19 100.00%
  • One, Two, Three

3 15.79%
  • Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster

7 36.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1960s: Round 1 - Group 16 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1960s: Round 1 - Group 16 of 32

During the first round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to four films you would like to move onto the next round. The top four films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

The Pink Panther (1963)
    Directed by Blake Edwards

Watch Trailer

Viridiana (1961)
    Directed by Luis Buñuel

Watch Trailer

Repulsion (1965)
    Directed by Roman Polanski

Watch Trailer

Psycho (1960)
    Directed by Alfred Hitchcock

Watch Trailer

One, Two, Three (1961)
    Directed by Billy Wilder

Watch Trailer

Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964)
    Directed by Ishirō Honda

Watch Trailer

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Is it just me, or do others have a hard time voting for Polanski?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

If you're talking about his um... controversies, then yes.

But his films are generally pretty great. Repulsion in particular is one of his stronger offerings and doesn't get mentioned enough.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

@Mae can you add one vote for Psycho pls.

thanks,

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    @Mae can you add one vote for Psycho pls.

thanks,
    Done!

Country
    Country Flag

Just two votes for One, Two, Three? It's one of the funniest movies of all time! I hope it can move on.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Just two votes for One, Two, Three? It's one of the funniest movies of all time! I hope it can move on.
    Tied for last...

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following four titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Psycho (100.00%)
    2. The Pink Panther (68.42%)
    3. Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (36.84%)
    4. Repulsion (31.58%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. One, Two, Three (15.79%)
    2. Viridiana (15.79%)

Country
    Country Flag

I'm really shocked and saddened to see One, Two, Three bow out in the first round. I think it also didn't fare well in our Best Comedy tournament. It's hilarious! Is it just that most people haven't seen it? But how is that possible? I thought this was a beloved classic.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I'm really shocked and saddened to see One, Two, Three bow out in the first round. I think it also didn't fare well in our Best Comedy tournament. It's hilarious! Is it just that most people haven't seen it? But how is that possible? I thought this was a beloved classic.
    I certainly love it but I don't think it is as widely watched as some of Wilder's other films (Sunset Blvd. Double Indemnity, Some Like it Hot, Ace in the Hole, etc.). Something that might throw some people is the speed of the film. The dialogue is lightening fast. I think I read somewhere that Cagney stopped making films for 20 years after this one because it was such a chore to memorize all those lines and to say them so damn fast.

And Viridiana is such a transgresive film. The ending was censored but Bunuel interpreted the ending he was made to replace the original with as being even more salacious as a metaphor and liked it better.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Psycho with that perfect score tho!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Psycho with that perfect score tho!
    You expected a different outcome? LOL That film has champion potential I would think.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

So happy to see Repulsion moving on, I love that movie.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread