Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Fave Directors - Who do you love and why?

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    Critics give Scorcese crap-much of it justified-but you can't watch The Godfather or The Departed-granted, that one was essentially plagiarized wholesale from the popular Chinese original-and say he isn't at least somewhat talented.
    i can watch the godfather and say whatever i want about scorcese since coppola directed it. i get your point though, and if you sub goodfellas in there, all the better.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Pfft...

All of those Italians look alike.

What can I say?

I'm not much of a cineaste.

I love Goodfellas though. The one thing I didn't enjoy was how much the film underplayed the imbecility of Henry Hill, although the final line of the film clues in the audience a bit.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the whole movie is a play on his imbecility

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post
    ah i'm gonna agree with you on that one actually...
    especially *one* of the last endings of return of the king - frodo in bed with everybody else coming in one by one. terrible. ha.
    I love how he says everyones name but when Legolas walks in he says nothing as if 'who....are you, again, exactly?'
    ha! don't even get me started on legolas.
    especially orlando bloom playing him.
    every thing he says in all three movies = captain obvious
    ugh.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

lol

*Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli stare down 10,000 orcs.*
    Legolas: There are orcs.

I recently sat through Pirates 3 - At World's End for the second time. Bloom was horrible. HAve you by any chance seen Elizabethtown directed by Cameron Crowe? It's a good movie but Bloom plays a lead whom goes through many underlying issues and grows throughout the movie yet we just wouldn't see it if we weren't told. Shame Bloom had to take that movie down from something much better.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade
    In the name of all that is holy, how could I possibly forget to mention Sir Ridley Scott? Alien and Gladiator are two of the best movies ever.
    I've yet to see Blade Runner but I love Matchstick Men.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

*Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli discuss what to do to save Frodo*
    Aragorn: We can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's Eye fixed upon us.
    Legolas: A diversion.
    oh really? that's what that's called? man jesus...

And yeah, absolutely. Pirates is only good because of Johnny, imo. The third one did get a little long though, I went to the midnight premier and fell asleep a couple times.
    I haven't seen Elizabethtown for the very reason that Orlando was in it and it looked like a chicflic... I'm not a big fan. Shall I give it a try though?
    Also - Bladerunner. Brilliant film, one of my favorites.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post
    *Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli discuss what to do to save Frodo*
    Aragorn: We can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's Eye fixed upon us.
    Legolas: A diversion.
    oh really? that's what that's called? man jesus...
    That's the line I meant to remember about it lol

I haven't seen Elizabethtown for the very reason that Orlando was in it and it looked like a chicflic... I'm not a big fan. Shall I give it a try though?
    If you've seen any Cameron Crowe films 'Jerry McGuire, Almost Famous, Vanilla Sky' there is the prevailant story story aspect to it. But, like the previous movies it's pretty well done. The supporting cast was all good, Bloom is the only ink in the water. But the rest of the movie is well worth a watch. Me and my friend say it all the time 'why did Elizabethtown have Bloom in it? WHY CAMERON WHY!?' it could have had ANYONE else in it, besides Vin Diesel, Brendan Fraser and a few of that ilk. Keanu would've been better.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I think the whole movie is a play on his imbecility
    To a certain degree, but they still had to trim their sails in order to obtain his cooperation with the script. You only get a taste of what a complete stunad this guy is, and how that led him to make the series of decisions that completely destroyed his life.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Peter Jackson...I love him for what he did with The Lord of the Rings. I don't know what else he's done. I don't care. This was plenty.

Tim Burton...I love just about every movie he's done

John Carpenter...I like the feel of his movies and The Thing is one of my favorite sci fi flicks

Quentin Tarantino...his flicks just blow me away...Dusk til Dawn might just be my favorite vampire movie of all time.

Russell Mulcahy...just for directing Highlander.

John McTiernan...just for directing Die Hard

Ridley Scott...Alien, Bladerunner, etc

Clint Eastwood...every movie this guy has directed was a solid flick...most of them outfuckingstanding.

And why the hell does everyone hate Orlando Bloom? He's not a bad actor...as good as most if you ask me. And the scripts he delivers are not his fault. Don't hate the guy because he's pretty!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    Clint Eastwood...every movie this guy has directed was a solid flick...most of them outfuckingstanding.
    My favourite director. His style is so basic and elementary but that is what makes it so good. Mystic River is in my top five favourite movies. I was blown away when I first seen it. Fucking Return of the King just had to take best picture and Jackson stole the directing away which he didn't deserve next to Clint. Hadn't see an oscar travesty so bad since Shakesphere In Love beat Saving Private Ryan.

And why the hell does everyone hate Orlando Bloom? He's not a bad actor...as good as most if you ask me. And the scripts he delivers are not his fault. Don't hate the guy because he's pretty!
    Because he has two expressions; perplexed and intense eyes, perplexed face. Seeing Bloom star in a quality movie like Elizabethtown and know he dragged it down where as a heath ledger or even Hayden Christensen would've suited ore. Bloom can play actiony, heart throb roll as much as he wants but when he starts rolling into movies by my favourite directors with his mediocracy and monotoned acting I get sad.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

don't even get me started on Christensen, Mattrick... yuk!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I just said this in another thread but watch Life as a House and Shattered Glass to see his talents

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

His biggest talent is fucking up everything he appears in.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Quentin Tarantino...his flicks just blow me away...Dusk til Dawn might just be my favorite vampire movie of all time.
    me too dude, me too, though i believe QT only wrote and produced it and "acted" in it, while Robert Rodriguez directed it. that said it is still a great vamp movie. not only is it worth it for salma hayek alone, it has great humor, and action rodriguez style and an awesome soundtrack [which you knew Tarantino had a hand in picking].

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I just said this in another thread but watch Life as a House and Shattered Glass to see his talents
    Great film. Haven't heard of Shattered Glass though, what is it about?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    me too dude, me too, though i believe QT only wrote and produced it and "acted" in it, while Robert Rodriguez directed it. that said it is still a great vamp movie. not only is it worth it for salma hayek alone, it has great humor, and action rodriguez style and an awesome soundtrack [which you knew Tarantino had a hand in picking].
    Ah...didn't know that. But I have to wonder how much input he had in the direction. I mean he was big at this point. Its his screenplay. He produced it. He's also constantly on the set because he's in it. The movie has a lot of that Tarantino feel to it.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Great film. Haven't heard of Shattered Glass though, what is it about?
    It's based on the true story of Stephen Glass, a politcal journalist for a washington politcal paper who learned how to fabricate news stories without the fact checkers finding the fallacies and was much loved for his journalistic abilities for years until it all caught up with him. It's a very good movie.

I love From Dusk Till Dawn but I almost wish it didn't turn into a vampire movie halfway through. You have a whole plotline going with no mention or foreshadowing of vampires. You could seriously tell someone the movie is about two outlaws getting into mexico to out run authorities and they would be shocked when Salma Hayek transforms.

I still think Tarantino's best screeplays were written with Roger Avery so I don't think Tarantino can take all the credit for his earlier works. Kill Bill is his only movie since Pulp Fiction that was great. IMO, Tarantino needs to revitalize himself. He's considered this amazing talent for what, a couple good movies? Of course Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs wouldn't have been as good if not for their amazing casts.

I hated Death Proof, it was a wretched movie. He says 'it was a homage picture' but seemed to purposely make a bad movie just because the old ones were bad.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade
    His biggest talent is fucking up everything he appears in.
    Again, basing ones acting talents on seeing him in action movies isn't a good way to show someones talents. If you've seen the two movies I listed then badmouth him all you want. Unlike an Orlando Bloom or a Vin Diesel or a Keanu Reeves he's not helpless without explosions.

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Ah...didn't know that. But I have to wonder how much input he had in the direction. I mean he was big at this point. Its his screenplay. He produced it. He's also constantly on the set because he's in it. The movie has a lot of that Tarantino feel to it.
    a lot i am sure. with the dvd is a great making of documentary. it was rodriguez' film but QT had a MAJOR hand in it.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quentin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez for the raw power that their movies emit (mainly Reservoir Dogs and Desperado, respectively). . Martin Scorsese for his ability to recreate real life events into enjoyable and unforgetable films. Tim Burton for dazzling us with just about every movie he makes. The list goes on and on...

oh yes, exactly. I feel the same way. I edited out Kubrick because I personally haven't liked any movie he's done with the exception of The Shining.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Everyone Feev said...plus Oliver Stone, Frank Darabont, others I can't think of right now.
    seriously, Frank Darabont is freaking amazing. I just watched The Shawshank Redemption the other day and I'm still so impressed. I personally and not a fan of Oliver Stone.

I also want to add Clint Eastwood as a director. Amazing every time around, imo

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    Quentin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez for the raw power that their movies emit (mainly Reservoir Dogs and Desperado, respectively). . Martin Scorsese for his ability to recreate real life events into enjoyable and unforgetable films. Tim Burton for dazzling us with just about every movie he makes. The list goes on and on...
    oh yes, exactly. I feel the same way. I edited out Kubrick because I personally haven't liked any movie he's done with the exception of The Shining.
    You left out James Cameron? T2?

Oh yeah, and that whole Stanley Kubrick thing will definitely have to be addressed once we meet face to face

Also, as far as I know , Rodriguez writes the music for the majority of his movies. There's a special feature in Once Upon A Time In Mexico where he gives a quick tour through his studio-home, and he plays guitar while the scene with eyeless Depp plays in the backround. His band is also the one that performed the Malageņa song at the end of Kill Bill Vol. 2.

Also, as far as I know , Rodriguez writes the music for the majority of his movies. There's a special feature in Once Upon A Time In Mexico where he gives a quick tour through his studio-home, and he plays guitar while the scene with eyeless Depp plays in the backround. His band is also the one that performed the Malageņa song at the end of Kill Bill Vol. 2.
    that is true, though not the case with Dusk Til Dawn. The soundtrack features a wide array of artists, none of who are Rodrgiuez. In the making of documentary you can see though that he always had an acoustic guitar with him throughout the whole shoot. I also saw the Once Upon a Time in Mexico dvd spec feat on his home studio which is sweet, and he is a pretty good player as well.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes he can, he's pretty fucking talented. He can direct, edit, produce, and score a film! He's also a kickass cook!

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    You left out James Cameron? T2?

Oh yeah, and that whole Stanley Kubrick thing will definitely have to be addressed once we meet face to face

oh snap! How could I forget that?

also, I'm feelin the love of your Eazy-E av/sig combo. Everytime I see it I start singing

This is a stick-up, everybody get face-down
    Ren, gag their mouths so they can't make a sound
    Tie em up for the fact that I'm kickin ass
    I got my hand on my gat, and I'm tempted to blast
    My name is Eazy, but I go the hard way out

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Is there no limit to your awesomeness?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast