Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1940s

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    I will nominate one of my favorite horror films, The Wolfman (1941), dir. George Waggner. Lon Chaney Jr., Bela Legosi, Claude Rains, Ralph Bellamy - great cast.
    I will second, was literally my next nom! Surprised it took so long.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I will nominate one of my favorite horror films, The Wolfman (1941), dir. George Waggner. Lon Chaney Jr., Bela Legosi, Claude Rains, Ralph Bellamy - great cast.
    I will second, was literally my next nom! Surprised it took so long.
    Me too!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

2ND Detour and Nominate Murder, My Sweet

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Foreign Correspondent (1940)
    Alfred Hitchcock

Watch trailer:

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Foreign Correspondent (1940)
    Alfred Hitchcock

Watch trailer:
    Second

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I nominate Pinocchio (1940)

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

My Darling Clementine

Country
    Country Flag

The Scarlet Claw (1944)
    Roy William Neill

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Gilda.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will second The Ghost and Mrs. Muir - love this movie.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will nominate Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941), Dir. Victor Fleming - to think, Spencer Tracy, Ingrid Bergman (tied with Streep and McDormand for Oscar nominations - second only to Hepburn), and Lana Turner in one film.

Country
    Country Flag

I will nominate Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941), Dir. Victor Fleming - to think, Spencer Tracy, Ingrid Bergman (tied with Streep and McDormand for Oscar nominations - second only to Hepburn), and Lana Turner in one film.
    I haven't seen this one but I don't know if it can top the 1931 version, which I'll be sure to nominate in our next phase of the event.

I haven't seen this one but I don't know if it can top the 1931 version, which I'll be sure to nominate in our next phase of the event.
    My opinion, The Fredric March Hyde is the best. There were different versions shown in different parts of the country regarding Miriam Hopkins bare leg and how much was shown in a particular scene. Three different ones. I never bought Spencer as Hyde. I think he was miscast.

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I nominate Pinocchio (1940)
    2ND

The Leopard Man

Country
    Country Flag

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
    Frank Capra

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Beauty and the Beast.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    My opinion, The Fredric March Hyde is the best. There were different versions shown in different parts of the country regarding Miriam Hopkins bare leg and how much was shown in a particular scene. Three different ones. I never bought Spencer as Hyde. I think he was miscast.
    I agree with you, and I'm sure that when we get to the 1930s it will get its due. The women in this one really steal the show. Funny note: Tracy wanted Katherine Hepburn to play both Bergman's and Turner's roles, both the good and the bad woman, only to later be revealed as the same woman.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It's not about topping necessarily, it's about is it worthy of inclusion as one of the best films in the decade, and the box office, the reviews, and the cast say yes in my mind. I hope you check it out, if only for comparative appreciation.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will second Arsenic and Old Lace - a great film my Capra.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will nominate The Magnificent Ambersons (1942), another one of those stars in, written by, produced by, directed by Orson Welles. Sad note that the editing was taken away from Welles and we will never know what his cut would have looked like other than he planned to reshoot the ending.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Red River
    Second

Country
    Country Flag

I nominate Saboteur (1942)

Country
    Country Flag

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948)
    H. C. Potter

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Meet Me in St. Louis.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast