Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Thread: Fave Directors - Who do you love and why?

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For the very best of existential arthouse, you cannot beat films of the French New Wave, particularly those made by Jacques Rivette. I highly recommend the following:

La Belle Noiseuse (1991).

Jacques Rivette's award winning masterpiece is an adaptation of Honoré de Balzac's Le Chef d'oeuvre inconnu, and can be read in part as an apologia for the narrative cautiousness that his work has shown, since the dangerous experimentation of the equally stunning and magnificent L'Amour Fou in 1968.

Brutal. Yet paradoxically, not brutal at all.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    I'm sure he has been brought up before but Scott Cooper is 4 for 4 on his films right now with Antler coming soon.

Crazy Heart
    Out of the Furnace
    Black Mass
    Hostiles

Pretty good start!

seeking: anything DT related #246
    Totally agree! I've been talking about how Cooper doesn't get enough attention for a while. You just never hear his name.

I love the "art movie" and a good ol' slow burn but definitely a certain beauty in the "genre" director. A few I love and a couple of their less obvious films:

Walter Hill - Crossroads, Johnny Handsome
    John Carpenter- Star Man, Christine
    Wes Craven- Red Eye, People Under the Stairs
    Clint Eastwood- High Plains Drifter, Bird
    Sam Peckinpah- Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, Pat Garret and Billy the Kid
    It's funny you should mention Bird, I just picked that one up on Laserdisc.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'm sure he has been brought up before but Scott Cooper is 4 for 4 on his films right now with Antler coming soon.

Crazy Heart
    Out of the Furnace
    Black Mass
    Hostiles

Pretty good start!

Totally agree! I've been talking about how Cooper doesn't get enough attention for a while. You just never hear his name.

I love the "art movie" and a good ol' slow burn but definitely a certain beauty in the "genre" director. A few I love and a couple of their less obvious films:

Sam Peckinpah- Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, Pat Garret and Billy the Kid
    Laser Disc! Nice. I had a BIG collection of those bad boys when you had to explain to people what those big black lines on the top and bottom of the screen are. Bird is a very dark movie! Well done.

Regarding Cooper and all these other directors that are a few movies into their promising careers: great start!
    Now they just need to put together 20 or so more quality movies and/or a couple decades of consistant work and they can be mentioned in the same convo as the veterans. Just like a band with a couple good albums: it's a good start but that's it.

Oh. . . Another filmmaker to watch- Taylor Sheridan!

ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't like Hostiles at all. Great opening. Great ending. Everything in between didn't work, except Ben Foster.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Crazy Heart
    Out of the Furnace
    Black Mass
    Hostiles

Pretty good start!

Laser Disc! Nice. I had a BIG collection of those bad boys when you had to explain to people what those big black lines on the top and bottom of the screen are. Bird is a very dark movie! Well done.

Regarding Cooper and all these other directors that are a few movies into their promising careers: great start!
    Now they just need to put together 20 or so more quality movies and/or a couple decades of consistant work and they can be mentioned in the same convo as the veterans. Just like a band with a couple good albums: it's a good start but that's it.

Laserdisc is my newest obsession. It's way cheaper for me to find a film like Bird on LD than it is for most other formats.

Sheridan is one to watch for sure. I loved Wind River. He's on the list I compiled.

You're right about making 20 solid films from here on out. That's the hard part. There are so few directors that can pull that off.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Crazy Heart
    Out of the Furnace
    Black Mass
    Hostiles

Pretty good start!

Laserdisc is my newest obsession. It's way cheaper for me to find a film like Bird on LD than it is for most other formats.

Sheridan is one to watch for sure. I loved Wind River. He's on the list I compiled.

You're right about making 20 solid films from here on out. That's the hard part. There are so few directors that can pull that off.
    Yeah. Or time + quality of course. Someone like Tarantino, Fincher or Kubrick sure in hell do not need 20 in the can to earn their place.

Furthermore, You are seeing Bird in the best possible presentation you can. Not even available on Blu Ray.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Furthermore, You are seeing Bird in the best possible presentation you can. Not even available on Blu Ray.

Really? I didn't realize that. That's another reason why the format is still valid to me. Some films haven't been released on DVD or Blu-ray yet. Did you sell your collection?

Country
    Country Flag

Sold them 20+ years ago

Couple hundred movies
    Plus a Sony LD player

$40 at my garage sale. Ha!

ANYTHING DT Related #246

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sold them 20+ years ago

Couple hundred movies
    Plus a Sony LD player

Some lucky guy got a great deal! Collecting them has become popular in recent years even since I started collecting.

Country
    Country Flag

Sold them 20+ years ago

Couple hundred movies
    Plus a Sony LD player

Some lucky guy got a great deal! Collecting them has become popular in recent years even since I started collecting.
    Yeah. Ha. I had a bunch of the $100 ones too. Robocop, Aliens, Star Wars Trilogy, Godfather set, ect.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Country
    Country Flag

Another director that has seemed to create a cinematic signature in very few films is Sean Penn.

Into the Wild and The Crossing Guard are phenomenal!

His first film The Indian Runner is based on the song Highay Patrolman by Springsteen. Very good. Wonder what other movies are based on a song (story-wise not just the title)?

ANYTHING DT Related #246

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Thin Red Line is amazing, but Bears should start with Tree of Life. It's basically dedicated to bears.
    if everything goes well will watch both withing the next couple of days
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Also did bears yet see these?

A Ghost Story - No
    Leave No Trace - No
    Uncle John - No
    Her - Yes
    The Lighthouse - No
    The Witch - Yes
    Hereditary - Yes
    The Clovehitch Killer - No
    Maudie - No

All highly recommended for Bears
    The "No"s may mean that the film has been sitting on my list for years. Although there are some I've never heard of.
    (bears follow your recommendations whenever possible, and never regret it!)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Can I ask for your Lanthimos power rankings?

Mine is

1. Dogtooth
    2. The Killing of A Sacred Deer
    3. The Favourite
    4. The Lobster
    I've only seen Dogtooth and The Killing. I can't choose between them. If I had to, then probably the latter. No. Shit. Don't know.
    I love Lanthimos, AKA Haneke Jr.
    Lanthimos is so much more entertaining than Haneke. (and, in my opinion, deeper, more multi-faceted. Probably exactly because of being more entertaining, which opens a multitude of new dimensions)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

More entertaining? Hmmm, maybe. I happen to be enthralled with almost every single one of Haneke's films. I love Lanthimos, but he still needs to produce a larger body of work to be evenly compared to Haneke.

While his films contain elements of uncomfortableness (is that a word? fuck it), he hasn't made anything nearly as uncompromising as a Funny Games or The Piano Teacher.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This is probably the best thread to post this in because we have been discussing Lanthimos, but I have a digital code for The Favourite. Whomever PMs me first gets it!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    More entertaining? Hmmm, maybe. I happen to be enthralled with almost every single one of Haneke's films.
    I am totally in love with Benny's Video and (to lesser extent) Das weiße Band. Not to say that I don't enjoy the others, but they always feel like something that bears long to have isn't there. Got to think how to define this something.

couldn't the two big Maliks suggested here yet, but have watched Days of Heaven, loved it immensely, reviewed here: https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver...=1#post1198773

Country
    Country Flag

feverish: (continued from the previous post))) - approximately as follows

when I watch a film of any of my Big favorites (starting with Polanski and Kurosawa), my inner dialog with the movie goes approximately like this:
    (A) Wha?... Easy, man, wtf?... Oh no. You can't do that. You fucking cant do that to me.... Eh? Well, did you have to do it now?... NOT THIS!! where did THIS come from?!... oh... I see; I wish I didn't... Well, I never! I can't believe it! I can't fucking believe it!... and now that, too?! How can it all ever be happening to me?...
    (among the recently watched films, this refers also to Parasites, Days of Heaven, Elle, the two Lanthimos I've seen, or, among Haneke films, Benny's Video; many others, of course, too)

while with Haneke it's usually this way:
    (B) Great, awesome, man, damn, you did it, my life for you... Yes, thank you, I got the point. I said it was great. Yes. Awesome. Yes. Profound and all that. Yes, I got it. Thank you, I already got it. No need to drive the point in. Thank you very much, I got the fucking point.

another sad story is when a movie starts (A) and goes so as long as first three quarters, only to slip into (B), which happened, for example, to mama! - which is otherwise totally great

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22