Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1940s

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Dead of Night

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Second Stormy Weather. The Nicholas Brothers are the greatest tap dancers ever and their last dance in this movie...wow.

Nominate - A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945) Dir. Elia Kazan
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Adam's Rib (1949)
    George Cukor

Watch trailer:

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Sullivan's Travels

I second The Killers

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Sullivan's Travels
    Seconded.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will second A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Kazan is such a great director.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will nominate All The King's Men (1949), Dir. Robert Rossen. Based on Robert Penn Warren's Pulitzer Prize novel with politics at its core, and an Academy Award winner for Best Picture, Best Actor (Broderick Crawford), and Best Supporting Actress.

Country
    Country Flag

A Matter of Life and Death (1946)
    Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger

Watch trailer:

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Nominate - How Green Was My Valley (1941) Dir. John Ford
    Second

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Dead of Night.

Battleground

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    A Matter of Life and Death (1946)
    Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger

Watch trailer:
    2ND

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nominate - Twelve O'Clock High (1949) Dir. Henry King

Country
    Country Flag

Nominating Mae West, my namesake:

My Little Chickadee (1940)
    Edward F. Cline

Watch trailer:

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I second 12 o'clock high

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will nominate Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe (1940), Dir. Ford Beebe and Rod Taylor. Loved these serializations.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will second My Little Chickadee - Mae West and W. C. Fields - what a great duo.

Country
    Country Flag

Second All the King's Men

Nominate Sergeant York (1941) Dir. Howard Hawks

5 left on my list!

Country
    Country Flag

This is for Bill:

The Naughty Nineties (1945)
    Jean Yarbrough

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second The Ox-Bow Incident.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    5 left on my list!
    I have about 25 more

Country
    Country Flag

By the way, only 36 slots remain. Some really good ones still out there!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will nominate To Have and Have Not (1944), Dir. Howard Hawkes. Kinda surprised not to see the Bogart and Bacall film not already nominated.

How about some love for Might Joe Young - gotta shill a little for my ape friend.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    By the way, only 36 slots remain. Some really good ones still out there!
    Four movies that won the Best Picture Oscar have still not been nominated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast