Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead - Image Comic's neverending nightmare

Gunslinger Apprentice David is on a distinguished road David's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Walking Dead - Image Comic's neverending nightmare

So, you say you like zombie movies. You're new to comic books and someone tells you about a little story called The Walking Dead. That was pretty much me a little while back and i'm glad I got the suggestion at the comic book store.

The story surrounds a protagonist named Rick, who collects along the way a band of survivors of some cause-unknown zombie takeover. The story starts w/ Rick waking up from a coma after an undisclosed amount of time and from taking a gunshot to the chest. What he wakes up to, is a hospital that is abandoned, save for the undead that are roaming the halls.

The series is currently at issue 37, with 6 paperback collections of 6 issues each (at about 10 to 12 dollars a piece, it's an extremely affordable story to get into). Writer Robert Kirkman explains in an interview that he sees no end to the story, just twists and turns.

One important thing to note is that this is not primarily a horror comic. What Kirkman does is to essentially tell a sociological tale of human interaction under horrific circumstances. For anyone who is both a fan of Romero zombie flicks and Stephen King's The Stand, i'd highly recommend at least trying out the first collection in the series, Days Gone Bye.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh man, this sounds great David. If we had a comic book store nearby I am not sure I would be able to make my mortgage.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Will just mailed me something to do with these comics! They haven't arrived yet, but I can't wait to read them.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Oh man, this sounds great David. If we had a comic book store nearby I am not sure I would be able to make my mortgage.
    Yeah, there are quite a few that have caught my eye lately, but i'm doing my best to stick with this one until i've gotten caught up to the current individual issues.

I just finished the 2nd paperback of the series, Miles Behind Us, and i've gotta say, i'm so hooked. The characters have incredible depth given the medium. Also, this second book, the original artist is replaced with the current (and hopefully permanent) art team, and it is far more dark and menacing. Kirkman doesn't hold back by not letting all of the people you grow to care for have their 'happily ever after'. Extremely intense and as realistic as I can imagine this story being told.

Hannah, that's great! You're gonna love it.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I'm still pretty annoyed that I didn't go meet Robert Kirkman when he was here on campus. I've not read a lot of the comics, but I like whjat I have seen, and have heard a lot of good stuff. I need to grab some TPBs when I have money again.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm about halfway through the first volume , and I must say I'm pretty impressed. I love the balance between action and character development.

Country
    Country Flag

Are you reading the 6 issue paperback or the 12 issue hardcover?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The 12 issue hardcover.

Country
    Country Flag

Ahhh... Then you're right about at the scene that gave me nightmares for a couple of nights (regarding Rick's son trying to protect him).

I'm likely gonna get the hardcovers down the line when I can see it fitting into the budget a little better. They are lovely.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I hadn't heard much about these David and just your descriptions have me hooked. I think I'm going to go order some of these right now.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to buy book 2 with my next paycheck. I think the ending of the first book demands you to buy the next one

Gunslinger Apprentice Grillslinger is on a distinguished road Grillslinger's Avatar

I just finished book 6 and thought it was amazing! The bad part is that I don't have 1 - 5.

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

I've enjoyed the series so far. The thing about Kirkman is, sometimes the drama is so intense, I forget that I'm reading a zombie comic and I like that.

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to be giving this series a try. I've begun collecting the issues with #37, and I'm gonna catch up to that point with the collections of the first 36. I'm sure I'll be totally hooked on this series in short order.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    I've enjoyed the series so far. The thing about Kirkman is, sometimes the drama is so intense, I forget that I'm reading a zombie comic and I like that.
    That is exactly what Kirkman wants to hear. He's obviously a big Romero fan as Romero has said before that he simply uses zombies as an excuse to tell a story.

I'm just now starting the 3rd trade paperback (the first half of the second hardcover (issues 13-18 of the comic series) which has been impossible to find for weeks since it's currently out of print. If any of you are collecting the trades and you see issue 3, grab it. There is no ETA as to when they will resume printing.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Thanks to Will I just started with the first hardcover edition. I love it. I'm going to go to B&N tonight to see if I can get the next hc in the series.

Hint to those with small children: Do not leave it laying around where tiny eyes and tiny hands can reach it. My five year old read parts of it and after about ten minutes asked me, "Is everyone going to die, Mommy?" She then started to cry when I answered yes, and said, "But I don't want to die!"

Country
    Country Flag

Oh God, Hannah! That's awful!

My Mood
    Amused

Yeah, I thought so myself. Poor little thing. I gave her ice cream so she'd forget about death.

Country
    Country Flag

Did it work?

Oh, and i'm about done with #3 TPB "Saftey Behind Bars" and as you can imagine where the vol. 1 hardcover ended, it's a splaterfest!

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I started reading this today.

Spoiler:
    IN issue #6, when the little kid Carl shoots Shane to save his dad, then runs to his dad, hugs him and says "It's not the same killing the dead ones, daddy." and Rick says "It never should be son. It never should be," WOW. That was some powerful stuff.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, there are moments at least in the next two like that which beg the question, "What are normal people capable of if the s**t went down."

I have read up to issue #36 now. Simply amazing stuff. He also cracks me up in his letter column. I was totally unaware that Kirkamn was from Lexington, which is only about 20 minutes from where I live. I really want to get Invincible and Battle Pope now.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I tried to get the first one today at the local bookstore, but they only had the second hardcover set. I think I'll have to get them offline.

And Chris, he's from Lexington? Sweet! I guess that's why he did a signing at Eastern.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Yep. From what I can tell, he still lives there, too. He mentions local comic shops in his letter column and such. You will reallyy like the comics, Erin. It is very character driven, and just has some truely amazing and well written moments in it. I really wish I had already been reading it and would have went to the signing when he was at EKU.

Myy friend Nick used to rave about his comic Battle Pope all the time, but I never made the connection.

Country
    Country Flag

Just obtained vol 4!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast