Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King's new Holly Gibney novel "Holly" (September 5, 2023)

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Like the ones we already have for things like polio, mumps, rubella, etc...?
    No, not like those, actually: COVID vaccines are experimental ones in emergency use; the others are standards.
    All vaccines started off as experiments and not standards.

April 26
    Polio vaccine trials begin

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    People are always fixated on whoever the president is.
    This country has never seen anything like the anti-Trump attitude.

Having gay characters experiencing homophobia period has been deemed political. I.E. it's with the Christian Right it's "the gay agenda".
    That's removed from your It example, which concerned violence and not disagreement with conservatives (you might've thought that's what King was getting at, but that wasn't on the page).

If you change the issue from violence to the conversation surrounding gay issues, it's no longer "homophobia;" it's social disagreement.

People were writing negative reviews for Elevation because it was "political" even though it was probably the most softball thing King ever wrote with as much edge as a butterknife.
    That's what happens when you burden a book with "I apologize for being an older white male."

But hey, it's a lesbian couple experiencing prejudice, why does King have to go 'woke' etc,
    This perspective has always greatly amused me: the lesbian restaurant is in danger of going out of business, and this obviously must be due to homophobic locals, because new restaurants in small towns in remote seasonal areas opened by outsiders always succeed, right? Classic lazy liberal identity politics thinking (I actually liked Elevation and even I saw this).

Members of aggrieved groups should watch a Chappelle Show sketch called "The Monsters" (I tried but couldn't find a good video); here's a description from a review:

This sketch was presented in black and white, labeled "The Monsters" and featuring Charlie as Frankenstein's monster, Dave as The Werewolf, and Donnell as The Mummy, we got to see just how the world treats these monsters. Appropriately entitled "The System Is Not Designed For Us," this sketch followed how the monsters perceived racism from simple criticism about their monsters qualities (Frankenstein is violent, The Werewolf is naked, and The Mummy is slow).
    The point is, if something happens to you, it probably has nothing to do with your "identity."

To the point of this thread/conversation: being lazy enough to think it always is about identity makes for writing that many who think of themselves as King readers will find repellent.

...One of the main antagonists beats the crap out of his wife because she signed a pro-abortion petition...
    ...but mainly because he (Ed Deepneau) was being manipulated by Atropos (not politics).
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    ...it would have been somewhat more interesting if Billy Summers, as most military vets, had been portrayed as a Trump supporter instead of detractor.
    King likely would've thought a Trump-supporting Billy would want to set up a post near the border to shoot Mexican or Central American children - the problem is that King (and so many others) consider Trump support absolutely synonymous with racism, hatred, etc. These people won't comprehend this paragraph.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Of course: first they were one thing (experimental, something you don't mandate), later they became another (standard, something you might mandate). Today, it's particularly important not to confuse these two things.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    If someone is racist, that's not a "view" to be open minded about.
    That's true, but not applicable to the conversation at hand.

98% of those crying "racism" (as well as other "isms" or "phobias") think everything they disagree with is racism (or phobia etc.) - but they wouldn't necessarily suffer this logical/intellectual implosion if they were more openminded about those with whom they disagree.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Of course: first they were one thing (experimental, something you don't mandate), later they became another (standard, something you might mandate). Today, it's particularly important not to confuse these two things.
    And when it goes standard, you'll be filled with glee at the vaccine mandates?

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Honestly, I'm starting to come around to the opinion of just let people do what they want. The facts are there, the science is there. If you want the world to know how anti-vax/anti-mask you were when they read your obituary, so be it. Seems like there's at least one story every single day about someone that was.

Or a story about a family that was, then one of them dies and all the rest run to get vaccinated. Either way works.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I thought Pfizer was already off the emergency approval and onto full approval?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Honestly, I'm starting to come around to the opinion of just let people do what they want. The facts are there, the science is there. If you want the world to know how anti-vax/anti-mask you were when they read your obituary, so be it. Seems like there's at least one story every single day about someone that was.

Or a story about a family that was, then one of them dies and all the rest run to get vaccinated. Either way works.
    The problem is they are sending their sick kids to school and a lot of teachers and school staff members have died all around the country.
    Some are more concerned with the border than the fact that yesterday more people died from COVID than the 9/11 attacks.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    You might be insane if you think vaccine mandates are a good thing.
    Then I'm insane and proud of it.

And it's not that Trump supporters have different views - it's that Trump is an anti-American, anti-democracy wannabe authoritarian. My gosh, the idiot is asking for a recount in TEXAS!
    How is asking for a recount "anti-American"? Didn't Al Gore ask for a recount and claim the 2000 election was stolen? Doesn't Hillary suggest to this day that the 2016 election was stolen by Russian collusion? An outlandish and baseless conspiracy theory. It's fine to say this is pointless, but "anti-American"? This is a great example of how the concept of "tolerance" for other views only goes one way. Dems insist that others must be open minded or accept their belief system. But it doesn't work the other way. In fact, anyone who has a differing view is deemed anti-American or bigoted. By definition having differences of opinion is a fundamental principle of democracy and America.
    Not a very apt comparison, comparing the Florida recount in 2000, where the margin was so razor-thin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_U...unt_in_Florida Gore also accepted defeat and moved on.

Biden won Arizona by over 10,000 votes: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ger-lead-biden

It is fully approved by the FDA but these people do not care.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

OK. It's time to wait for the book, then discuss it's merits/leanings etc.
    Political and Vaccine discussions should be done in the appropriate thread(s).

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    OK. It's time to wait for the book, then discuss it's merits/leanings etc.
    Political and Vaccine discussions should be done in the appropriate thread(s).
    Thank you. Was just going to suggest the same thing. As Holly would say, too much political talk is just poopy.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Under The Dome is SK's most overtly political book with Big Jim Rennie and Peter Randolph as thinly disguised caricatures of Dick Cheney and George W. Bush.
    And Needful Things. Unless I'm wrong he stated the whole plot is a methafor of Reagan's government.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

The approval of this vaccine is nothing short of criminal by the FDA. Two of the most senior vaccine safety people at FDA left over the rushed and ridiculous approval of the vaccine. I work with the FDA every day and if you think it’s some sort of infallible agency you’re incredibly naive.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I really wish the political crap would go elsewhere. Holly rocks and I am looking forward to the book!
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would generally agree with you...but when something is wrong, well...

"Two of the most senior vaccine safety people at FDA left over the rushed and ridiculous approval of the vaccine."

In reality:
    "Two senior officials have resigned from their positions within the US Food and Drug Administration over frustrations with the Biden administration’s plans to move forward with recommending COVID-19 booster shots without their prior approval, according to a report." NYPost

Nothing wrong with the vaccine. It was approved because it is safe and works.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    I really wish the political crap would go elsewhere. Holly rocks and I am looking forward to the book!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Under The Dome is SK's most overtly political book with Big Jim Rennie and Peter Randolph as thinly disguised caricatures of Dick Cheney and George W. Bush.
    And Needful Things. Unless I'm wrong he stated the whole plot is a methafor of Reagan's government.
    Forgot about Needful Things Ari. While no less damning, SK's black comedy approach to NT made it much more enjoyable to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    The approval of this vaccine is nothing short of criminal by the FDA. Two of the most senior vaccine safety people at FDA left over the rushed and ridiculous approval of the vaccine. I work with the FDA every day and if you think it’s some sort of infallible agency you’re incredibly naive.
    Man, it must get tiring moving those goalposts all the time.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Besides "Gwendy's Final Task", the following King book haven't been announced yet.
    So likely an august or october release I guess?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger Apprentice fitomad is a jewel in the rough fitomad is a jewel in the rough fitomad is a jewel in the rough fitomad's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Besides "Gwendy's Final Task", the following King book haven't been announced yet.
    So likely an august or october release I guess?
    The last Gwendy's series book will be released in february, so It's probably that the Scribner will wait until august-october to release the new one

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

An sort-of update on this book on the Bloody Disgusting website today:

Scott Wampler and Eric Vespe scored their white whale on the Fangoria podcast The Kingcast, interviewing Stephen King himself on a brand new 1-hour episode that launched today.

During the chat, which you’ll find embedded below, Stephen King revealed that he’s again revisiting a character from his past work, with one of his next novels set to be titled Holly.

The new tale will center on the character Holly Gibney, a character from the Mr. Mercedes books who also made an appearance in The Outsider as well as If It Bleeds.

As the Stephen King Wikipedia explains, “[Holly Gibney] is the younger cousin of Janey and Olivia Gibney. Holly suffers from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), synesthesia, sensory processing disorder, and she’s somewhere on the autism spectrum. Despite this, she’s very observant, refreshingly unfiltered and unaware of her innocence.”

“I could never let Holly Gibney go, from the Mr. Mercedes books,” King tells The Kingcast. “I mean, she was supposed to be a walk-on character and she just kind of stole the book and stole my heart and so… I just finished a novel that’s called Holly and it’s all her, man.”

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought this was supposed to out already. Is there a publication date?
    Looking for Pierce Brown Red Rising #557 from Subterranean Press

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Some time next year
    My personal guess : march/april 2023
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast