Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Halloween Horror-thon 2022 (Snacks Not Included)

Gunslinger Apprentice OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, Muppets Haunted Mansion was highly disappointing
    Alright, we'll call it a draw.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Leading up to Oct.

31 days of Horror

Halloween Cooldown

Reviews:

Oct 3 V/H/S $$$ Lots of weird stuff in this anthology. This is NOT a movie that you would say, hey "family member" want to watch a scary movie tonight? At least the first part of it anyways.

Oct 4 Barbarian @ Theater * $$$$ Well, that was memorable! I think the name was a tad misleading. It's a fairly well worn story given a pretty unique vision.

[Disclaimer: These are of course just my opinions]
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I recently watched The Wolfman (after having it on my list for years) and thought it was just OK. Nothing really groundbreaking, and the story was a little "meh," but it was a fun, easy watch. I really enjoyed The House with a Clock in Its Walls, though. That one was a lot of fun.

And Amanda, I finally watched The Wretched! And damn it, wouldn't you know it...I fell asleep for a few minutes. That's what happens when I think I can successfully stay awake for a movie while lying down. It definitely held my interest and wasn't boring, though I would've liked a little more explanation or backstory about the witch.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I liked Hellraiser.
    Queer for Fear is a really good show. Episode 1 explored Mary Shelley, Oscar Wilde and Bram Stoker. Episode covered James Whale and Hitchcock leading into Anthony Perkins. A very sad part was the reading of James Whale's suicide note. Going to see Trick 'r Treat in the theater today!

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Leading up to Oct.

31 days of Horror

Halloween Cooldown

Reviews:

Oct 5 Mr. Harrigan's Phone * $$ So this wasn't a bad movie. For me, it was a good Lifetime Channel movie. I'd never watch it again.

Oct 6 Planet Terror $$$$ Hits so many highs from beginning to end. Style, Gore, One Liners!

Oct 7 Hellraiser 2022 *$$ This is how the movie goes, play the puzzle box, Cenobites show up, someone dies. This happens over and over and over. At 2 hours, I was bored with the repetition. If it were trimmed down, and the Cenobites hidden for later in the movie, I would have enjoyed it more.

Oct 8 A Quiet Place *$$ Nice story, until every move the characters make are written specifically to bring on more calamity.

Oct 9 The Cannibal in the Jungle *$$$ A found footage, documentary, Animal Planet movie. I was pretty entertained by it. There's some blood, guts, and terror in it. It's on Discovery+, but was kinda hard to find there.

Oct 10 Manhattan Baby *$ I listened to a review of this movie, by someone who liked it, after viewing it. Listening to that review was better than watching the actual movie. The editing wasn't very captivating. The big moments fell flat.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I recently watched The Wolfman (after having it on my list for years) and thought it was just OK. Nothing really groundbreaking, and the story was a little "meh," but it was a fun, easy watch. I really enjoyed The House with a Clock in Its Walls, though. That one was a lot of fun.

And Amanda, I finally watched The Wretched! And damn it, wouldn't you know it...I fell asleep for a few minutes. That's what happens when I think I can successfully stay awake for a movie while lying down. It definitely held my interest and wasn't boring, though I would've liked a little more explanation or backstory about the witch.
    Have you seen Wolf with Jack Nicholson? Much better!

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't! I'll have to look it up.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Halloween Ends is a movie.
    The Descent is still really good.

Country
    Country Flag

Jennifer's Body was interesting and fun, but I wish it leaned more into the horror. The plot wasn't as crisp as I'd have liked, but it had a unique tone and wittiness that reminded me a lot of Promising Young Woman.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll be in the minority but I really enjoyed Halloween Ends. It was interesting to see the story go in an unexpected direction and I can't help it I love all the callbacks. And of course Jamie Lee Curtis got hers. I'm not even sure I'd classify it as a horror movie, but I enjoyed it.
    Alright, we'll call it a draw.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Leading up to Oct.

31 days of Horror

Halloween Cooldown

Reviews:

Oct 11 Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 * $$$ I've always enjoyed the original, but the acting they did back then was very odd. This remake, (of several now) is pretty good. Maybe not as unsettling as the bizarre original, but very menacing regardless.

Oct 12 Night of The Demons * $$ This fell kinda flat. But, there is an f/x with a lipstick tube that was super impressive.

Oct 13 Monsterland * $ Anthology of some low quality horror.

Oct 14 Wickerman Remake * [I still need to watch, but I'm keeping it on the list.]

Oct 15 The Rite * $$$ I've seen my fair share of exorcism movies, and this one stood it's ground among them.

Oct 16 Don't Breathe 2 * $$$ Not perfect, but plenty of it was great.

Oct 17 Hush * $$ There's no story. Just a person being chased around her house. I would rate it bad, but there's worse out there.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Work, Kids soccer, and Halloween activities have had me under the crunch. But I still found time to fit in a good amount of movie watching.

Leading up to Oct.

31 days of Horror

Halloween Cooldown

Reviews:

Oct 18 Joy Ride * $$$ A dark version of Duel.

Oct 19 Haunted Asylum * $$$ Pretty cool found footage usage in this one. But since I had to read the subtitles I couldn't focus on what was happening on screen at all times and that definitely ruined some of the "what's that in the background" moments.

Oct 20 Feardotcom * $$$ Strange vibe from this one. It pulled from films of it's time, but I think it probably inspired some after it.

Oct 21 The Wicker Man Remake * $$$$ Great! Strange place. What the hell is going on here? Cage is awesome.

Oct 21 Evil Dead Remake * $$$$ Gross out to the max! Very dark version.

Oct 22 The Haunting 63' * $ Maybe it was the story, or maybe the direction, but I was pretty bored. The remake certainly upped the action from this version.

Oct 22 Believers * $$ On the outside, this is a cheap movie. But the story is actually interesting. Because of production, it left this as just okay.

Oct 23 An American Werewolf in London $$$$ Classic. Solid story, great horror, awesome ending.

Oct 24 Cthulhu Mansion * I still need to watch

Oct 25 8 Legged Freaks $$$ Very cool giant monsters film. But it went on too long.

Oct 26 Train To Busan * $$$$ Wow, I was really impressed. I'm used to hype around movies being disappointing, but this one actually delivered.

Oct 27 The Exorcist I still need to watch

Oct 28 Gremlins I still need to watch

Oct 28 Fall * $$$ It's similar to The Descent, 47 Meters Below, Frozen. This was in a vertigo inducing location and had some nice twists. I'd definitely recommend it if you've been wanting to see it.

Oct 29 We All Scream For Ice Cream $$$ The way victims die in this Masters of Horror, satisfy me every time I watch it.

Oct 30 Goosebumps $$$$ I never read the books, but feel like this really gives a good idea of them.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Something I came across that you all might like. Night of the Living Dead 68' with all kinds of AI clean up. It was posted last year. I watched a up to the first zombie and it looks great. Here's the info from the person who posted it on youtube.

"Original video was processed with Deep Learning algorithms to achieve modern look and quality. Here is the process:

1. Footage stabilization and noise/dust/scratches removal with After Effects and Neat Video
    2. Restoration with DeepRemaster, removing scratches and film damage
    3. Frame interpolation to get smooth look using DAIN method. Result is 60 FPS video
    4. Colorization using DeOldify with NoGAN. Colors are not accurate, only for ambient mood
    5. Upscaling using Topaz Video Enhance AI, upscale preserving detail and reducing noise
    6. Automation with Python scripts and AWS Thinkbox Deadline as queue manager
    7. RTX 2070 Super 8GB, 32GB RAM, Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core. Approx 48hrs/10min video processing."

I usually watch NotLD on Easter myself.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw Speak No Evil last night. This type of film is more terrifying to me than any movie with ghouls, monsters, vampires etc., That ending especially shook me to my core. I can't remember the last time I had a physical reaction to a film like this. From essentially minute 1 I already felt the tendrils of the film slowly coiling around me and tightening. I actually had to take small pauses throughout the film cause... damn.

On a related note, I think I'm getting too old to 'enjoy' films like this. I used to be obsessed with stuff like this; some of the earlier Haneke work, films like Salo and Serbian film etc., I could watch and appreciate them for their perceived artistic merit. But now it's becoming really difficult for me to sit through these kinds of films.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I saw Speak No Evil last night. This type of film is more terrifying to me than any movie with ghouls, monsters, vampires etc., That ending especially shook me to my core. I can't remember the last time I had a physical reaction to a film like this. From essentially minute 1 I already felt the tendrils of the film slowly coiling around me and tightening. I actually had to take small pauses throughout the film cause... damn.

On a related note, I think I'm getting too old to 'enjoy' films like this. I used to be obsessed with stuff like this; some of the earlier Haneke work, films like Salo and Serbian film etc., I could watch and appreciate them for their perceived artistic merit. But now it's becoming really difficult for me to sit through these kinds of films.
    The couple that hosts is married in real life. I don't know how but that makes it worse.

I saw Smile twice, love.
    Prey for the Devil was what you would expect although some of it is interesting.
    I liked Deadstream on Shudder but the other three people watching it with me hated it.
    This season of AHS is pretty good so far.
    And ended it last night with a new episode from Local 58, an analog horror channel on Youtube that was really creepy.
    Horror never stops though, might watch Terrifier 2 next....

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm planning out all the movies I'll watch this year. I have this list, just need to get them sorted.

Last year I printed a blank calendar and put one movie for each day. I marked them off as I watched. If I missed a day, I just made it up at another point of the month. It really kept me on track for my Horror-thon.

Here's the calendar I'm using this year. https://calendarkart.com/wp-content/...h-Holidays.pdf
    I'll begin on Sept 24th and go until Nov 4. 42 DAYS of Horror!!!

I love your devotion!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2