3 14.29%
  • Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

12 57.14%
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service

13 61.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1960s: Round 1 - Group 13 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1960s: Round 1 - Group 13 of 32

During the first round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to four films you would like to move onto the next round. The top four films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)
    Directed by Robert Aldrich

Watch Trailer

Hang 'Em High (1968)
    Directed by Ted Post

Watch Trailer

Fail Safe (1964)
    Directed by Sidney Lumet

Watch Trailer

The Tale of Zatoichi (1962)
    Directed by Kenji Misumi

Watch Trailer

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967)
    Directed by Stanley Kramer

Watch Trailer

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)
    Directed by Peter R. Hunt

Watch Trailer

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Now that's a really fine grouping!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Close group!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following four titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Hang 'Em High (61.90%)
    2. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (61.90%)
    3. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (57.14%)
    4. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (57.14%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. Fail Safe (38.10%)
    2. The Tale of Zatoichi (14.29%)

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The Tale of Zatroichi is so good - sad to see it go.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    The Tale of Zatroichi is so good - sad to see it go.
    Never really had a chanve against those four films.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Remember, just because a movie is out in the first round, doesn't mean it's not worth watching. Every movie nominated during our tournaments is worth watching, I believe. After we do all ten decades, we will have an ultimate all-time list of 2,000 movies. If you only watch those in your lifetime, you're set.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post

1. Fail Safe (38.10%)
    Weird question/observation Guess Who's Coming to Dinner doesn't have a question mark at the end of it's title but Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? does have a question mark at the end. They are both questions as titles, right?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

1. Fail Safe (38.10%)
    Weird question/observation Guess Who's Coming to Dinner doesn't have a question mark at the end of it's title but Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? does have a question mark at the end. They are both questions as titles, right?
    Actually, given the tenor of the film, I think GWCTD is meant as a statement more than a question. Or perhaps its more of a rhetorical question? I always looked at it as the first part of a statement as in "GWCTD.....an African American".
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe it's short for "You'll Never Guess..."

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe it's short for "You'll Never Guess..."
    Definite possibility. Given the tenor of the film I think either suggestion captures the shock value intended, no?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

1. Fail Safe (38.10%)
    Actually, given the tenor of the film, I think GWCTD is meant as a statement more than a question. Or perhaps its more of a rhetorical question? I always looked at it as the first part of a statement as in "GWCTD.....an African American".
    But if put this way, it would still be a question met with answer even if spoken by the same person. And just doing a brief search but there is debate about using question marks at the end of rhetorical questions.
    I suspect it might have something to do with the artistic statement of the film. Not trying to grammar this to death, just happened to notice it.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

1. Fail Safe (38.10%)
    But if put this way, it would still be a question met with answer even if spoken by the same person. And just doing a brief search but there is debate about using question marks at the end of rhetorical questions.
    I suspect it might have something to do with the artistic statement of the film. Not trying to grammar this to death, just happened to notice it.
    I suppose its a matter of the form the statement makes. In writing it I guess correct grammar would include the question mark. However if tendered in spoken form the question part is a matter of tone. We could do this debate forever though I suppose. LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Baby Jane might show up for Dinner!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Baby Jane might show up for Dinner!
    That would be a neat trick seeing how she's dead. Also might tend to sour the meal with her smell and less than enthusiastic experession. lol

Of course, I suppose if they wheeled her in right after the "accident" it wouldn't make too much of a difference except for the less than thrilled expression on her face. lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Nothing on Wiki about the title that I could find...

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Nothing on Wiki about the title that I could find...
    Oh, I think this is more like what they mean when folks refer to "Mental Masturbation". LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Was gone away on vacation for a week and missed the poll. So glad Baby Jane is moving on, it's easily one of my top films of the decade.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread