Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Doubleday Printings

Traveler Jgarci33 will become famous soon enough Jgarci33 will become famous soon enough

Default Is this still an active thread?

If not can I directed to the latest thread or updated tables. I think you’re doing a good job in finding later printings and hope you guys keep up the good work. I’ll try to contribute when I can I just started collecting and these gutter codes are really eating at me.

Traveler Jgarci33 will become famous soon enough Jgarci33 will become famous soon enough

The Stand $19.95 CC32 no number line
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/29500986106...mis&media=COPY

Traveler allieshark639 is on a distinguished road

Default Carrie

I have a Carrie that’s $13.95 and code Z16. So does that mean it was printed the 16th week of 1984? How would I found out what number printing it was?

Gunslinger Apprentice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jgarci33 View Post
    Is this still an active thread?
    I update the thread anytime I find new information, but I haven’t run across anything new very recently. I appreciate any help!

The Stand $19.95 CC32 no number line
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/29500986106...mis&media=COPY
    Great! Thanks! I’ll add this to the table.

Gunslinger Apprentice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allieshark639 View Post
    I have a Carrie that’s $13.95 and code Z16. So does that mean it was printed the 16th week of 1984?
    Based on the evidence we have, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by allieshark639 View Post
    How would I found out what number printing it was?
    The only way we’ll probably ever know for sure is to fill in these gaps. Based on what we have so far, your book is most likely a 6th printing, but it could be a 5th if it turns out the printing we don’t have info for yet comes after yours.

Gunslinger Apprentice M_O_O_N has a little shameless behaviour in the past M_O_O_N's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have a "The Stand" priced $12.95 with gutter code of "T45" if that is of any help to you.
    There are no coincidences. Only Ka.
    ~I don't like rep points! ~
    Please use only the 'I disapprove' option for me. (If it do ya fine.)

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by M_O_O_N View Post
    I have a "The Stand" priced $12.95 with gutter code of "T45" if that is of any help to you.
    Isn’t T45 the book club code?

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Isn’t T45 the book club code?
    Yeah, I've only ever seen the T45 code on book club editions, so I'd say you most likely have a book club interior with a standard dust jacket swapped on. It's definitely possible the second printing came that soon after the first and happened to be printed the same week as the BCE, but I'd want to see some more examples to confirm it.

Default Pet Semetary

$15.95 No FIRST EDITION stated in copyright page. Gutter code begins with Y3 owner doesn’t want to prick to see following number. Can’t blame him.
    Possible 2nd print.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29511042710...mis&media=COPY

Could possibly be bought to see what the code is to serve the beam?

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

$15.95 No FIRST EDITION stated in copyright page. Gutter code begins with Y3 owner doesn’t want to prick to see following number. Can’t blame him.
    Possible 2nd print.

Interesting. It seems crazy that there'd be a second printing only a week after the first, but it would have to be Y39 if the Y3 part is right, and there does seem to be a cluster of very early printings for this book for whatever reason. I don't know if they misjudged the demand or had printing issues or what. Maybe I will grab it if it doesn't get any other bids just to see for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel_pyle View Post
    Possible 2nd print.

Interesting. It seems crazy that there'd be a second printing only a week after the first, but it would have to be Y39 if the Y3 part is right, and there does seem to be a cluster of very early printings for this book for whatever reason. I don't know if they misjudged the demand or had printing issues or what. Maybe I will grab it if it doesn't get any other bids just to see for myself.
    Yeah I was surprised when he showed me the Y3 picture. Hope no one bids on it.
    Sometimes I get eBay sellers to end the bid early for the starting bid (works every now and then) I especially do it on newly listed to snag a book before anyone sees it)
    Either hope you win it to find out more. Side note I get my 1st/1st The Stand in today super excited.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Side note I get my 1st/1st The Stand in today super excited.
    Congrats! That is exciting.

Night Shift | $17.95 Printed on DJ (not a sticker)| No # Line | Per Seller No Gutter Code (Trying to get picture of page 336 trying to get confirmation on gutter code). Will update. Possible 10th print.
    Also receiving Shining 19.95 Monday or Tuesday with seller saying there’s no gutter code (I had no picture proof and also I know this one has been posted on here already but just trying to confirm)

Default Carrie!

16.95$ | No # line | No Gutter Code
    List complete?!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19492129034...mis&media=COPY

Seller sent me a picture of page of page absolutely 100% no gutter code

Goes in line with the shining book I have with price and no gutter code

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

List complete?!!

Can you send me a copy of that picture? I've been trying to keep as many photos as possible for reference.

List complete?!!

Can you send me a copy of that picture? I've been trying to keep as many photos as possible for reference.
    I’m on mobile so I don’t know how to add/copy a picture. If you’ll like I can send you an email with attached photos. If not then I’m sure the seller will send you a picture of the page.

Received my Night Shift book today.
    17.95$ | No # Line on Copyright Page | No gutter code

I honestly think Carrie list is complete tbh.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for confirming. I've updated the table with that info.

I agree that it seems like the Carrie list might be complete. It's pretty unbelievable to me that they wouldn't have done a second printing for so many years, but unless we see some evidence that indicates something else, that seems to be the best prevailing theory. No matter what, I don't know if I'll ever feel comfortable calling these tables anything but a best guess, but the more evidence I see, the better I'll feel about it. Maybe I'll go back through and start marking the printings I've seen multiple times so at least there's some kind of indication of how "validated" each printing is.

Thanks for confirming. I've updated the table with that info.

I agree that it seems like the Carrie list might be complete. It's pretty unbelievable to me that they wouldn't have done a second printing for so many years, but unless we see some evidence that indicates something else, that seems to be the best prevailing theory. No matter what, I don't know if I'll ever feel comfortable calling these tables anything but a best guess, but the more evidence I see, the better I'll feel about it. Maybe I'll go back through and start marking the printings I've seen multiple times so at least there's some kind of indication of how "validated" each printing is.
    I get it. We need a least a couple/multiples to truly confirm the tables. These books have been out for years and I know there’s some that are questionable or at least don’t make any sense. I’ll just keep posting my findings when I can.

In saying that… another finding
    The Stand | $19.95 | No # Line | No Gutter code

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27541887834...mis&media=COPY

Also I have reason to believe that there’s a Salem’s Lot with price on DJ | No # Line | No Gutter Code. This one I’m confident that there is one but I can’t provide definitive proof. But just want to make a note. I have pictures of this copy but I can’t post them. I’m coming to the conclusion that many of these books before DoubleDay goes to stating prints on Copyright page. There’s a trade copy right before them that have the same characteristics
    1) Price on DJ
    2) No Stated Printing
    3) No Gutter Code
    4) Barcode in the back of the DJ (I also know there’s BCE with barcodes in the back but with no printed price on DJ

Seen it on The Stand I just mentioned. My copy of The Shining. My copy of my Night Shift.
    Seen it on Carrie that I provided a few days ago.
    Also the Salem’s Lot I came across has all 4 things. 3 of the 4 things are verified. But it was price clipped although it was price clipped totally clipped off the following wasn’t clipped which are the words printed as follows (Publisher Price Highe… *clipped* which makes me believe it had a price on it. I’ll try to find the link so you can see what I’m talking about if I can find it and re-edit this comment by providing the link.

Here you go…
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/11548983497...mis&media=COPY

This one makes me believe by the patterns of the books that this Salem’s lot is most likely $19.95 | No Stated Number Line | No Gutter Code (I got the picture from the seller which I’m sure he’ll gladly give to you if asked) but zoom in on where the price should be…
    And let me know what you think… but yeah I want to say this is the 12th print of Salem’s lot. If we can find one that doesn’t have the price clipped then there’s another “completed” table…if you ken it

Also by noticing this patterns on all other books… then one would think there’s a Pet Sematary alike? But also like you mentioned before Pet Sematary printings are just baffling with clusters of trade printings in short span of time… so this one is an odd one in itself and I’m not sure if this one would have one with the four characteristics I’ve noticed.

Default The Shining

The Shining | 18.95 | A48 Gutter Code | No # Line on Copyright page.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17539150731...mis&media=COPY

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Updated. Thanks for all your help on this!

Updated. Thanks for all your help on this!
    No problem!

I don’t know if you overlooked this one..
    The Stand | $19.95 | No # Line (that I can see directly) On copyright page but highly doubt there’s one by seeing the picture of the title page and seeing the transparency of where the # line would be. | Seller sent me a picture of 823 and there’s no gutter code.

Here’s the link I doubt he’ll ever sell it at that price just in case you want to inquire more or have him show/send you photos himself

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27541887834...mis&media=COPY

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I finally picked up a 3rd printing Holdorf copy of Carrie to compare to my Phiesen 13th printing. A quick inspection didn't reveal any obvious reason why they would have started the printing number over for just this book and not the others, but I plan on going through it more carefully when I get some time. I'll let you know whether or not I find anything.

I don’t know if you overlooked this one..
    The Stand | $19.95 | No # Line
    Updated.

List complete?!!

Just an update I found another and bought a Carrie with $16.95 | No # Line on C.P. | No gutter code that’s in my bookshelf. So that’s two that I know of & I know it’s not the same book because my copy doesn’t have a sticker or remains of a torn sticker on the inside board nor is a name written on the book like one I posted a link to.

Default Night Shift

The 16.95$ Night Shift Copy is CC15

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast