Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1950s

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Monsieur Hulot's Holiday

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I second Limelight

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I nominate Run Silent, Run Deep (1958)

Watch trailer:

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Nun's Story (1959)
    Fred Zinnemann

Watch trailer:

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I second Imitation of Life (1959)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Monsieur Hulot's Holiday.

Country
    Country Flag

Just as an aside, but I feel like Fred Zinnemann made some great movies during his long career but is never spoken of in terms of not even great directors of his era, like Hitchcock, but even just well-known ones. Seems he's slipped under the radar.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will second Run Silent, Run Deep - great flick.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Here is a great John Huston film featuring Audie Murphy. Many a kid has watched this to avoid reading it is my guess.

Film: The Red Badge of Courage
    Dir.: John Huston
    Year: 1951

Trailer

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Never So Few (1959)
    Director: John Sturges
    Trailer
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

How to Marry a Millionaire (1953)
    Jean Negulesco

Watch trailer:

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A Summer Place. What a soapy soap. Seconded.

Nominate - Bell, Book and Candle (1958) Director: Richard Quine
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Bell, Book and Candle. Just rewatched it around the holidays on TCM.

Country
    Country Flag

I was just about to nominate The Red Badge of Courage (1951), so I'll second it here

Country
    Country Flag

I nominate Bus Stop (1956)

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958)
    Nathan H. Juran

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I was just about to nominate The Red Badge of Courage (1951), so I'll second it here
    That takes us to 130, so just 30 spots remain! And I still have at least 20 to nominate.

Country
    Country Flag

Even if these two don't get seconded, I heartily recommend you check them out. Broken Arrow is a Jimmy Stewart western way, way better than it has to be. It's actually very sympathetic to the Native American side of things. And there's not much else I can say about Scaramouche that I didn't already say. You'd be hard-pressed to find a more fun swashbuckling revenge movie. On par with the best of Flynn's efforts for sure.

I nominate Scaramouche (1952)

--a swashbuckling romantic/action/revenge movie that is very very funny; and one of my all-time favorites

Watch clip:
    I nominate Broken Arrow (1950)

Watch trailer:

I'll second Bus Stop and nominate Gigi

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958)
    Nathan H. Juran

Watch trailer:
    Ray Harryhausen - yay!
    Seconded

sk

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Diary of a Country Priest.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    That takes us to 130, so just 30 spots remain! And I still have at least 20 to nominate.
    Me too! I forgot we had reduced the nomination number.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

How about this brilliant comic duo...Great Stuff!

Film: About & Costello Meet The Invisible Man
    Dir: Charles Lamont
    Year: 1951

Trailer

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will second A Christmas Carol - Alastair Sim is brilliant.

Country
    Country Flag

Pickup on South Street (1953)
    Samuel Fuller

Watch trailer:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast