So, you say you like zombie movies. You're new to comic books and someone tells you about a little story called The Walking Dead. That was pretty much me a little while back and i'm glad I got the suggestion at the comic book store.

The story surrounds a protagonist named Rick, who collects along the way a band of survivors of some cause-unknown zombie takeover. The story starts w/ Rick waking up from a coma after an undisclosed amount of time and from taking a gunshot to the chest. What he wakes up to, is a hospital that is abandoned, save for the undead that are roaming the halls.

The series is currently at issue 37, with 6 paperback collections of 6 issues each (at about 10 to 12 dollars a piece, it's an extremely affordable story to get into). Writer Robert Kirkman explains in an interview that he sees no end to the story, just twists and turns.

One important thing to note is that this is not primarily a horror comic. What Kirkman does is to essentially tell a sociological tale of human interaction under horrific circumstances. For anyone who is both a fan of Romero zombie flicks and Stephen King's The Stand, i'd highly recommend at least trying out the first collection in the series, Days Gone Bye.