Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Fave Directors - Who do you love and why?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Path, Jean proved my point. He agreed that there is some American cinema that he just doesn't "get".

I can admit that there are some foreign films that are considered great cinema that I just don't really "get". I feel that being raised in a certain environment could be a direct reason why some films work and some films don't work for people.

If a person is not from the country where the film is made/takes place, it's entirely possible that something might get lost in translation. I don't really see why that is completely impossible.
    Oops… all of a sudden, just as Mike predicted, I am a foreigner who just doesn’t understand. [Edited later: Sorry. Typical overreacting from my part. Stupid and unfair. I leave it as I posted it originally, though, for the sake of coherence, because it seems I still managed to make some valid points below.]

Seriously, guys, if it takes to be an American to understand that Jaws, Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings or Terminator (even though I rather like that last) have the same artistic value as Le Notti di Cabiria, Repulsion, Rebecca, or The Seven Samurai, I think I’m better off without the honor.

All of my long life I’ve been watching movies and loving them without discriminating between French, Italian, American, Russian, Soviet, Polish, Hungarian, German, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, and English cinema. I do, however, discriminate between films that touch my soul, on any level, and those that don’t. I have great respect for a lot American movies, just like I have great contempt for a lot of European (East or West) and Asian ones. It’s not where a movie has been made, it’s how it was done.

There are, actually, two aspects of the problem that I can see at the moment.

1. Movies as entertainment. I treat them with great respect. As I said in my post elsewhere, no moment of happiness is ever wasted, so I treasure all cinematic products that can give me those moments. I immensely enjoyed Sister Act or Mixed Nuts (to name just two that for some reason leapt to my mind immediately; but the list could be indefinitely long), but I wouldn’t call them great cinematic achievements, or nominate their directors for our tournament. It’s a different kind of enjoyment.

2. Films as art. Here we really encounter a problem. As I said before, I like a lot of American directors who offer what I believe is called “director’s cinema”, love many of them, and absolutely adore some. I already listed Lynch, Kubrik, Allen, late Hitchcock, Koster, Capra, Lumet, Cukor… the list may be longer. I would also add the regretfully forgotten Mel Gibson, whose Braveheart and Apocalypto I count among the best movies of all times.

Unfortunately, however, many American movies that are widely acclaimed mean nothing to me. I’ll try to explain it now. I want a movie to transcend my spiritual and cultural experience, to give me as much as I can take: I, a fully grown person in full command of all my intellectual capacities, with a considerable experience in both life and cinema. I want the director of a “serious” (for lack of a better word) movie to treat me with respect, as a grown-up. The movies like those everyone reproaches me of not understanding, though, all look to me either adolescent or pre-adolescent. I fully understand their importance in culture, as instruction for kids; but I am no longer one.

I can sometimes watch a film about the hero overcoming obstacles, slaying the dragon and winning the princess, but I am not very impressed, even if the product is additionally burdened with topical issues, social, political, psychological, or ecological, to give the movie more weight and make it pose as the real stuff. The seams are too visible, and the whole product too obviously fabricated (Shutter Island, anyone?).

And guys… please, no offence, ok? I love and respect you more than I can say, and people who’ve known me for a long time here can testify that it is the truth… but since we’re talking frankly here, there’s one thing I can’t help saying. I firmly believe that the existing reservations about European movies doesn’t stem from any “foreignness” of their culture, but solely from the lack of experience. It is very understandable, given the cultural policy of the United States, within whose limits the rest of the world is only granted some dim, dubious appearance of existence. I noticed at a lot of American film sites that there are “films” (of various genres), all American; and there are “foreign [language] films”, as if it constituted a genre in it itself. First time I saw it I thought it was a joke. No, it wasn’t. When I think of a lot of wonderful, fantastic movies that my friends here have never seen and are not likely to see in the future, it breaks my old heart.

Meantime, if nobody objects, I will go on watching weird, boring movies about a lost garrison endlessly waiting for attacks from undefined enemies; a miserable man losing his mind in the inferno of tenement; another miserable man slowly drinking beer in the armchair, on an impossible quest for his ideal, pure, promiscuous, saintly, whoring wife; a blind prince who plays the flute on the wall; a man who can no longer dream and steals kids to use their dreams; boys in a forgotten orphanage in the middle of a civil war... (just some that came to mind at random… does anybody see anything familiar? I've only listed some I hope someone has seen, but there are oh so many more others......... if you liked any of these, friends, just think of what a world of delight lies ahead of most, or at least some, of you...)

Also, thanks to all my friends here who, too, like this kind of cinema.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean, that was really insightful, and I agree with everything except your opinion of Shutter Island. That's really the way I've always looked at movies; entertainment and art. Brett Ratner movies are an entirely different animal from films made by Paul Thomas Anderson.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you Seymour - it's normal, I think, that our opinions differ; whether it is Shutter Island or Charme discret de la bourgeoisie or Wrong Turn 446 Strikes Back - there must be the difference in opinions, because we are all alive and thinking, provided we can hear each other, coherently explain our positions and argument our points of view.

Still Servant: I have to apologize. I didn't mean to make it sound like you insulted me or something. I know now what you mean, and that is that, basically (correct me if I'm wrong), different people see different things in the same movies, because what they see is to a great extent depending on their experience; and growing in this or that country is definitely big part of experience.

I couldn't agree more.

I do hope this misunderstanding is resolved, and I apologize again. I want to hear your further thoughts, as I am sure everybody does.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Thank you Seymour - it's normal, I think, that our opinions differ; whether it is Shutter Island or Charme discret de la bourgeoisie or Wrong Turn 446 Strikes Back - there must be the difference in opinions, because we are all alive and thinking, provided we can hear each other, coherently explain our positions and argument our points of view.

Still Servant: I have to apologize. I didn't mean to make it sound like you insulted me or something. I know now what you mean, and that is that, basically (correct me if I'm wrong), different people see different things in the same movies, because what they see is to a great extent depending on their experience; and growing in this or that country is definitely big part of experience.

I couldn't agree more.

I do hope this misunderstanding is resolved, and I apologize again. I want to hear your further thoughts, as I am sure everybody does.

Jean, I apologize too. As you know, my intent was never to insult. I may have been able convey my point more clearly.

It's no problem. Crisis averted.

I hope I haven't jeopardized my relationship with anybody here. That's the last thing I wanted.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    ...my personality is just fine. Can you honestly say the same about yours?
    I wouldn't be satisfied to say that. I want to be more than fine.
    ... Seriously, guys, if it takes to be an American to understand that Jaws, Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings or Terminator (even though I rather like that last) have the same artistic value as Le Notti di Cabiria, Repulsion, Rebecca, or The Seven Samurai, I think I’m better off without the honor. ...
    I concur. Call me Un-American if you like, but I'm bothered by what I see as cultural decline.
    ... different people see different things in the same movies, because what they see is to a great extent depending on their experience; and growing in this or that country is definitely big part of experience.

I couldn't agree more. ...
    Well, I guess I'm glad you guys are in agreement, though I can't say that I really get it, myself. I mean, yes, of course different people see different things in the same movies, but so what? Why bring it up? If you're just resolving to let each impression lie where it may happen to be, that strikes me as just kind of defeatist. I dunno... maybe something to discuss on another thread?
    ... I want to hear your further thoughts, as I am sure everybody does. ...
    Oh, for sure. I hope that that was never in doubt.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Well, I guess I'm glad you guys are in agreement, though I can't say that I really get it, myself. I mean, yes, of course different people see different things in the same movies, but so what? Why bring it up? If you're just resolving to let each impression lie where it may happen to be, that strikes me as just kind of defeatist. I dunno... maybe something to discuss on another thread?
    For no other reason than to indicate that we are not entirely deaf to each other. I understand it is a ground for further discussion, not for a mutual shutup.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The 50 best directors

I figured I'd do this while the polls were still running. A brief conversation with a bear gave me the idea. So list who YOU think/feel the 50 best are.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Oh gosh, you want a list of our top 50?!?

Be still my heart ... I love a group of people who can actually name 50 directors !!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Great idea, Brice !

Give me some time to sort my list, hopefully I can have it before the end of the week.

My Mood
    Gay

Working on my list now.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

And just to be a total bastard....list them in order, please.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

I hope to post tomorrow morning

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I hope you do too.

If you rescue me

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    And just to be a total bastard....list them in order, please.
    I thought that went without saying

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, now it doesn't.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

1. Roman Polanski
    2. Akira Kurosawa
    3. Alfred Hitchcock
    4. Кира Муратова [Kira Muratova]
    5. Frank Capra
    6. Claude Lelouch
    7. Luchino Visconti
    8. Joseph Losey
    9. Георгий Данелия [Georguy Danelia]
    10. Никита Михалков [Nikita Mikhalkov]
    11. Алексей Балабанов [Alexei Balabanov]
    12. Александр Митта [Alexandr Mitta]
    13. Damiano Damiani
    14. Valerio Zurlini
    15. Jean-Pierre Jeunet
    16. Orson Welles
    17. René Clément
    18. Ettore Scola
    19. François Truffault
    20. Kenji Mizoguchi
    21. Guillermo Del Toro
    22. Mel Gibson
    23. George Cukor
    24. Rainer Werner Fassbinder
    25. István Szabó
    26. Miloš Forman
    27. Bertrand Blier
    28. Henry Koster
    29. José Giovanni
    30. Marcel Carné
    31. Тенгиз Абуладзе [Tengiz Abuladze]
    32. Илья Авербах [Ilya Averbakh]
    33. Алексей Герман [Aleksei German]
    34. René Clair
    35. Francis Veber
    36. David Lean
    37. Luis Buñuel
    38. Claude Chabrol
    39. Stanley Kubrick
    40. Carol Reed
    41. William Wyler
    42. Григорий Козинцев [Grigori Kozintsev]
    43. Михаил Ромм [Mikhail Romm]
    44. Карен Шахназаров [Karen Shakhnazarov]
    45. David Lynch
    46. Ролан Быков [Rolan Bykov]
    47. Woody Allen
    48. Federico Fellini
    49. Ingmar Bergman
    50. Terry Jones

My Mood
    Gay

Wow, Jean. Wow.

Um, just a quick question - Mel Gibson? Really?

Country
    Country Flag

I am absolutely in love with both Braveheart and Apocalypto. I think they reveal a big, mature, Kurosawa-like director.

My Mood
    Gay

I'm, stunned actually.

I respect your opinion, but honestly I disagree.

My biggest peev - Braveheart isn't even close to historically accurate, and I found it to be so over-acted that it distracted from the historical inaccuracy!

ETA: I'm having a hard time putting my 50 in any kind of order. Even the top 10, in order, is hard for me.

Country
    Country Flag

yeah, as I said, Kurosawa-like

My Mood
    Gay

I love you, bear!

Country
    Country Flag

the feeling is mutual

My Mood
    Gay

Okay, here's my 50 ( I think it's 50 ) .... only the top three are in order. The others, I just don't have the kind of time. I put a note of some of their better movies, just to ring a bell incase the names weren't familiar. - Of course, you all know me, this list could change any minute!!

1. Steven Spielberg
    2. Martin Scorsese
    3. Francis Ford Coppola

Darren Aronofsky ( Pi )
    David Lynch
    Gus Van Sant ( Milk, My Own Private Idaho, Good Will Hunting )
    Alan J Pakula ( Klute, Comes a Horseman )
    Herbert Ross ( Footloose, The Goodbye Girl, Steel Magnolias )
    Victor Flemming
    Kathryn Bigelow ( Near Dark, Hurt Locker )
    Cameron Crowe ( Almost Famous )
    John Cassavettes
    Luc Besson ( the Big Blue )
    William Wyler
    George Cukor ( The Philadelphia Story )
    Jane Campion
    Alfred Hitchcock
    Sean Penn ( Into The Wild is a 10/10 for me )
    Louis Malle ( Atlantic City )
    Catherine Hardwicke ( Thirteen, Lords of Dogtown - I am forgiving her Twilight )
    Robert Redford ( A River Runs Through It, Ordinary People )
    Mike Nichols ( Silkwood, Postcards From The Edge )
    Frank Capra
    Stanley Kubrick
    Orson Welles
    Kimberly Peirce ( Boys Don't Cry )
    Roman Polanski ( Chinatown )
    Ingmar Bergman
    Federico Fellini
    Ridley Scott ( Thelma and Louise )
    John Huston
    Sydney Pollack ( Tootsie )
    Hal Ashby ( Coming Home )
    James L Brooks ( Broadcast News / As Good As It Gets )
    Chris Columbus ( Adventures In Babysitting / Rent )
    John Hughes ( The Breakfast Club )
    Penny Marshall ( League Of Their Own, Big )
    Woody Allen ( Annie Hall )
    Quintin Tarantino ( Pulp Fiction )
    Bryan Singer ( X-Men2, Apt Pupil )
    Robert Altman ( Nashville )
    Busby Berkeley
    Gene Kelly ( Singin In The Rain )
    Jonathan Demme ( Something Wild, Silence of the Lambs )
    John Ford
    David Lean ( Bridge on the River Kwai )
    George Lucas ( Star Wars, American Graffiti )

and John McTiernan ( because The Hunt For Red October is one of my all time favorite movies )

( note - I didn't include any documentary filmmaker ... that's a whole other world for me )

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

22. Mel Gibson
    Hear, hear.
    50. Terry Jones
    So where is Terry Gilliam?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Pam - do you think Spielberg is the best director ? Or is he your favorite director ? Or both ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast