Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What movies have you re-watched the most times?

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default What movies have you re-watched the most times?

There are a number of movies I re-watch over and over again, for a variety of reasons. Not necessarily the same as a "top 25 list," although there is a lot of overlap. There are plenty of "5 star" movies I'd put above some of the below--just haven't come around to re-watching them multiple times.

According to my DVD spreadsheet, here are my top 25 re-watches. What are yours?

Mullholland Dr. -- I've re-watched this more than any other American movie. And I get more out of it with each watch. This is my "desert island" movie. So many layers; so much depth. So many great scenes and great quotes. ("Sometimes, there's a buggy...")
    Comrades, Almost a Love Story -- just an absolutely wonderful telling of a find/lose/find again love story
    A Tale of Two Sisters -- best psychological horror movie EVER
    The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly -- I swear, I watch this at least once a year
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon -- more than any other movie, this changed my entire movie paradigm and opened doors I didn't even know existed
    Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels -- complex plot and laugh-out-loud hilarity; what's not to love?
    Goodfellas -- the best mafia film, bar none
    Infernal Affairs -- the second best mafia film, bar none
    Jackie Brown -- there's just so much "there" in this film
    Kill Bill -- movie perfection
    Mamma Mia! -- one of the most "fun" movies ever
    Pulp Fiction -- I remember watching this for the first time, and realizing I had never seen anything like it before.
    Sin City -- a visual treat; the craftsmanship here is amazing
    Hard-Boiled -- the movie that prompted this thread. I re-watched it again tonight--there is no better film for hand-to-hand shoot 'em up action
    The Mystery of Rampo -- perfect combination of mystery plot and visual artistry
    Angel Dust -- one of the best psychological thrillers I've come across.
    The Sixth Sense -- it's so much more than the reveal
    The Pillow Book -- I didn't even know it I liked it the first time I watched it. But it stuck with me, and I've watched it again and again because I just can't shake its affect on me
    No Blood, No Tears -- perfect combination of comedy and scam/heist movie
    Oldboy -- wouldn't even make my top 25 of Korean movies, but there's just something about it that draws me back again and again
    A Moment to Remember -- If this doesn't affect you, you have no soul
    A Fish Called Wanda -- perfect combination of plot and comedy and cast
    All for Love -- interweaving of so many great stories
    Raiders of the Lost Ark -- the perfect movie for a 13-year-old kid to see for the first time
    Mad Max: Fury Road -- one of the best "balls to the wall" action moves ever

Adding...

Airplane!. I was 12 or 13 years old. My dad took my sister and me to see this in the theater. I had never seen a parody/satire like Airplane! I actually fell out of my seat, laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. No lie. Many re-watches over the years.

Predator. This always seemed to be on TV or someone popped in a VHS. I did a summer tour on a research ship, and the lounge had like 10 VHS tapes to choose from. It was Predator all day, every day.

The Princess Bride. I was in grad school the first time I saw this. Another one of those movies that always seemed to be in the VCR for any get-together.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Love this thread, working on my list now....

Gunslinger Apprentice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Back to the Future for sure. It was one of the only movies my brothers and I owned as kids and we used to watch it almost every day. It’s no exaggeration that I’ve probably seen it a thousand times.

Runners up (though nowhere close): Raiders of the Lost Ark, Die Hard, and The Big Lebowski.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Thinking of the films I've rewatched the most in my life is hard to say. Some films I've seen 15-20+ times yet haven't watched in 20 years. I'd say any film on this list I've seen at around or at least 10 times.

From Dusk Till Dawn
    American Beauty
    Almost Famous
    Jurassic Park
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    Alien
    Aliens
    Alien 3
    I Love You, Man
    Zoolander
    Tropic Thunder
    Punch Drunk Love
    The Waterboy
    Happy Gilmore
    Mystic River
    Into The Wild
    The Shining
    28 Days Later
    Dawn of the Dead (2004)
    About a Boy
    Love Actually
    Goldeneye
    The Lion King
    Donnie Darko
    Borat
    Die Hard
    Die Hard 2
    The Matrix
    Spider-Man 2
    Mimic
    Halloween
    The Usual Suspects
    The Negotiator
    Dark City
    About Schmidt
    Face/Off
    There's Something about Mary
    Dumb and Dumber
    Man on the Moon
    The Mask
    The Naked Gun
    The Double
    Another Year
    Her
    The Pianist
    Being John Malkovich
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Synecdoche, New York

Films From the past decade or so that are close to that benchmark:

Mad Max: Fury Road
    A Ghost Story
    Moonlight
    La La Land
    The Babadook
    Inglourious Basterds
    Whiplash
    Blue Jasmine
    Young Adult
    Uncle John
    John Wick
    Pontypool
    No Country For Old Men
    Moneyball
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by daniel_pyle View Post
    Back to the Future for sure. It was one of the only movies my brothers and I owned as kids and we used to watch it almost every day. It’s no exaggeration that I’ve probably seen it a thousand times.
    That's a good point--one that I didn't really consider. My list was primarily focused on DVD watchin as an adult. But I wore out any number of VHS tapes during middle and high school. I guess my top was Superman II. And for about a 20-year period, I must have watched Airplane! 50 times with my buddies. So I'll add those two to my list for sure. Then, as an older teen and into college/grad school, I swear every weekend somehow either Die Hard or Predator was on a TV or VCR somewhere.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not sure that I'll be making a list but the first movie that comes to mind is Groundhog Day. I don't know that I've watched it that many times all the way through but if it's on while I'm flipping through channels, I'm watching it.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Just off the of my head in no particular order. Mostly movies that I watched a ton on VHS as a kid or movies that I just watch every time I stumble across them on TV.

Even though I probably own the DVD version of 99% of these.

T2
    A Christmas Story
    National Lampoon's Vacation
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas
    Click
    Grownups 1 & 2
    Billy Madison
    Happy Gilmore
    Liar Liar
    Ace Ventura 1 and 2
    The Martian
    Sister Act 2
    Spaceballs
    Airplane
    Men in Tights
    The Princess Bride
    Alladin
    Toy Story 1 - 3
    The Lion King
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Rocky 4
    Avengers Endgame
    Saving Private Ryan
    Office Space
    Hot Shots
    Child's Play 2 & 3
    Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Some I've seen ridiculous amounts of time...

Laura
    Out of the Past
    The Shining
    Rebel without a Cause
    Sunset Blvd.
    Clue
    Casablanca
    Citizen Kane
    Psycho (I've seen other Hitchcocks repeatedly as well but this one probably the most)
    Big Trouble in Little China
    A Christmas Story
    Groundhog Day
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Kill Bill Vol. 1
    Pretty much most of the horror franchises Nightmare...., Friday...., etc. etc.
    The MCU movies (SOME of them) I have playing in the background a lot.
    Creepshow
    Carrie
    Steel Magnolias
    The Wizard of Oz
    Annie Hall
    Demons
    Tenebrae
    The Seventh Seal
    Rashomon
    Bringing Up Baby
    The Dark Knight
    The Princess Bride
    Natural Born Killers
    Beetlejuice

There's more but I have to think about it...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    The Princess Bride
    Oh, yeah. That's gotta be in my top 25 somewhere.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

2 more I just thought about that I keep on my DVR just because.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
    Waiting
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    The Princess Bride
    Oh, yeah. That's gotta be in my top 25 somewhere.
    SAME, adding it now.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been trying to think about this on and off today. When I was a kid we really didn't go to movies but The Wizard of Oz was on tv once a year. And all those old movies they showed after the late night news. But I clearly remember the shock, when after seeing Oz so many times, the year we finally got a color tv (I was 13 or 14) the Oz part was in COLOR!!!! What!!!!

I'm like RUBE, if I see it flipping channels or ahead to tape I watch these over and over. I have a DVD player, but it hasn't been hooked up in years. Might be out of date. I"m still trying to think of something recent I watch repeatedly, but am just coming up blank...

Giant
    The American President
    The Bishop's Wife (Cary Grant)
    Goodbye Mr. Chips 1939
    Lost Horizons 1939
    Lawrence of Arabia
    The Paper Chase
    Bell Book and Candle
    The Birds
    South Pacific
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I feel like most of the movies I've rewatched numerous times are more holiday related, Christmas or Halloween. I tend to rewatch a lot of the same movies every year. Then there's the movies from my childhood that we'd watch on a constant basis.

Off the top of my head my most watched are probably:
    A Christmas Story
    Halloween
    The Shining
    Christmas Vacation
    March of the Wooden Soldiers
    A Nightmare Before Christmas
    Labriynth
    Edward Scissorhands
    Holiday Inn
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Beautiful Girls

And there's plenty other favorites of mine that I've seen numerous times, but probably not quite as many times as my holiday films.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

The Wall
    Fast Times At Ridgemont High
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

+ Reply to Thread