Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1950s

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

House of Wax (1953)
    André De Toth

Watch trailer:

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
    Alexander Mackendrick

Watch trailer:
    2ND

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I second Shane

Nomination - Lady and the Tramp (1955)
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second A Place in the Sun.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

The Band Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I nominate Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)

Watch clip:
    2ND

Country
    Country Flag

The Bad Seed (1956)
    Mervyn LeRoy

Watch trailer:

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'll second An American in Paris

And nominate one of my favorite musicals

Summer Stock - 1950
    Dir: Charles Walters
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Stage Fright.

On the Waterfront

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    On the Waterfront
    Already on the list.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was about to nominate The Bad Seed (1956), so I'll go ahead and second it.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I nominate Floating Weeds (1959)

The tag below is not a trailer, but a short clip of Roger Ebert commenting on the film, and Ozu in general, during the opening credits and first scene of the movie. Ebert's full-length commentary on the Criterion DVD is quite excellent, as is the movie itself.

Watch clip:

Country
    Country Flag

Them! (1954)
    Gordon Douglas

Watch trailer:

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Nominate - The Bad and the Beautiful (1952)
    Directed by Vincent Minnelli
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I nominate
    A man escaped Robert Bresson 1956

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    I nominate
    A man escaped Robert Bresson 1956
    Already on the list, feel free to nominate something else.

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I nominate Floating Weeds (1959)

The tag below is not a trailer, but a short clip of Roger Ebert commenting on the film, and Ozu in general, during the opening credits and first scene of the movie. Ebert's full-length commentary on the Criterion DVD is quite excellent, as is the movie itself.

Watch clip:
    2ND

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    On the Waterfront
    Already on the list.
    Sorry, I will nominate Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

That was my list so far. No I have to do some more digging.

My Mood
    Cool

Them! (1954)
    Gordon Douglas

Watch trailer:
    This just has to be seconded, so second.

Country
    Country Flag

That was my list so far. No I have to do some more digging.
    You can check out the lists I posted here for some inspiration:

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver...=1#post1252274

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Hiroshima Mon Amour.

Country
    Country Flag

Patterns (1956)
    Fielder Cook

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

Them! (1954)
    Gordon Douglas

Watch trailer:
    This just has to be seconded, so second.
    This took us to 80 seconded movies, so we are now at the halfway point of 160 nominations.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast