8 38.10%
  • Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

8 38.10%
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

11 52.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1960s: Round 1 - Group 8 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1960s: Round 1 - Group 8 of 32

During the first round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to four films you would like to move onto the next round. The top four films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Three Outlaw Samurai (1964)
    Directed by Hideo Gosha

Watch Trailer

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
    Directed by Sergio Leone

Watch Trailer

Village of the Damned (1960)
    Directed by Wolf Rilla

Watch Trailer

The Apartment (1960)
    Directed by Billy Wilder

Watch Trailer

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)
    Directed by Mike Nichols

Watch Trailer

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)
    Directed by Ken Hughes

Watch Trailer

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very surprised to see The Apartment tied for last so far. It's one of the best of the 1960s, I always thought. A very popular quintessential film.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I for one have never heard of it. Only seen 1 in this group (when I was less then 10), at least heard of 4 of them, but The Apartment is not one of them
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang last week (along with The Misfits, had never seen either one) and I still can't get that ***** song out of my head.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    I watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang last week (along with The Misfits, had never seen either one) and I still can't get that ***** song out of my head.
    How does it hold up? I loved it as a kid, and enjoyed watching it with my daughters about 10 years ago. We loved it as a family.

Country
    Country Flag

(along with The Misfits, had never seen either one)
    It's coming up for voting soon, a great film!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Once Upon A Time in the West made me want to learn the harmonica when I was younger.

Also, probably in my personal top 10 favorite movie openings ever. Charlie Bronson da GOAT.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

For your viewing pleasure:

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Great scene!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post

Great scene!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How does it hold up? I loved it as a kid, and enjoyed watching it with my daughters about 10 years ago. We loved it as a family.
    It holds up for a kids movie, and if you remember it is 1960's special effects not today's. That opening scene tho could upset some little kids. And you have to like musicals.

I still have a hard time thinking of Dick Van Dyke as a song and dance man. I think of him as Rob Petrie. I guess like if one had only seen Hugh Jackman as Logan.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It holds up for a kids movie, and if you remember it is 1960's special effects not today's. That opening scene tho could upset some little kids. And you have to like musicals.

I still have a hard time thinking of Dick Van Dyke as a song and dance man. I think of him as Rob Petrie. I guess like if one had only seen Hugh Jackman as Logan.
    Makes sense. My first introduction to Dick Van Dyke was Mary Poppins, another musical, so it was no surprise to see him sing/dance. I'd later see him in the musical Bye Bye Birdie - he won a Tony for this one. I loved the Dick Van Dyke show - Mary Tyler Moore was my first TV crush.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You know what makes this scene so great? The slow build prior. The baddies waiting at the station. The fly. The train itself, which is a character in its own right. Sitting there chuffing and chuffing. And then Harmonica. And that great line captured in the above. Perhaps the only better single scene in all of '60s filmdom is Tuco running through the cemetery to "The Ecstasy of Gold." The fact that Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone drove both scenes says something about their contribution to mid-century film.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Makes sense. My first introduction to Dick Van Dyke was Mary Poppins, another musical, so it was no surprise to see him sing/dance. I'd later see him in the musical Bye Bye Birdie - he won a Tony for this one. I loved the Dick Van Dyke show - Mary Tyler Moore was my first TV crush.
    i was gonna say, you never viewed, "Mary Poppins"? Actually, as I recall, DVD was a song and dance man before assuming the role of, Rob Petrie. However, I can certainly understand the association. he was pretty fucking successful, along with Mary Tyler Moore, Maury Amsterdam (I believe) and the rest of the then star studded cast of the TV show for a pretty good run on the tube in the day.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post

You know what makes this scene so great? The slow build prior. The baddies waiting at the station. The fly. The train itself, which is a character in its own right. Sitting there chuffing and chuffing. And then Harmonica. And that great line captured in the above. Perhaps the only better single scene in all of '60s filmdom is Tuco running through the cemetery to "The Ecstasy of Gold." The fact that Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone drove both scenes says something about their contribution to mid-century film.
    Yeap. Everything about this scene is masterful. Also I love how the 3 goons take up their gunfighting stance in unison, and the camera pulls back ever so slightly to capture all the fighters and the landscape. (You can see it @ 1:40). My goodness what a film.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm still shocked The Apartment is in fifth place. It's a Best Picture winner and just an all-around admired classic.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following three titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Once Upon a Time in the West (61.90%)
    2. Village of the Damned (57.14%)
    3. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (52.38%)

The following two titles will face off in a tiebreaker for the last spot:
    1. The Apartment (38.10%)
    2. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (38.10%)

And the following title has been eliminated:
    1. Three Outlaw Samurai (28.57%)

+ Reply to Thread