9 40.91%
  • The Music Man

7 31.82%
  • Cul-de-sac

5 22.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1960s: Round 2 - Group 27 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1960s: Round 2 - Group 27 of 32

During the second round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to two films you would like to move onto the next round. The top two films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961)
    Directed by Clyde Geronimi, Hamilton Luske, and Wolfgang Reitherman

Watch Trailer

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967)
    Directed by Stanley Kramer

Watch Trailer

The Music Man (1962)
    Directed by Morton DaCosta

Watch Trailer

Cul-de-sac (1966)
    Directed by Roman Polanski

Watch Trailer

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

only movie in this list I have seen is Music Man which I watched about a week ago. Good enough to vote for, but not all that great.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner was just added to TCM if you wanted to watch it: https://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/titles/23790

Cul-de-sac you can watch on Paramount+ and of course One Hundred and One Dalmatians is on Disney+.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

@Mae can you add a vote for Cul-De-Sac please, gracias.

Country
    Country Flag

Done.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Guess Who's Coming to Dinner was just added to TCM if you wanted to watch it: https://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/titles/23790

Cul-de-sac you can watch on Paramount+ and of course One Hundred and One Dalmatians is on Disney+.
    I'll have to add 101 dalmations to my list.

TMC has been great. Never really watched it much before, but in April was channel surfing and started watching something on it, and turns out they had a month of Oscars celebration, and showed every ocscar winner in alphabetical order. They were already in the M's but I recorded a lot of movies. Now I check the schedule every week or two and record movies that look interesting. (thats where I watched Music Man from).

Also been watching a lot of Disney+ movies, last night watched Blackbeard's Ghost (not in the tournament), and The Absent Minded Professor (just eliminated). Also watched The Shaggy Dog (50's), The Love Bug and probably several others.
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    only movie in this list I have seen is Music Man which I watched about a week ago. Good enough to vote for, but not all that great.
    Really? I think it is a perfect musical. Preston and Jones are a winning pair. I find this musical to be top representative of this era. Schmigadoon did some wonderful homages to it, which speaks to long-lasting effect.

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting how close this one is, as opposed to a lot of other groups.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Music Man has so many memorable tunes!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Unfortunately, it had many forgettable ones as well.

Just curious, were all the tunes original for Music Man?

I really didn't buy into the relationship between the professor and the librarian, just didn't seem to sell it.

To be clear, it is just this particular version I wasn't impressed with. I saw a community play version, and might have seen the remake with Matthew Broderick.
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following two titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. One Hundred and One Dalmatians (54.55%)
    2. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (40.91%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. The Music Man (31.82%)
    2. Cul-de-sac (22.73%)

+ Reply to Thread