22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Psycho

11 50.00%
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey

11 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1960s: Final

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1960s: Final

For the eighth and final round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for one film you would like to win the tournament and be declared the best film of the 1960s.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Psycho (1960)
    Directed by Alfred Hitchcock

Watch Trailer

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    Directed by Stanley Kubrick

Watch Trailer

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Holy shit I knew this was coming but all I can do is stare at my choices

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Not my idea of a 60's final pairing but they are two classic movies.
    Looking for Suntup Brother ARC and Suntup Seed ARC

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I like these final two choices the more I think about them within the context of a 60s Tournament.
    They are almost perfect bookends.
    One shocked the world and changed film forever.
    One went beyond anything anyone had ever seen and also changed film forever.
    One "Horror" and one "Sci-Fi" but both transcended genres.
    Both made by two of the greatest filmmakers ever.

I remember watching Psycho for the first time thinking damn! I have to see every film EVER now and 2001 has kept me on that path.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love Psycho, it’s one of those classics that ignited my love for film and classic film specifically. But 2001 feels like a better choice to be number one and represent the decade, especially since I think Hitchcock has better films in earlier decades that could potentially win and represent him in our eventual all-time final.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Two classics, love them both dearly, but have to go with my personal #1 since forever - 2001 : A Space Odyssey.

sk

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn... two masterpieces. Two films emblematic of their era. Two masters of the craft.

I'm going to sit on this one for a while...

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Birds
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Definitely Psycho for me.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Planet of the Apes - please!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Psycho.

I went with the more watchable, accessible film.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Still Planet Of The Apes for me
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I was utterly disappointed with 2001 back when I watched it as a kid in the 70's, and it hasn't gotten any better the few times I've watched it over the years thinking it might get better with my age. And, I'm sorry to say, ditto for Psycho; it might have been the wow new thing when first released but I never cared for it. So I guess I'll abstain from the final round of voting :-(
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Tied and I still can't vote.
    Something else about these two contenders is the outstanding music used in both.

spoiler

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Tied and I still can't vote.
    Me either I wonder if I have time to watch both before the poll ends...

Some interesting ideas here...

Country
    Country Flag

And in that vein:

I love Renegade Cut.

This guy has analyzed Kubrick's films for years. I don't always agree but there are some good insights.

He's done multiple other shorter pieces, one I watched recently about the significance of the 7 diamonds split into 5 and 2. Yeah, I know it sounds crazy but Kubrick's films are really, really weird when analyzed to death.

Psycho got the works too....

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice. Imma watch all these later today when I get home.

I can appreciate Mae's reasoning here. A greatest movie tournament spanning decades should include a Kubrick film but it should also include a Hitchcock as well. Vertigo could win the 50s and Notorious could win the 40s or at the very least be a contender. And Kubrick could also win the 50s with Paths of Glory. I will probably vote at the very last minute.

Country
    Country Flag

I honestly don't see a Kubrick film even close to winning the 1950s, but Hitchcock totally could have a shot at everything from the 1950s and back, even the 1920s (The Lodger).

We're not the only ones debating...

https://www.flickchart.com/discussio.../vs/390B369BD5

I agree so much with that first comment...."There is no other matchup that would be more difficult. "

See another thing that sucks about this is that there never was a year zero so the actual true end of the 1950s is the year 1960 but nobody recognizes that for some reason. @#$%^!! I just don't want to do what I know I should, damn.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Psycho for the win obvs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast