Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Billy Summers

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Default Billy Summers

Curious to read member opinions. I thought it was middle of the pack SK. Not bad but nothing special.

Gunslinger Apprentice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Not my favorite for sure, but I liked it a little more than average. I put it at 21/59 on my ranked list of novels.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Not quite done but really enjoying it. I like the character building he’s done in this story.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Personally, loved it. One of my favorite (King)reads in many a year.

sk

Gunslinger Apprentice Curly has a spectacular aura about Curly has a spectacular aura about

Couldn't remember much about it after first read.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very disappointing book. Some of the plot elements were ludicrous. If it were a "supernatural" book, then maybe it would be easier to suspend disbelief but wow. And how many times did Billy go to Walmart or the store? I may owe Owen King an apology. I thought he was the reason that Sleeping Beauties was so bad, but a lot of the same problems in this book.
    Spoiler:
    The plot involving organized crime figures hiring a sniper was insane. A sniper killing is a high publicity act (remember the DC snipers?). You don't have a sniper killing multiple people around the country - even "bad" people - and get away with it for long. You certainly can't just put a wig on and walk away. What was with all the disguises? My favorite had to be when Billy tried to disguise himself as a deaf and mute Mexican by putting on bronzer! He apparently had to be deaf and mute because he couldn't speak Spanish. HA HA HA. You can't make that up. And then his cover was immediately blown and that was all pointless. The organized crime figures rent space in an office building for months and Billy's cover is to be a writer! They also rent a house and he mixes with the neighbors because getting to know everyone is a good cover? Wow. And then old Marge is hanging around the estate where Billy eventually shows up to kill the evil mastermind for days, weeks, months in advance just waiting for him to show up. Unreal. The references to the Overlook hotel felt cheap. Like King got four hundred pages into this hot mess and realized he was in trouble. The solution? Make a couple of references to the Overlook. I also learned kids are still enthusiastic about playing board games and their parents will even invite the lone adult male who just moved in next door to spend time with them! It was also extremely weird that even though the book is set before the pandemic that there are a couple of references to it in the future tense. A bit jarring. Most secondary characters and plot lines go absolutely nowhere. Much like Sleeping Beauties.

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    Very disappointing book. Some of the plot elements were ludicrous. If it were a "supernatural" book, then maybe it would be easier to suspend disbelief but wow. And how many times did Billy go to Walmart or the store? I may owe Owen King an apology. I thought he was the reason that Sleeping Beauties was so bad, but a lot of the same problems in this book.
    Spoiler:
    The plot involving organized crime figures hiring a sniper was insane. A sniper killing is a high publicity act (remember the DC snipers?). You don't have a sniper killing multiple people around the country - even "bad" people - and get away from it for long. You certainly can't just put a wig on and walk away. What was with all the disguises? My favorite had to be when Billy tried to disguise himself as a deaf and mute Mexican by putting on bronzer! He apparently had to be deaf and mute because he couldn't speak Spanish. HA HA HA. You can't make that up. And then his cover was immediately blown and that was all pointless. The organized crime figures rent space in an office building for months and Billy's cover is to be a writer! They also rent a house and he mixes with the neighbors because getting to know everyone is a good cover. Wow. And then old Marge is hanging around the estate where Billy eventually shows up to kill the evil mastermind for days, weeks, months waiting for him to show up. Unreal. The references to the Overlook hotel felt cheap. Like King got four hundred pages into this hot mess and realized he was in trouble. The solution? Make a couple of references to the Overlook. I also learned kids are still enthusiastic about playing board gams and their parents will even invite the lone adult male who just moved in next door to spend time with them!
    +1 I agree. This story never went anywhere for me. I am wondering if King has run out of ideas. I am so sick of King's political commentary. He must have made 20 - 30 anti Trump comments in this story. It adds nothing to the story, and just becomes very annoying after a while.
    Looking for Pierce Brown Red Rising #557 from Subterranean Press

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished it. Not his best but still pretty good.

Spoiler:
    I pretty much called as soon as the the conclusion was being written
    as a story that there would be some sort of twist that Billy wasn’t the one writing it and that what we saw didn’t actually happen.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

+ Reply to Thread