Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King's new Holly Gibney novel "Holly" (September 5, 2023)

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by fitomad View Post
    This cover reminds me "The Institute" style.
    Reminds me of that as well, although with more (and interesting) detail, as Mae pointed out. I like it.

Painting that house would be a pain in the neck...
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Complete with a classic Kingspoiler!
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gunslinger Apprentice fitomad is a jewel in the rough fitomad is a jewel in the rough fitomad is a jewel in the rough fitomad's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fitomad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    The temp UK one is, according to amz :

It seems that a bike is involved in the plot

Or a wheelchair.
    Indeed

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Now available to purchase at THE BOOK DEPOSITORY if you are in the USA and wish to order the UK trade PB and HC editions:

HC, Hodder & Stoughton, 9-5-23, 9781399712910
    PB, Hodder & Stoughton, 9-5-23, 9781399712927
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There’s not much to address, your criticisms were just attacks on King’s politics (he’s “an old white liberal”) and a bizarre statement that King writes minorities as ‘not corrupted by "civilization" and therefore living in harmony with nature etc’ which doesn’t apply to any minority character King has written in decades, if at all.
    Like the great JK Rowling:

I shall file your lost admiration carefully in the box where I keep my missing f—s,

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can't say I'm shocked you're unable to back up your bizarre statement of King espousing the belief that minorities are 'not corrupted by "civilization" and therefore living in harmony with nature etc’ or that you couldn't think of any King character from the last twenty years that it might apply to.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The UK cover has landed on amazon

------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That confirms it's a bike wheel on the other cover at least.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can't say I'm shocked you're unable to back up your bizarre statement of King espousing the belief that minorities are 'not corrupted by "civilization" and therefore living in harmony with nature etc’ or that you couldn't think of any King character from the last twenty years that it might apply to.
    There is nothing bizarre about it unless you don't understand the concept. King's characterization of minorities and children are an extension of the stereotype "noble savage" from literature with a leftist patriarchal bent. As a result, his minority and child characters more often have "special" powers or second sight than others. His books are full of such examples. Who has the "shining"?

"In Western anthropology, philosophy, and literature, the noble savage is a stock character who is uncorrupted by civilization. As such, the noble savage symbolizes the innate goodness and moral superiority of a primitive people living in harmony with Nature."

Country
    Country Flag

You said King writes minorities as 'not corrupted by "civilization" and therefore living in harmony with nature etc’ and when I ask for one example from the last twenty years of a minority character that fits that description, all you can come up with is King’s use of psychic powers.

Never mind that that has nothing to do with the noble savage concept.

Never mind that you listed Holly as an example and she doesn’t *have* any powers!

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

You said King writes minorities as 'not corrupted by "civilization" and therefore living in harmony with nature etc’ and when I ask for one example from the last twenty years of a minority character that fits that description, all you can come up with is King’s use of psychic powers.

Never mind that that has nothing to do with the noble savage concept.

Never mind that you listed Holly as an example and she doesn’t *have* any powers!
    I gave you a specific example. In fact, it is a leitmotiv of King novels. LOL. The Stand. The Shining. Firestarter. Carrie. The Institute. Whew.

Country
    Country Flag

No, you didn’t. You’re conflating ‘kids with psychic powers’ with minorities being depicted as “noble savages” which makes no sense.

How does “the noble savage symbolizes the innate goodness and moral superiority of a primitive people living in harmony with Nature” even begin to describe a character like Carrie for example?

There’s a whole list of examples of this trope here and none of your examples fit in with them.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NobleSavage

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice Curly has a spectacular aura about Curly has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Not much of a review. Sounds like he just copied the blurb on the jacket.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Tune in on August 3rd at 2pm EST to watch Stephen King read from his new novel HOLLY, coming September 5th!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can anybody confirm that there is an excerpt of "Holly" in the mass paperback version of "Fairy Tale"?

I feel like someone said so a few weeks ago, not sure whether it was the uk or us paperback, but not sure and can't find the info on amazon
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

There's nothing in the US Scribner June 2023 trade paperback.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

According to Lilja, it's in the mmp of Billy Summers, not Fairy Tale.

Just checked my June 2023 small paperback from Pocket Books of BILLY SUMMERS, and yes, it has the HOLLY excerpt.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

There's also a Holly excerpt on the Fairy Tale Paperback edition. It also includes an edited and adapted version of Stephen King's talk during the Chaltenham Literature Festival.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's awesome Justine is narrating! She nailed Holly in the MM series.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Esquire has an excerpt

This article appeared in the September 2023 issue of Esquire

Country
    Country Flag

New excerpt from Entertainment Weekly

https://ew.com/books/holly-stephen-k...ive-excerpt-2/

My Collection

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast