+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65

Thread: Christmas Watch-a-thon 2021 (Bring Your Own Cookies)

  1. #1
    S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    11,721
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default Christmas Watch-a-thon 2021 (Bring Your Own Cookies)

    It's officially December and Christmas show and movie time is full swing! What's everyone planning on watching this year?

    Aside from Fatman, Gremlins 2, and Die Hard (I know, I know), I don't think there's really any new Christmas movies I want to see. Is there anything new out this year?

    Of course, also gonna do lots of the traditional re-watches: Last Holiday, Arthur Christmas, Elf, Krampus, and all the regular stop-motion specials.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

  2. #2
    Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Trapped in the Multiverse and its driving me MAD!!!!
    Posts
    32,760
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Hawkeye on Disney+

    However, I'm not participating unless I get some Xmas cookies from some one!!!
    28 in 22 (?)!!!!









    The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

  3. #3
    Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Heaven and Hell
    Posts
    15,892
    My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    FOOTBALL!
    A land of hope and glory building graveyards for the brave.

  4. #4
    Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is a jewel in the rough RUBE is a jewel in the rough RUBE is a jewel in the rough RUBE is a jewel in the rough RUBE's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,299
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    It's officially December and Christmas show and movie time is full swing! What's everyone planning on watching this year?

    Aside from Fatman, Gremlins 2, and Die Hard (I know, I know), I don't think there's really any new Christmas movies I want to see. Is there anything new out this year?

    Of course, also gonna do lots of the traditional re-watches: Last Holiday, Arthur Christmas, Elf, Krampus, and all the regular stop-motion specials.
    Wait, are you saying that this is your first watch of Die Hard?

  5. #5
    Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Trapped in the Multiverse and its driving me MAD!!!!
    Posts
    32,760
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    "Shitters Full"!!!!!

    Only two must see Holiday films. "Christmas Vacation" and "It's a wonderful life". Watch both films faithfully every season. Honorable mention to "A Christmas Carol" and "Scrooged".
    28 in 22 (?)!!!!









    The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

  6. #6
    S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    11,721
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    Wait, are you saying that this is your first watch of Die Hard?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    "Shitters Full"!!!!!

    Only two must see Holiday films. "Christmas Vacation" and "It's a wonderful life". Watch both films faithfully every season. Honorable mention to "A Christmas Carol" and "Scrooged".
    No A Christmas Story?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

  7. #7
    Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Trapped in the Multiverse and its driving me MAD!!!!
    Posts
    32,760
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    Wait, are you saying that this is your first watch of Die Hard?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    "Shitters Full"!!!!!

    Only two must see Holiday films. "Christmas Vacation" and "It's a wonderful life". Watch both films faithfully every season. Honorable mention to "A Christmas Carol" and "Scrooged".
    No A Christmas Story?
    28 in 22 (?)!!!!









    The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

  8. #8
    Breaker St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    ...parts unknown...
    Posts
    4,778
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    "Shitters Full"!!!!!
    Possibly the greatest single scene in motion picture history (and I'm not kidding).
    I have yet to be presented with an explanation for Clownfeet Garfield.

  9. #9
    Big Coffin Hunter Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,438
    My Mood
    Amazed

    Default

    À l'intérieur 2007
    “We can only learn so much and live.”

    ― Thomas Harris, Hannibal

  10. #10
    S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    11,721
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I watched A Clusterfunke Christmas on Comedy Central recently. It was a parody of all those Hallmark Christmas movies. Pretty enjoyable but a little light on the laughs for a comedy.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

  11. #11
    Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    4,244
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Die Hard is not "a" Christmas movie!
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .

    It is THE Christmas movie.

  12. #12
    Gunslinger Apprentice daniel_pyle is a jewel in the rough daniel_pyle is a jewel in the rough daniel_pyle is a jewel in the rough daniel_pyle is a jewel in the rough daniel_pyle's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    257
    My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Die Hard is not "a" Christmas movie!
    .
    .

    It is THE Christmas movie.


    I've always loved Christmas movies, but I've been on a real kick this year. So far, I've watched:
    Gemlins
    Christmas Vacation
    Jingle All the Way
    Black Christmas
    The Wolf of Snow Hollow
    Mercy Christmas
    Anna and the Apocalypse
    Wind Chill
    Scrooged
    Deathcember
    Sint
    Die Hard
    Silent Night, Deadly Night
    Tales From the Crypt: "And All through the House"
    Silent Night, Deadly Night 2

    Still to come:
    Silent Night
    Home Alone
    Elf
    Batman Returns
    Krampus

    And whatever else I feel like between now and the big day. Many of the ones I've already watched are old favorites, but I've also been taking serious advantage of several trial subscriptions to check out the ones I hadn't seen before. Some have been good. Some have been fun only because they're so, so terrible (I'm looking at you, Silent Night, Deadly Night 2.)

    Here are some (maybe-lesser-known?) movies I haven't re-watched yet this year but that I think are worth checking out:
    Rare Exports
    P2
    The Lodge
    Better Watch Out

  13. #13
    Breaker St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    ...parts unknown...
    Posts
    4,778
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    ...time for the candy cane girls...
    I have yet to be presented with an explanation for Clownfeet Garfield.

  14. #14
    Big Coffin Hunter Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,438
    My Mood
    Amazed

    Default

    Eyes Wide Shut

    Maybe Female Trouble....

    NSFW
    “We can only learn so much and live.”

    ― Thomas Harris, Hannibal

  15. #15
    Rebel Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,848

    Default

    I've been slacking. The only thing I've seen so far is a bunch of Hallmark Christmas movies earlier this season
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

  16. #16
    S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    11,721
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daniel_pyle View Post
    Silent Night, Deadly Night

    P2
    I keep meaning to watch Silent Night, Deadly Night but never get around to it. It's free On Demand this year so maybe this will be the year!

    Also, I caught P2 last year and was pleasantly surprised by it. I really enjoyed it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

  17. #17
    Rebel Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19 has a brilliant future Heather19's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,848

    Default

    Good to know, that's one that's been on my list forever too. I'll try to get to it this year.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

  18. #18
    Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    4,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Die Hard is not "a" Christmas movie!
    Agreed.

    Neither are Shazam!, Gremlins, Enemy of the State, Lethal Weapon, Trading Places, Rocky IV or Iron Man 3...

    Just because there are a couple of Christmas decorations in the background doesn't mean it's a Christmas movie. I will go to my grave with this argument.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

  19. #19
    Demon of the Prim Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,360
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Every year - The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

  20. #20
    Big Coffin Hunter Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,438
    My Mood
    Amazed

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Every year - The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant
    Gosh it's been nearly 20 years since I've seen that but just reading it made the whole movie fly right back into my head.
    “We can only learn so much and live.”

    ― Thomas Harris, Hannibal

  21. #21
    Big Coffin Hunter Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,438
    My Mood
    Amazed

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Die Hard is not "a" Christmas movie!
    Agreed.

    Neither are Shazam!, Gremlins, Enemy of the State, Lethal Weapon, Trading Places, Rocky IV or Iron Man 3...

    Just because there are a couple of Christmas decorations in the background doesn't mean it's a Christmas movie. I will go to my grave with this argument.
    It's a Wonderful Life is not a Christmas movie either.

    Gremlins is a Christmas movie though because without Gizmo you don't have a movie and Gizmo was a Christmas Present. So without Christmas, there wouldn't be a Gremlins movie.


    I've been ranting and raving about À l'intérieur 2007 since I joined this site and the one person I think I got to watch it is now banned. I NEED more people to see this Christmas horror miracle!
    “We can only learn so much and live.”

    ― Thomas Harris, Hannibal

  22. #22
    Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    4,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Gremlins is a Christmas movie though because without Gizmo you don't have a movie and Gizmo was a Christmas Present. So without Christmas, there wouldn't be a Gremlins movie.
    I remember years back when people first started classifying Gremlins as a Christmas movie and I had no idea what they were talking about. I had watched it when I was a kid and even had a Gizmo stuffed animal and one of those read-along books on tape. I had absolutely zero recollection of the Christmas parts of the movie.

    I just knew Gizmo was a gift. Not necessarily a Christmas gift.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

  23. #23
    Big Coffin Hunter Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,438
    My Mood
    Amazed

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Gremlins is a Christmas movie though because without Gizmo you don't have a movie and Gizmo was a Christmas Present. So without Christmas, there wouldn't be a Gremlins movie.
    I remember years back when people first started classifying Gremlins as a Christmas movie and I had no idea what they were talking about. I had watched it when I was a kid and even had a Gizmo stuffed animal and one of those read-along books on tape. I had absolutely zero recollection of the Christmas parts of the movie.

    I just knew Gizmo was a gift. Not necessarily a Christmas gift.
    There's a character dressed as a Christmas tree, one character tells how her father died dressed as Santa bringing the family presents. The family dog is nearly killed by Christmas lights. Mrs. Deagle's entire personality is shown through issues with Christmas from denying people loan extensions, bitching about her broken snowman and wanting a dog dead for it, threatening what she thought were carolers with water etc. Very much a Scroogish type not redeemed. The credits roll with my favorite Christmas song playing ,Baby, Please Come Home by Darlene Love with Christmas music throughout.

    Several of the characters personalities are developed through Christmas in some way.
    It would not be the same movie without Christmas in it. I think that's the very basic assumption here right? If you took Christmas out, you'll still have relatively the same movie, not true with Gremlins.
    “We can only learn so much and live.”

    ― Thomas Harris, Hannibal

  24. #24
    Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    4,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Gremlins is a Christmas movie though because without Gizmo you don't have a movie and Gizmo was a Christmas Present. So without Christmas, there wouldn't be a Gremlins movie.
    I remember years back when people first started classifying Gremlins as a Christmas movie and I had no idea what they were talking about. I had watched it when I was a kid and even had a Gizmo stuffed animal and one of those read-along books on tape. I had absolutely zero recollection of the Christmas parts of the movie.

    I just knew Gizmo was a gift. Not necessarily a Christmas gift.
    There's a character dressed as a Christmas tree, one character tells how her father died dressed as Santa bringing the family presents. The family dog is nearly killed by Christmas lights. Mrs. Deagle's entire personality is shown through issues with Christmas from denying people loan extensions, bitching about her broken snowman and wanting a dog dead for it, threatening what she thought were carolers with water etc. Very much a Scroogish type not redeemed. The credits roll with my favorite Christmas song playing ,Baby, Please Come Home by Darlene Love with Christmas music throughout.

    Several of the characters personalities are developed through Christmas in some way.
    It would not be the same movie without Christmas in it. I think that's the very basic assumption here right? If you took Christmas out, you'll still have relatively the same movie, not true with Gremlins.
    Yea, I don't remember any of that. I just remember Gizmo getting water on him, all the other little Gizmos show up, and they set the clocks back to trick the kid (I don't even remember the characters name) into feeding them chicken after midnight. Then they hatch from a bunch of cocoons, wreck havoc and end up in a movie theater I think?

    A bitchy background character, a single scene with a dog and different song in the credits? I'm guessing you could take out all the Christmas stuff and have basically the exact same movie.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

  25. #25
    Big Coffin Hunter Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,438
    My Mood
    Amazed

    Default

    Not Phoebe Bates Character development tho, Christmas is actually used to tell the story.
    “We can only learn so much and live.”

    ― Thomas Harris, Hannibal

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts