• Cool Hand Luke

11 50.00%
  • Planet of the Apes

19 86.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1960s: Round 1 - Group 27 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1960s: Round 1 - Group 27 of 32

During the first round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to four films you would like to move onto the next round. The top four films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Mary Poppins (1964)
    Directed by Robert Stevenson

Watch Trailer

Midnight Cowboy (1969)
    Directed by John Schlesinger

Watch Trailer

The Dirty Dozen (1967)
    Directed by Robert Aldrich

Watch Trailer

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1966)
    Directed by Richard Lester

Watch Trailer

Cool Hand Luke (1967)
    Directed by Stuart Rosenberg

Watch Trailer

Planet of the Apes (1968)
    Directed by Franklin J. Schaffner

Watch Trailer

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Is this a joke? This group is easily the best we've had, and each should move on. I can't believe we are cutting any of these loose after only one round.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, these groups are randomized multiple times and that's just how it came out. "Best" is also subjective, and the point of this is to arrive at some general consensus.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree it's frustrating at times. A few groups I've seen and really liked all 6 films and it's tough choosing just 4. And other times (like for another grouping in this round), I haven't seen ANY of the movies and can't vote for even one.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Sorry, these groups are randomized multiple times and that's just how it came out. "Best" is also subjective, and the point of this is to arrive at some general consensus.
    Never a need to apologize. Just expressing my frustration, subjective as it is.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Never a need to apologize. Just expressing my frustration, subjective as it is.
    Yes. Never the less, an especially tough group!! There are a few films here that could easily make it to the final rounds. At least IMHO anyway. That's what is fun and difficult about these tournaments though I would suppose.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, lots of good movies in this group (or so I have heard), but alas I have actually only seen one of them.

EDIT: well actually two, but have no memories what so ever of Mary Poppins, since I was probably 5 or less when I saw it.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

I'm shocked Mary Poppins is tied for fourth!

Gunslinger Apprentice OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

This is the group of death! A couple of really good films will be gone in the first round.
    Alright, we'll call it a draw.

Country
    Country Flag

Mary Poppins needs one vote just to tie for last place, this is sad

Gunslinger Apprentice OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Possibly the remake would've garnered more votes?

Alright, we'll call it a draw.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OldCrow88 View Post
    Possibly the remake would've garnered more votes?

Really tough grouping and, Mary Poppins is feeling the squeeze i suppose.

Far as the poster, personally I would have gone with, Julie Andrews and Yon-Du but thats JMHO!!!

Edit: Can you just picture the "Chimney sequence" with, Yon-Du and his magic arrow slaying all the sweepers? LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that's too bad. I absolutely hated Midnight Cowboy and Cool Hand Luke.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Yeah, that's too bad. I absolutely hated Midnight Cowboy and Cool Hand Luke.
    Wow. Midnight Cowboy I could kind of understand (bit of a depressing flick) but, Cool Hand Luke? Boy, we have a failure to communicate!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

"Shaking the bush, boss! Shaking the bush!"

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    "Shaking the bush, boss! Shaking the bush!"
    I'm told that unfortunately its more like a twig you be shaking!! LOL J/K LOL

Nobody can eat all them eggs!!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

One of the few scenes in a film where I felt exactly how the character felt eating all those eggs. Fascinating, revolting and almost painful experience.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    One of the few scenes in a film where I felt exactly how the character felt eating all those eggs. Fascinating, revolting and almost painful experience.
    LOL I hear ya!!! LOL Gotta only be possible through "Movie Magic" and judicious editing!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Midnight Cowboy is a giant downer (even the theme song is hard to take, not musically, but because it brings you down) but felt like it had something important to say.

Cool Hand Luke…I guess I’ll just never see what the fuss is - nothing interesting going on here, can’t tell why it was made.
    Eastasia has always provided Drag Queen Story Hour to young children.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I'd much rather Mary Poppins was in fourth, rather than Cool Hand Luke.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool Hand Luke is a classic!!!!! I put it on last year and the grandkids and everyone were like...ugh. Old movie ugh. Until I said 30 minutes in that I was going to switch it cause no one was liking it. The revolt was on and we finished it and they loved it.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Midnight Cowboy is a giant downer (even the theme song is hard to take, not musically, but because it brings you down) but felt like it had something important to say.

Cool Hand Luke…I guess I’ll just never see what the fuss is - nothing interesting going on here, can’t tell why it was made.
    Yeah I'd much rather Mary Poppins was in fourth, rather than Cool Hand Luke.
    Well, you guys are certainly entitled to your opinion. Mary Poppins, is a much more wholesome film as opposed to the mixed messages portrayed in CHL. Not the least of which is the individual vs the establishment. In the end I guess its just a cooler movie. MP though is a fixture in most folks childhood so, flip a coin I suppose or pick your preference. Paul Newman or Julie Andrews? lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Cool Hand Luke is a classic!!!!! I put it on last year and the grandkids and everyone were like...ugh. Old movie ugh. Until I said 30 minutes in that I was going to switch it cause no one was liking it. The revolt was on and we finished it and they loved it.
    Run it again, Uncle garrell!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Mary Poppins needs just one vote to force a three-way tie with Midnight Cowboy and Cool Hand Luke

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast