Front (1930).

Country
    Country Flag

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939).
    Dir. Frank Capra

Country
    Country Flag

Shanghai Express (1932)
    Josef von Sternberg

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

The Rules of the Game (1939).
    Dir. Jean Renoir

The Thin Man,
    2nd Rules of the Game

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    The Thin Man,
    That was going to be my next nomination, so... Seconded.

Edit: Shit; I'm out of sequence.... someone needs to Second another film first.

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second It Happened One Night and count Tim's second.

Country
    Country Flag

Easy Living (1937)
    Mitchell Leisen

Watch trailer:

2ND The Bride of Frankenstein

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    2ND The Bride of Frankenstein
    And I'll second Frankenstein.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast