Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1930s

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Was deciding between two films that were done in an early widescreen format that was tried briefly in the late 1920s and early 1930s, and only a handful of those large-format films actually survive. Both are from 1930. One is The Bat Whispers, which was a direct inspiration for the creation of Batman, but I think this one is the better-looking one (and has been released in HD), plus it has John Wayne in his very first starring role, I believe:

The Big Trail (1930)
    Raoul Walsh

Watch trailer:

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Fury.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second The Big Trail.

The Raven needs some love though...

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    I'll second The Big Trail.

The Raven needs some love though...
    Absolutely: seconded!

sk

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Lost Horizons.

Country
    Country Flag

Need one more!

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Nom - A Tale of Two Cities (1935) dir. Jack Conway
    Seconded.

And that is that. BOOM!

Country
    Country Flag

That's 96, indeed! Thank you, everyone! As always, I think we've gotten together a very eclectic and great group of films that represent the decade well. It will be fascinating voting and seeing how things rank.

Thankfully, lots of these movies are streaming on various platforms and many can be freely found on YouTube, so if you'd like to get ready and catch some of the nominees, you'll have a few weeks. Voting begins on Monday, February 6.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    That's 96, indeed! Thank you, everyone! As always, I think we've gotten together a very eclectic and great group of films that represent the decade well. It will be fascinating voting and seeing how things rank.

Thankfully, lots of these movies are streaming on various platforms and many can be freely found on YouTube, so if you'd like to get ready and catch some of the nominees, you'll have a few weeks. Voting begins on Monday, February 6.
    Thank you for organising this Mae!

Country
    Country Flag

Very welcome! The 1930s is actually one of my favorite decades of all time so I'm super excited for this part of the tournament.

Country
    Country Flag

Here are the remaining few movies I didn't get to nominating:

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post

Thank you for organising this Mae!
    Seconded!

sk

Country
    Country Flag

Some stats:

Number of nominations per year:
    • 1930: 6
    • 1931: 7
    • 1932: 12
    • 1933: 14
    • 1934: 7
    • 1935: 10
    • 1936: 11
    • 1937: 7
    • 1938: 7
    • 1939: 15

Directors with multiple nominations:

Charlie Chaplin: City Lights; Modern Times
    Edmund Goulding: Dark Victory; Grand Hotel
    Gregory La Cava: My Man Godfrey; Stage Door
    Jack Conway: A Tale of Two Cities; Libeled Lady
    Jean Renoir: Grand Illusion; The Rules of the Game
    Karl Freund: Mad Love; The Mummy
    Leo McCarey: Duck Soup; The Awful Truth
    Lloyd Bacon: 42nd Street; Footlight Parade
    Rouben Mamoulian: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde; Queen Christina
    Sam Wood: A Night at the Opera; Goodbye, Mr. Chips
    Tod Browning: Dracula; Freaks
    Victor Fleming: Gone with the Wind; The Wizard of Oz
    William Wyler: Dodsworth; Wuthering Heights

Busby Berkeley: 42nd Street; Footlight Parade; Gold Diggers of 1933
    Fritz Lang: Fury; M; The Testament of Dr. Mabuse
    George Stevens: Alice Adams; Gunga Din; Swing Time
    Howard Hawks: Bringing Up Baby; Only Angels Have Wings; Scarface
    Josef von Sternberg: Morocco; Shanghai Express; The Blue Angel
    Mervyn LeRoy: Gold Diggers of 1933; I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang; Little Caesar

Alfred Hitchcock: Sabotage; The 39 Steps; The Lady Vanishes; The Man Who Knew Too Much
    Frank Capra: It Happened One Night; Lost Horizon; Mr. Smith Goes to Washington; You Can't Take It with You
    James Whale: Frankenstein; The Bride of Frankenstein; The Invisible Man; The Old Dark House
    Michael Curtiz: Angels with Dirty Faces; Mystery of the Wax Museum; The Adventures of Robin Hood; The Walking Dead

George Cukor: Camille; Dinner at Eight; Holiday; Little Women; Sylvia Scarlett; The Women

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Tough week at work and at home. Looks you all did a great job with the nomination process. Can't wait for it to start. Thanks, as always, Mae.

Country
    Country Flag

So, here is a quick look at where each nominated film should be currently streaming, so you could check out some of the nominees you haven't seen before voting starts:

42nd Street: HBO Max
    A Night at the Opera
    A Tale of Two Cities: TCM
    Alice Adams
    Alice in Wonderland
    All Quiet on the Western Front
    Angels with Dirty Faces
    Animal Crackers
    Babes in Toyland: Roku Channel, Freevee, Redbox
    Baby Face : Roku Channel
    Bringing Up Baby: HBO Max
    Camille
    City Lights: HBO Max, Criterion Cgannel
    Dark Victory
    Dinner at Eight
    Dodsworth: Amazon Prime, Kanopy
    Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: Classix
    Dracula
    Dracula's Daughter
    Duck Soup
    Easy Living: Criterion Channel
    Footlight Parade
    Frankenstein: Classix
    Freaks: HBO Max, Classix
    Fury
    Gold Diggers of 1933: HBO Max
    Gone with the Wind: HBO Max
    Goodbye, Mr. Chips
    Grand Hotel: HBO Max
    Grand Illusion: Criterion Channel
    Gulliver's Travels: Amazon Prime, Paramount+, Hoopla, Tubi, Kanopy, Pluto
    Gunga Din
    Holiday: Criterion Channel
    I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang: HBO Max
    Island of Lost Souls
    It Happened One Night: Criterion Channel, Tubi
    King Kong: HBO Max, Starz
    Libeled Lady: HBO Max
    Little Caesar
    Little Women: Criterion Channel
    Lost Horizon: Fubo, Crackle
    L'Âge d'Or: Kanopy
    M: HBO Max, Criterion Channel, Kanopy
    Mad Love
    Merrily We Go to Hell
    Modern Times: HBO Max, Criterion Channel, Kanopy
    Morocco
    Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
    Mutiny on the Bounty: HBO Max
    My Man Godfrey: Amazon Prime, Roku Channel, Hoopla, Criterion Channel, Tubi
    Mystery of the Wax Museum
    Ninotchka
    Only Angels Have Wings
    Queen Christina
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
    Sabotage: HBO Max, Criterion Channel, Kanopy, Redbox
    Scarface
    Shanghai Express
    She Done Him Wrong
    Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Disney+
    Sons of the Desert: Hoopla
    Stage Door
    Stagecoach: Amazon Prime, HBO Max, TCM, Roku Channel, Tubi
    Swing Time
    Sylvia Scarlett
    Tarzan and His Mate: TCM
    The 39 Steps: HBO Max, Criterion Channel, Pluto
    The Adventures of Robin Hood: HBO Max, TCM
    The Awful Truth: Criterion Channel
    The Big Trail
    The Black Cat: Classix
    The Blue Angel: Kanopy, Freevee
    The Bride of Frankenstein
    The Good Earth
    The Hound of the Baskervilles: Kanopy, Tubi
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    The Invisible Man
    The Lady Vanishes: HBO Max, Criterion Channel, Pluto, Freevee
    The Man Who Knew Too Much: HBO Max, Criterion Channel, Kanopy, Hoopla
    The Mummy
    The Old Dark House: Kanopy, Tubi, Mubi
    The Petrified Forest
    The Public Enemy: HBO Max, Showtime
    The Raven: Roku Channel
    The Rules of the Game: Kanopy, Criterion Channel
    The Scarlet Pimpernel: HBO Max, Criterion Channel
    The Testament of Dr. Mabuse: HBO Max, Criterion Channel
    The Thin Man: HBO Max, TCM
    The Walking Dead
    The Wizard of Oz: HBO Max
    The Women
    Top Hat: HBO Max
    Vampyr: HBO Max, Criterion Channel
    White Zombie: Amazon Prime, Paramount+, Kanopy, Tubi, Hoopla, Freevee, Shudder
    Wuthering Heights: Amazon Prime, Kanopy
    You Can't Take It with You

Additionally, most of these can also be found freely on YouTube, of dubious quality and legality.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Thanks for putting together the list Mae!

Babes in Toyland is also available on Prime, although it's listed as March of the Wooden Soldiers.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Thanks for putting together the list Mae!

Babes in Toyland is also available on Prime, although it's listed as March of the Wooden Soldiers.
    You're very welcome! I hope people find it useful and take advantage. I just watched 42nd Street on HBO Max last night, it was great seeing it again and in HD this time, first time probably since my film class in school!

And yes, March of the Wooden Soldiers I believe is the shorter version of Babes in Toyland.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

The only one I have not seen is Alice in Wonderland

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    The only one I have not seen is Alice in Wonderland
    Oh you’ve got to find it and watch it! It’s absolutely amazing!

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen well, several and don't stream. Know that Libeled Lady is on TCM tonight (Saturday) at 9 (CST). Will tape.

We are getting free Epix, now MGM+, this weekend. Looks like they are adding a lot of older movies to their schedule.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I had a '30's movie on my DVR that I just watched last night. Came back here to see if it was in the tournament, but it wasn't even nominated. It was Treasure Island (1934). Surprised it wasn't even nominated (but I guess I have seen less then 96 movies from the 30's so my bar is low).
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

It's actually not one I'm even really aware of!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    I haven't seen well, several and don't stream. Know that Libeled Lady is on TCM tonight (Saturday) at 9 (CST). Will tape.

We are getting free Epix, now MGM+, this weekend. Looks like they are adding a lot of older movies to their schedule.
    Did you manage to watch it?

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I did. It reminded me of something, but can't quite out my finger on. But not Nick and Nora. It was obvious, but entertaining.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11