Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1950s

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Technically a '50s movie:

Ivan the Terrible, Part II (1958)
    Sergei Eisenstein

Watch trailer:

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Nominate: Oklahoma! (1955) Dir. Fred Zinnemann
    Seconded.

Now choose wisely y'all, there's only one slot left.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Sansho the Bailiff to close things out!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Fantastic List!!!Thanks again, Mae!!!

Country
    Country Flag

And that's 160! Thank you, everyone, for this amazing list! I think once again we came up with a great and very representative list, full of well-known classics and eclectic lesser-known gems. I'll post some usual stats later, and hopefully Servant's acting stats will follow soon, as well!

Round 1 will open up on Monday, January 31st, so please use the time to check out some of the nominees you might not have seen! Luckily, a lot of these are on the various streaming services!

Country
    Country Flag

Some stats:

Number of nominations per year:
    • 1950: 14
    • 1951: 14
    • 1952: 9
    • 1953: 20
    • 1954: 16
    • 1955: 17
    • 1956: 15
    • 1957: 17
    • 1958: 18
    • 1959: 20

Directors with multiple nominations:

Ed Wood: Glen or Glenda; Plan 9 from Outer Space
    Federico Fellini: La Strada; Nights of Cabiria
    Henri-Georges Clouzot: Diabolique; The Wages of Fear
    Henry Koster: Harvey; The Robe
    Howard Hawks: Gentlemen Prefer Blondes; Rio Bravo
    Ingmar Bergman: The Seventh Seal; Wild Strawberries
    Jack Arnold: Creature from the Black Lagoon; The Incredible Shrinking Man
    John Ford: The Quiet Man; The Searchers
    Joseph L. Mankiewicz: All About Eve; Suddenly, Last Summer
    Joshua Logan: Bus Stop; South Pacific
    Jules Dassin: Night and the City; Rififi
    Mervyn LeRoy: Quo Vadis; The Bad Seed
    Richard Brooks: Blackboard Jungle; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
    Stanley Kramer: On the Beach; The Defiant Ones
    Stanley Kubrick: Paths of Glory; The Killing
    William Castle: House on Haunted Hill; The Tingler
    William Wyler: Ben-Hur; Roman Holiday
    Yasujirō Ozu: Floating Weeds; Tokyo Story

Douglas Sirk: All That Heaven Allows; Imitation of Life; Written on the Wind
    Fred Zinnemann: From Here to Eternity; High Noon; Oklahoma!
    John Huston: The African Queen; The Asphalt Jungle; The Red Badge of Courage
    Kenji Mizoguchi: Sansho the Bailiff; The Life of Oharu; Ugetsu
    Michael Curtiz: King Creole; The Breaking Point; White Christmas
    Nicholas Ray: In a Lonely Place; Johnny Guitar; Rebel Without a Cause
    Robert Bresson: A Man Escaped; Diary of a Country Priest; Pickpocket
    Stanley Donen: Funny Face; Seven Brides for Seven Brothers; Singin' in the Rain

Elia Kazan: A Face in the Crowd; A Streetcar Named Desire; East of Eden; On the Waterfront
    George Stevens: A Place in the Sun; Giant; Shane; The Diary of Anne Frank
    Hamilton Luske and Wilfred Jackson: Alice in Wonderland; Cinderella; Lady and the Tramp; Peter Pan
    Robert Wise: I Want to Live!; Run Silent, Run Deep; Somebody Up There Likes Me; The Day the Earth Stood Still
    Vincente Minnelli: An American in Paris; Gigi; Tea and Sympathy; The Bad and the Beautiful

Akira Kurosawa: Ikiru; Rashomon; Seven Samurai; The Hidden Fortress; Throne of Blood
    Clyde Geronimi: Alice in Wonderland; Cinderella; Lady and the Tramp; Peter Pan; Sleeping Beauty

Billy Wilder: Ace in the Hole; Sabrina; Some Like It Hot; Stalag 17; Sunset Boulevard; The Seven Year Itch; Witness for the Prosecution

Alfred Hitchcock: Dial M for Murder; North by Northwest; Rear Window; Stage Fright; Strangers on a Train; The Man Who Knew Too Much; The Trouble with Harry; The Wrong Man; To Catch a Thief; Vertigo

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A good list, for sure. The following are the ones I had jotted down but did not get around to nominating:

When Worlds Collide (1951)
    Death of a Salesman (1951)
    This Island Earth (1955)
    Moby Dick (1956)
    Around the World in 80 Days (1956)
    Gunfight at the OK Corral (1957)
    The Deadly Mantis (1957)
    The Shaggy Dog (1959)
    Operation Petticoat (1959)

As well as the aforementioned Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island (1956)

and the following 6 by Ozu:

Early Summer (1951)
    The Flavor of Green Tea over Rice (1952)
    Early Spring (1956)
    Tokyo Twilight (1957)
    Equinox Flower (1958)
    Good Morning (1959)

...but the two Ozu we have nominated are better than any of these six, so I feel good about that.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Ready to get rolling!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    And that's 160! Thank you, everyone, for this amazing list! I think once again we came up with a great and very representative list, full of well-known classics and eclectic lesser-known gems. I'll post some usual stats later, and hopefully Servant's acting stats will follow soon, as well!

Round 1 will open up on Monday, January 31st, so please use the time to check out some of the nominees you might not have seen! Luckily, a lot of these are on the various streaming services!
    I will do my best! It gets harder and harder as we go back in time. I'm just not as familiar with as many actors. It's always fun though.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    A good list, for sure. The following are the ones I had jotted down but did not get around to nominating:

This Island Earth (1955)
    Moby Dick (1956)
    The Deadly Mantis (1957)
    The Shaggy Dog (1959)

Early Summer (1951)
    Early Spring (1956)
    Tokyo Twilight (1957)
    Equinox Flower (1958)
    Good Morning (1959)

...but the two Ozu we have nominated are better than any of these six, so I feel good about that.
    Great list. I just couldn't get in much during nominations. Busy at home. There are some great films in that top half that I had wanted to nominate as well, though none had a shot at the top spot I suspect. It's a great 160.

Country
    Country Flag

I actually got to pretty much all the ones I wanted to nominate, except The Human Condition 1 and 2.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Shit, I was born in '58. I don't know this era!! lol I'll just vote based on what I've seen I guess.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Shit, I was born in '58. I don't know this era!! lol I'll just vote based on what I've seen I guess.
    Thankfully, I think our list came out really great and well-rounded. If someone has never seen anything made in the 1960s, I feel like this list of 160 is pretty much all they'd need.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

This list has some magic to it.
    I've seen 155/160.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been busy watching Sundance movies, but I'm working on the actors list now.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I've been busy watching Sundance movies, but I'm working on the actors list now.
    Thank you! It's very appreciated!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

WHERE ARE THE POLLS MAN

I'M FIENDING

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post

This Island Earth (1955)
    Moby Dick (1956)
    The Deadly Mantis (1957)
    The Shaggy Dog (1959)

Early Summer (1951)
    Early Spring (1956)
    Tokyo Twilight (1957)
    Equinox Flower (1958)
    Good Morning (1959)

I've been watching a lot of movies from TCM and disney+ the last year. I should have written them down so I would remember to nominate them. Watched Moby Dick and The Shaggy Dog in the last 4 months, but forgot about them. As it is I have only seen: 18 of the movies (16 of which I have seen in last 2 or 3 years or less, so they are fresh in my mind). There are 2 more that are on my DVR waiting to be watched.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    WHERE ARE THE POLLS MAN

I'M FIENDING
    Monday! Take the week to maybe catch up on a few. I;m watching and rewatching several ones on HBO Max, myself.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

*deep sigh of relief*

Country
    Country Flag

I thought it was a little funny that we have five movies with the number seven in them (with this being our seventh part of the overall tournament):

Seven Samurai
    The Seventh Seal
    The Seven Year Itch
    Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
    The 7th Voyage of Sinbad

And we can be cute and make it seven movies if we count:

Stalag 17
    Winchester '73

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The results are in!

As I have mentioned, the farther we go back in the past, the fewer actors I know. So for the most part, I tried to stick with actors I was familiar with (there's one very interesting exception you will see below).

Another thing I noticed is that the 50s seemed to be another decade where there was a changing of the guard. I don't feel like there were a ton of actors who had films in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Marilyn Monroe - 8
    James Stewart - 7
    Deborah Kerr - 6
    Rock Hudson - 5
    Vincent Price - 5
    Humphrey Bogart - 4
    Ernest Borgnine - 4 (Connecticut native!)
    Tony Curtis - 4
    Kirk Douglas - 4
    Gloria Grahame - 4
    Cary Grant - 4
    William Holden - 4
    Grace Kelly - 4
    James Mason - 4 (Mason and Walter Matthau appeared in 4 decades of our tournament)
    Toshiro Mifune - 4
    Elizabeth Taylor - 4
    Shelley Winters - 4
    Montgomery Clift - 3
    Doris Day - 3
    James Dean - 3
    Sandra Dee - 3
    Sterling Hayden - 3
    Audrey Hepburn - 3
    Charleton Heston - 3
    Burt Lancaster - 3
    Lee Marvin - 3
    Sal Mineo - 3
    Patricia Neal - 3
    John Wayne - 3
    John Williams - 3

As I was going through each movie, I kept noticing the same name pop up very often. Most of the time he was listed as uncredited, which isn't surprising considering most films back then listed everyone besides the main players as uncredited. His name was Harold Miller and he has a staggering 718 credits to his name! That's insane. I thought he at least deserved a shoutout for his 17 films in the tournament.

Harold Miller - 17

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, amazing job, as always! Thank you. Great to see the incomparable Marilyn Monroe at the top. That's really unexpected! And Deborah Kerr should be a more well known star:

Only four with Cary Grant? I thought there'd be more. And yeah, wow Harold Miller, his career stretches all the way back to the 1910s! I had no idea: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0588443/

Country
    Country Flag

Oh and right on time! Round 1 starts tomorrow!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Another thing I noticed is that the 50s seemed to be another decade where there was a changing of the guard.
    I think this is very true. The 1950s was the end of "old Hollywood" for the most part. Sure a lot of these stars made movie in later decades but as a group this was the last decade you'd see most of them dominating. We'll be seeing much more of them and others in the 1940s and '30s!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast