Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1960s

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Kuroneko.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

The Dirty Dozen

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Marilyn Monroe's final film:

The Misfits (1961)
    John Huston

Watch trailer:

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Marilyn Monroe's final film:

The Misfits (1961)
    John Huston

Watch trailer:
    Clark Gable's too...

2ND

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I nominate Coogan's Bluff (1968)

Watch clip:

The first of the Don Siegel / Clint Eastwood film collaborations. Pretty good flick.

Elmer Gantry

Country
    Country Flag

Splendor in the Grass (1961)
    Elia Kazan

Watch trailer:

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    And I'm all tapped out on my list!
    Sorry to hear. I sill have at least 20 more, but I won't be available to add to the thread till tomorrow evening - going away overnight for my anniversary. Seeing King Lear with Christopher Lloyd playing Lear - should be great.

Here's some of what I have coming, just in case anyone wants to nominate them...is this ethical? Swiss Family Robinson, Khartoum, The Miracle Worker, The Incredible Mr. Limpet, Von Ryan's Express...
    Oh yeah, forgot about The Incredible Mr. Limpet, barely remember it, but know I loved it as a kid. I'll second it once you nominate, but don't feel comfortable nominating something I barely remember (although in retrospect, The Absent-minded professor fits in that catagory).

Anyway although it was cheesy as heck, I always got excited when I saw it listed in the TV guide and made sure I watched it when it came on:

Son of Godzilla

(I loved all the Godzilla movies as a kid, except Godzilla vs the Smog monster)
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Juliet of the Spirits

Country
    Country Flag

How about something completely different (and naughty)?

Bad Girls Go to Hell (1965)
    Doris Wishman

Watch trailer:

I gotta see that one!!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    How about something completely different (and naughty)?

Bad Girls Go to Hell (1965)
    Doris Wishman

Watch trailer:
    I've actually seen this. I'll second it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I gotta see that one!!
    It's streaming on the Criterion Channel. They have a free trial: https://www.criterionchannel.com/bad-girls-go-to-hell

By the way, if anyone wants to catch up on some of these foreign classics, I would definitely at least look into the free trial with CC, if not a subscription (which is way worth it).

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Anyway although it was cheesy as heck, I always got excited when I saw it listed in the TV guide and made sure I watched it when it came on:

Son of Godzilla

(I loved all the Godzilla movies as a kid, except Godzilla vs the Smog monster)
    It is beyond cheesy. I love Godzilla, but I can't. But if someone were to nominate, say, Destroy All Monsters...

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Gertrud.

I'll second Two Women

Country
    Country Flag

As long as we are going down this road...

I nominate Blood Feast (1963)

Watch clip:

This is a terrible movie. But a very important one. What makes the film so groundbreaking is that is truly was the first splatter/gore/dismemberment flick. This is THE FILM that spawned an entire genre. Someone had to break through into 1960s conservative America and director Herschell Gordon Lewis was just the man.

The DVD has one of the best commentary tracks I've ever listened to. HGL and producer David Friedman discuss the making and marketing of the film--how they shipped the movies out to drive-in theaters, how the word-of-mouth gave the movie legs, and how different communities tried to shut them down.

Shooting on a shoestring budget (less than $25,000), HGL's motto was "We don't want it good, we want it Thursday." No rehearsal scenes and no reshoots (waste of film). Actor doesn't show up for his part? No biggie, just yank a guy off the crew and have him write his lines on the palm of his hand. Problem solved. We also learn that Gary Sinise's father was an editor on the movie. Stuff like that. Seriously--this commentary is worth the 67 minutes of your time.

L'Avventura

Country
    Country Flag

When a Woman Ascends the Stairs (1960)
    Mikio Naruse

Watch trailer:

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I second the Dirty Dozen.

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Juliet of the Spirits.

Country
    Country Flag

Any noms, boss? I know you're still recovering, but if you think of something... I still have about 20-ish movies to nominate.

Country
    Country Flag

I have five left on my "first tier" list. 4 more Japanese; 1 HK

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    As long as we are going down this road...

I nominate Blood Feast (1963)

Watch clip:

This is a terrible movie. But a very important one. What makes the film so groundbreaking is that is truly was the first splatter/gore/dismemberment flick. This is THE FILM that spawned an entire genre. Someone had to break through into 1960s conservative America and director Herschell Gordon Lewis was just the man.

The DVD has one of the best commentary tracks I've ever listened to. HGL and producer David Friedman discuss the making and marketing of the film--how they shipped the movies out to drive-in theaters, how the word-of-mouth gave the movie legs, and how different communities tried to shut them down.

Shooting on a shoestring budget (less than $25,000), HGL's motto was "We don't want it good, we want it Thursday." No rehearsal scenes and no reshoots (waste of film). Actor doesn't show up for his part? No biggie, just yank a guy off the crew and have him write his lines on the palm of his hand. Problem solved. We also learn that Gary Sinise's father was an editor on the movie. Stuff like that. Seriously--this commentary is worth the 67 minutes of your time.
    2ND

Weird seconding this cause it is not a good movie but it is an important one.

The Guns of Navarone

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast