Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1950s

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Nobody has nominated White Christmas? I'll go ahead and nominate it. My mom loves that movie.
    I can't believe I missed this one, I was thinking it was late 40s.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Dive, you had some more Ozu and Mizoguchi to nominate? We're at the end now so might as well. I have a couple myself.
    Yeah, but I hesitate to nominate films at this point that no one has seen and won't get any votes anyway. I've got 6 Ozu on my list, as well as Sansho, and the third installment of Inagaki's most excellent "Samurai" trilogy (Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island.) But I'll second any of these if nominated.

So, for now, you get:

I nominate No Time for Sergeants (1958)

Watch trailer:

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Nobody has nominated White Christmas? I'll go ahead and nominate it. My mom loves that movie.
    I can't believe I missed this one, I was thinking it was late 40s.
    Not to worry, it's in now!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Life of Oharu (1952)
    Kenji Mizoguchi

Watch trailer:

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Gun Crazy

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Dive, you had some more Ozu and Mizoguchi to nominate? We're at the end now so might as well. I have a couple myself.
    Yeah, but I hesitate to nominate films at this point that no one has seen and won't get any votes anyway. I've got 6 Ozu on my list, as well as Sansho, and the third installment of Inagaki's most excellent "Samurai" trilogy (Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island.) But I'll second any of these if nominated.
    I hear you, I have the same concerns. I nominated The Human Condition 3 for the 1960s and there were no takers, and I still have the first two films in this great trilogy to nominate, but it doesn't appear anyone else has seen them. Hopefully, Ozu and Mizoguchi are more well-known, especially to the smaller cinephile group here going forward to the older decades.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Gun Crazy
    Was on my list, so seconded.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

The Life of Oharu (1952)
    Kenji Mizoguchi

Watch trailer:
    2ND

Country
    Country Flag

The Bigamist (1953)
    Ida Lupino

Watch trailer:

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I nominate Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959)

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

Home Before Dark (1958)
    Mervyn LeRoy

Watch trailer:

I Vitelloni

Country
    Country Flag

I nominate Pillow Talk (1959)

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Pillow Talk.

Country
    Country Flag

Sudden Fear (1952)
    David Miller

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

Only two spots remain!

La Ronde

Country
    Country Flag

People Will Talk (1951)
    Joseph L. Mankiewicz

Watch trailer:

Separate Tables

I have to be careful, some of these best picture nominees came out in the 1949 range but were nominated in 1950, thought I had forgotten one for a second.

People Will Talk (1951)
    Joseph L. Mankiewicz

Watch trailer:
    Gosh I really don't remember seeing this one and I thought I had seen all of Grant's.

Country
    Country Flag

Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950)
    Otto Preminger

Watch trailer:

Sansho the Bailiff

Country
    Country Flag

The Tarnished Angels (1957)
    Douglas Sirk

Watch trailer:

Curse of the Demon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast