Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2023 Oscar Discussion/Contest Thread

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://deadline.com/2022/12/interna...ow-1235204487/
    The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today revealed the 15-film shortlist of movies that will advance to the nominations process for the Best International Feature Film Oscar. As we have previously reported, this is a year without a hands-down front-runner, and all of the movies in our preview have made the cut. See the full shortlist below.

While there were no jarring snubs on AMPAS’ shortlist, one film we weren’t sure about making the cut is India’s submission, Last Film Show, which did make it. This is the first time that India has been shortlisted since Lagaan was nominated 20 years ago. Along with Pan Nalin’s Last Film Show, a testament to the whole of the Indian market is that another movie, RRR, has been recognized by U.S. bodies in other categories.

Breaking out some more interesting details, this is the first time that a movie from Pakistan has been on the roster. Saim Sadiq’s Joyland debuted in Cannes as the first Pakistani movie ever in Official Selection and won the Jury Prize in Un Certain Regard. It was then subject to a ban in its home country over censorship, which was later reversed.

Elsewhere, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu’s Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths is in the mix for Mexico, marking his third time on the shortlist.

Here’s the full list of 15 on the shortlist, in alphabetical order by country:

Argentina, Argentina, 1985
    Austria, Corsage
    Belgium, Close
    Cambodia, Return to Seoul
    Denmark, Holy Spider
    France, Saint Omer
    Germany, All Quiet on the Western Front
    India, Last Film Show
    Ireland, The Quiet Girl
    Mexico, Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths
    Morocco, The Blue Caftan
    Pakistan, Joyland
    Poland, EO
    South Korea, Decision to Leave
    Sweden, Cairo Conspiracy

Country
    Country Flag

My own predictions for the International shortlist were here: https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver...=1#post1266186

Looks like I got 8 of 15 right, which is not great. I feel like Brazil's Mars One and Ukraine's Klondike are the biggest snubs for me.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't been that out of the loop this year, but I feel this RRR film really came out of nowhere. I haven't heard anyone talking about it.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I haven't been that out of the loop this year, but I feel this RRR film really came out of nowhere. I haven't heard anyone talking about it.
    Really? I feel the opposite. It's been on my radar ever since it dropped on Netflix, there's been so much buzz about it since at least the summer, but it's dubbed on Netflix and not in its original language so I still haven't seen it.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I got to see Babylon and Fabelmans this weekend, so I feel like I've seen most of the films that could get nominated for Best Picture. I feel like Banshees is the front-runner right now.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Banshees, Fabelmans and Everything are the three best films I saw last year, still need to see some big ones though.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm in the minority I guess. I didn't get Banshees at all. I watched it without knowing what was going to happen and I just didn't believe. Maybe it's some kind of metaphorical junk that went over my head, but I really disliked it.

I'll add, since I watch all the award shows before the Oscars - what was with the Critics having two winners on stage at same time. NO.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    I'm in the minority I guess. I didn't get Banshees at all. I watched it without knowing what was going to happen and I just didn't believe. Maybe it's some kind of metaphorical junk that went over my head, but I really disliked it.

I'll add, since I watch all the award shows before the Oscars - what was with the Critics having two winners on stage at same time. NO.
    I don't think there was anything metaphorical that went over your head, that's probably why you didn't enjoy it. You were probably expecting something more profound when there really isn't anything.

It's about friendship and how people change over time. What I found interesting is that Colin Farrell's character is a genuinely nice guy who ends up changing himself for the worse just to please another person.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think they lost me when
    Spoiler:
    the guy started with the sheep shears.
    I did not believe that for a moment. Only if the guy was drunk or insane and he didn't really seem either.

I did watch The Menu today. I'll take it over the Banshees anyday.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nope your not. We shut it off.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Web, why would you watch a movie like that? How do you not know by now that that's a film that's not for you?

And, yes, you are both in the minority. It's a fantastic film.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Web, why would you watch a movie like that? How do you not know by now that that's a film that's not for you?

And, yes, you are both in the minority. It's a fantastic film.
    True...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast