Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King's new Holly Gibney novel "Holly" (September 5, 2023)

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    You don't believe that there are people who dislike Trump? LOL. If King received a few negative reviews because of his anti-Trump bias, it is reasonable to believe he received some positive reviews from the Trump haters. After all, Biden received the most votes in US history. More than JFK, Reagan, FDR, Obama or any candidate for president. He is wildly popular! People love him. Right? Right? Right? That is what you were told.
    People voted for him because they wanted the former guy out of office. They don’t worship him like a cult leader.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I never said that King is responsible for illegal aliens and the homeless. Why do you repeat that lie?
    He can say whatever he is told to say because it has no implications on his life. No homeless on his sidewalks, illegal aliens running across his lawn, or concerns with crime in his neighborhood. Others bear the consequences of his opinions.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    You don't believe that there are people who dislike Trump? LOL. If King received a few negative reviews because of his anti-Trump bias, it is reasonable to believe he received some positive reviews from the Trump haters. After all, Biden received the most votes in US history. More than JFK, Reagan, FDR, Obama or any candidate for president. He is wildly popular! People love him. Right? Right? Right? That is what you were told.
    People voted for him because they wanted the former guy out of office. They don’t worship him like a cult leader.
    A cult leader? That sounds like a justification to post positive reviews for any author who criticizes him. Right? Even if they have not read the book.

Country
    Country Flag

A cult leader? That sounds like a justification to post positive reviews for any author who criticizes him. Right? Even if they have not read the book.
    You’re the one making assumptions that’s what happening solely because that’s what the other side is doing.

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I never said that King is responsible for illegal aliens and the homeless. Why do you repeat that lie?
    He can say whatever he is told to say because it has no implications on his life. No homeless on his sidewalks, illegal aliens running across his lawn, or concerns with crime in his neighborhood. Others bear the consequences of his opinions.
    Exactly as I said. Thanks for posting that to clarify your false characterization. King is not responsible for the record number of homeless and illegal aliens. Biden deserves that honor. What I said is that King has "no homeless on his sidewalks, illegal aliens running across his lawns, or concerns with crime" because he lives behind walls in protected communities. He can pontificate on these issues without any consequences. Virtue signaling from an old, rich white guy.

Country
    Country Flag

You said homeless people and illegal immigrants are “the consequences of King’s opinions”. Consequence means “a result or effect of an action or condition”. Ergo, “homeless people and illegal immigrants are a result or effect of King’s opinions.” Ergo, King’s opinions are responsible.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

You said homeless people and illegal immigrants are “the consequences of King’s opinions”. Consequence means “a result or effect of an action or condition”. Ergo, “homeless people and illegal immigrants are a result or effect of King’s opinions.” Ergo, King’s opinions are responsible.
    Wrong. I said others bear the consequences of his opinions. King lives in privilege. He can pontificate about these issues because others have to bear the consequences. Others have to figure out how to deal with and pay for the care of homeless and illegals while King spends his time watching Netflix. If there is any doubt let me say it again. Joe Biden is the president. He made the decision to open the borders to five million or so illegal immigrants. He is responsible for this disaster. King is just a virtue signaler.

Country
    Country Flag

I said others bear the consequences of his opinions.
    And you know what ‘consequence’ means, right? That by definition, a consequence of his opinion would be a direct result…? Even if that’s not what you meant that’s what you are saying.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

I said others bear the consequences of his opinions.
    And you know what ‘consequence’ means, right? That by definition, a consequence of his opinion would be a direct result…? Even if that’s not what you meant that’s what you are saying.
    I explained it a dozen times. Joe Biden is the president. He made the decisions that allowed millions of illegal aliens to enter the country by his own count. King has nothing to do with that disaster. What King has done is lend his voice to the support of those policies. Why? Here is where your confusion lies. Wait for it. Because King does not bear the CONSEQUENCES of his own opinions. Again, King is not responsible for this situation, but he can support these policies because they have - wait for it - no CONSEQUENCES on his own privileged lifestyle. King is not affected by the policies that he supports. They have no - wait for it - CONSEQUENCES for him. Who do they have CONSEQUENCES for? The people who have to deal with the homeless and illegal aliens.

Country
    Country Flag

What policies has King endorsed here that would lead to an increase in homelessness or illegal immigration? Specifically.

And again, how would King know someone’s immigration status since you think he would have them arrested?

My Collection

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"The Stephen and Tabitha King (STK) Foundation provides grants for projects in Maine that address the underlying causes and consequences of social and environmental problems...
    Past grants have included...services for homeless individuals." Rural Health Information Hub

What have you done for them?
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You do know that “illegals” and “illegal aliens” is highly outdated phrasing, right?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Alright. It's time to take these debates to the political discussion thread. I think enough has been said here.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you! I personally love the book so far. Yes, I hate Trump but the Covid and Trump aspects are of minimal consequences. They do reflect the time of the story and SK obviously has Holly and others anti-Trump. Big deal, still a fun story. Anyone else loving it?
    Last edited by Garrell; 09-12-2023 at 10:48 AM. Reason: add
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Thank you! I personally love the book so far. Yes, I hate Trump but the Covid and Trump aspects are of minimal consequences. They do reflect the time of the story and SK obviously has Holly and others anti-Trump. Big deal, still a fun story. Anyone else loving it?
    Absolutely. The Trump/Covid references, like you said, reflect the time of the story and don't bother me one bit.

sk

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This book sucksssssssssssssssssssss. I am having a tough time finishing it. Anyone else feel this is a SLOG?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    You do know that “illegals” and “illegal aliens” is highly outdated phrasing, right?
    According to who? The thought police? Here is the dictionary definition of the word:

alien - a foreigner, especially one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where they are living.

If such a person violates the immigration laws and comes here "illegally" under the laws they are an "illegal alien."

I feel sorry for these people. They are being treated like animals by the Biden administration. Forced to sleep on sidewalks and turned away from parties on Martha's Vineyard.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    This book sucksssssssssssssssssssss. I am having a tough time finishing it. Anyone else feel this is a SLOG?
    I give it a C-. Clearly not among his best books, but also not the worst. The latter is becoming increasingly stiff competition since King has written numerous awful books over the last two decades. Hard to pick the absolute worst. Although I disagree with the political virtue signaling, that is not why it is a middling book. The endless COVID nonsense does disrupt the flow of the plot. Every new character has to ask if others are "vaxed." That's like a secret handshake or litmus test to signal whether the character is a "good" person who buys the leftist narrative or an evil Trump supporter (who also must be racist and stupid). King is virtue signaling that he is "hep." It's a bit pathetic. I've never had a single person ever ask me if I was "vaxed." I've never asked if anyone else was. It is not my business. Some of the characters are interesting, though. The problem is that the plot is wildly implausible and slow. It's just a lazy effort to use established characters while grafting on an octogenarian Hannible Lecter. No one here would read this book if it didn't have King's name on it. I will say this. It has its moments but sadly is just a shadow of King's great books from the 70s and 80s. So not a complete waste.

Country
    Country Flag

It makes perfect sense why someone who is a germaphobe/hypochondriac and whose mother died from covid after refusing the vaccine would be asking that. There’s nothing lazy about building on pre-established characters either; King likes Holly a lot and he’s often thinking about her.

My Collection

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I may be the minority here, but any book with Holly as the main character just doesn't interest me at all. I find her annoying.

John F. Kennedy The Great Buchinsky will become famous soon enough

It was a pretty quick read and I liked the stuff involving the Harris’ and their crimes. Holly is not a very good lead and the detective work is ridiculous. Every person she talks to just dumps a massive clue in her lap. I still love cracking any new King book but don’t foresee this one getting a re-read anytime soon.

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished the book. Overall I thought it was enjoyable, the Harrises made for compelling villains. I still don’t get why King loves Holly so much but I didn’t mind her.

My Collection

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is the worst King book.. I am shocked anyone likes this...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Finished Holly over the weekend. Not bad but not memorable either. I skipped most of the Barbara Robinson sections as her subplot was just too coincidental and convenient. The Harrises made for unique villains. I found the "elf parfait" and "elf ball" references quite amusing.
    The whole preemptive Covid "controversy" was way overblown on both sides. It didn't add anything to the story other than to let us know that in SK's world anyone not vaccinated is a knuckle dragging MAGA supporter and that non-vaxxers are the only people who die from Covid.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    The whole preemptive Covid "controversy" was way overblown on both sides. It didn't add anything to the story other than to let us know that in SK's world anyone not vaccinated is a knuckle dragging MAGA supporter and that non-vaxxers are the only people who die from Covid.
    I think only one side took any real offense to it.

That being said there were a few "normal" characters in the story who mentioned they didn't believe in it without any real judgment being passed on them via the narrative. And Holly's mother's death from Covid was a major plot point.

With Barbara's subplot
    Spoiler:
    I guessed that somehow she would be kidnapped by the Harrises as a result so yeah I was kind of like 'when is something to happen'. Maybe King was just interested in discussing poetry.

My Collection

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast