Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fave Directors - Who do you love and why?

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Default Fave Directors - Who do you love and why?

So... this is a thread to discuss directors. Who are your faves and why?
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I like Mick Garris for some of the works that he has done by sai King.

Mainly The Stand
    Last edited by Storyslinger; 03-11-2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Deep thinking

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I just watched Heat again yesterday for like the billionth time and I realize how much I like Michael Mann. The mood he creates... I just love it.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quentin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez for the raw power that their movies emit (mainly Reservoir Dogs and Desperado, respectively). Stanley Kubrick for his habit of making films into brilliant tour de forces' of images, and the way he embeds social commentary and satire. James Cameron for his vision and attention to detail. Martin Scorsese for his ability to recreate real life events into enjoyable and unforgetable films. Tim Burton for dazzling us with just about every movie he makes. The list goes on and on...

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I like Burton to and also John Carpenter

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Everyone Feev said...plus Oliver Stone, Frank Darabont, others I can't think of right now.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quentin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez for the raw power that their movies emit (mainly Reservoir Dogs and Desperado, respectively). Stanley Kubrick for his habit of making films into brilliant tour de forces' of images, and the way he embeds social commentary and satire. James Cameron for his vision and attention to detail. Martin Scorsese for his ability to recreate real life events into enjoyable and unforgetable films. Tim Burton for dazzling us with just about every movie he makes. The list goes on and on...
    all of the above are excellent choices Fev!
    i'd also add Richard Linklater for showing that good "story" doesn't have to be formulaic and my hero, Terry Gilliam for, well for Brazil alone he ranks as my fav director ever, but for his ability to create realistic nightmares and dream worlds and making every shot stunning to look at.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I'm a big fan of Zwick. I think his landscapes are amazing and he provides a good combination of action sequences and thought provoking social commentary (Last Samurai and Blood Diamond).

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quentin Tarantino & Luc Besson

Roland would have understood.

Luc Besson is great Letti. good choice!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. I do love most of his films.

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Thanks. I do love most of his films.
    i do too, except i didn't really care for "The Messenger" very much. i like the joan d'arc story, but didn't like this film so much. Now, Leon [aka "The Professional"] that is a GREAT movie

Country
    Country Flag

I watched Leon 10 times or much more as a kid.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quentin Tarentino, I just love the way he tells a story. He'll jump around, but in the end it all makes complete sense. I love his camera work and editing most of all. He really knows how to set up a great shot.

Tim Burton, all of his films are just so beautiful. They have a dreamlike quality to them that I love.

I'll go see any film either of them put out without hesitation, and even if I'm not too fond of the story, I know there'll be other things about the film that I'll enjoy.

Oh, and Hitchcock of course, we can't forget about him.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Clint Eastwood (I can't believe none of you have mentioned him)

Ridley Scott

Cameron Crowe

Roman Polanski

Steven Spielberg

Christopher Nolan

Quentin Tarantino

Martin Scorscese

James Cameron

Tim Burton

M. Night Shyamalan

I feel like I'm missing somebody....
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

michel gondry for eternal sunshine of the spotless mind - brilliant movie and one of my favorites.
    and of course,
    peter jackson...
    yeah, i'm a lord of the rings nerd as well

Country
    Country Flag

Anyway Quentin Tarentino is incredibly good at choosing the right acters.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post
    peter jackson...
    yeah, i'm a lord of the rings nerd as well
    I was hoping he wouldn't be named. While his movies may be good, imo, some of his techniques, especially the overuse of slow motion, get to me sometimes.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

ah i'm gonna agree with you on that one actually...
    especially *one* of the last endings of return of the king - frodo in bed with everybody else coming in one by one. terrible. ha.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

David Lynch
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Anyway Quentin Tarentino is incrdibly good at choosing the right acters.
    Yes he is, as well as choosing music. He always has the perfect song playing at right moment.

And Brice, I can't believe I forgot about David Lynch. He is great as well.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post
    ah i'm gonna agree with you on that one actually...
    especially *one* of the last endings of return of the king - frodo in bed with everybody else coming in one by one. terrible. ha.
    I love how he says everyones name but when Legolas walks in he says nothing as if 'who....are you, again, exactly?'

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

In the name of all that is holy, how could I possibly forget to mention Sir Ridley Scott? Alien and Gladiator are two of the best movies ever.

(hangs head in shame)

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    In the name of all that is holy, how could I possibly forget to mention Sir Ridley Scott? Alien and Gladiator are two of the best movies ever.

(hangs head in shame)
    Hear, Hear!

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Critics give Scorcese crap-much of it justified-but you can't watch The Godfather or The Departed-granted, that one was essentially plagiarized wholesale from the popular Chinese original-and say he isn't at least somewhat talented.

I'm not going to delve into the minutiae of why I like each of these directors, but I'll give a more detailed explanation if asked,

-Jafar Panahi
    -Tim Burton
    -Pedro Almodóvar
    -The Hughes brothers
    -Christopher Nolan
    -Ang Lee
    -Chen Kaige
    -Stanley Kubrick
    -Federico Fellini
    -Ingmar Bergman
    -Akira Kurosawa
    -Nicolas Winding Refn