Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fave Directors - Who do you love and why?

Hybrid View

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Default Fave Directors - Who do you love and why?

So... this is a thread to discuss directors. Who are your faves and why?
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I like Mick Garris for some of the works that he has done by sai King.

Mainly The Stand
    Last edited by Storyslinger; 03-11-2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Deep thinking

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I just watched Heat again yesterday for like the billionth time and I realize how much I like Michael Mann. The mood he creates... I just love it.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quentin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez for the raw power that their movies emit (mainly Reservoir Dogs and Desperado, respectively). Stanley Kubrick for his habit of making films into brilliant tour de forces' of images, and the way he embeds social commentary and satire. James Cameron for his vision and attention to detail. Martin Scorsese for his ability to recreate real life events into enjoyable and unforgetable films. Tim Burton for dazzling us with just about every movie he makes. The list goes on and on...

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quentin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez for the raw power that their movies emit (mainly Reservoir Dogs and Desperado, respectively). Stanley Kubrick for his habit of making films into brilliant tour de forces' of images, and the way he embeds social commentary and satire. James Cameron for his vision and attention to detail. Martin Scorsese for his ability to recreate real life events into enjoyable and unforgetable films. Tim Burton for dazzling us with just about every movie he makes. The list goes on and on...
    all of the above are excellent choices Fev!
    i'd also add Richard Linklater for showing that good "story" doesn't have to be formulaic and my hero, Terry Gilliam for, well for Brazil alone he ranks as my fav director ever, but for his ability to create realistic nightmares and dream worlds and making every shot stunning to look at.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

How can I follow that? David Lean.

Woody Allen, at times. Mostly, it is his writing that I admire.
    I’m really more of a biliophile than film buff; all about story, and theme.

John Ford, Orson Welles, and Charlie Chaplin.

Terry Gilliam is generally good. Time Bandits, TAOB Munchausen, The Fisher King

Robert Altman was definitely a fav director of mine.

... Martin Scorsese for his ability to recreate real life events into enjoyable and unforgetable films. ...
    Yar. He’s the best. There are scads of terrific docu-dramas out there, from this great director and that one who had an exciting subject, but no one scores consistently with them the way that Scorsese does.
    Oliver Stone has some of that ability, though never with the same acumen.
    Also wanna mention Ron Howard, if only for A Beautiful Mind.

Sydney Pollack did some good work, and I like Barry Levinson.
    Rob Reiner
    Robert Zemeckis
    Bob Fosse
    Blake Edwards
    Mike Nichols
    Arthur Penn, without question.

…Not to dis Fincher, though. Fight Club is a subversive classic! We’re not likely to see another film like that anytime soon.

I’m wild about the Coen brothers.

Christopher Nolan is one to watch.

Paul Anderson is great, even if he did butcher (and then some) the Resident Evil movies.

He gave us Event Horizon and Mortal Kombat, two of my favorite movies.
    Menh. I didn't enjoy any of that.
    Here’s what I don’t get, though: Punch-Drunk Love. Director I don’t much like works with star I don’t much like, resulting in movie I quite adore.

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    :
    Terry Gilliam is generally good. Time Bandits, TAOB Munchausen, The Fisher King
    Don't forget the one in your member title. Twelve Monkeys was excellent
    He also directed my favorite film of all time, Brazil.
    Looking forward to 2009 and the release of The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus starring Tom Waits and Heath Ledger (in his final performance).

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I gotta add Guilermo del Toro and Peter Jackson as well.

Now on another forum I visit, anytime there's word of some "epic" movie, like a Halo adaption, The Legend of Drizzt, or anything like that, people start calling for Jackson. PJ is a good director, but the thing is, he is a really big fan of LOTR, that is why the movies are so enjoyable for the most part. There are some fans that are miffed about changes but its understandable. That is why I like PJ: he's a fanboy who didn't let things like runtime or studio imput dilute his vision

I like Del Toro because the man has a great eye for visuals, be it creatures or environments. His stuff has really inspired my fantasy writings, and his storylines aren't too bad either. Hellboy II was pretty good, and Pan's Labyrinth was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Empath of the White View Post
    fan of LOTR, that is why the movies are so enjoyable for the most part. There are some fans that are miffed about changes but its understandable. That is why I like PJ: he's a fanboy who didn't let things like runtime or studio imput dilute his vision
    He didn't seem to let little things like Tolkien's source material get in his way either.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am so happy, I found myself a whole new big world, a whole new big favorite director!

Strange, come to think of it... always considered myself quite a connoisseur of cinema... and never watched anything by Polanski. Such a lot of years wasted! But Lord, what heavenly delight now!

I will not stop until I've seen everything by him, including the court-metrages he did before Knife in the Water.

The cinema - I am not talking of Russian now, which is very specific, - always seemed to me to rest on two big pillars, Hitchcock and Kurosawa... and I think I always felt that something was lacking in this picture. There should have been a triad, not a duo... well, there is now.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I like Burton to and also John Carpenter

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Everyone Feev said...plus Oliver Stone, Frank Darabont, others I can't think of right now.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I'm a big fan of Zwick. I think his landscapes are amazing and he provides a good combination of action sequences and thought provoking social commentary (Last Samurai and Blood Diamond).

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quentin Tarantino & Luc Besson

Roland would have understood.

Luc Besson is great Letti. good choice!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. I do love most of his films.

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Thanks. I do love most of his films.
    i do too, except i didn't really care for "The Messenger" very much. i like the joan d'arc story, but didn't like this film so much. Now, Leon [aka "The Professional"] that is a GREAT movie

Country
    Country Flag

I watched Leon 10 times or much more as a kid.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quentin Tarentino, I just love the way he tells a story. He'll jump around, but in the end it all makes complete sense. I love his camera work and editing most of all. He really knows how to set up a great shot.

Tim Burton, all of his films are just so beautiful. They have a dreamlike quality to them that I love.

I'll go see any film either of them put out without hesitation, and even if I'm not too fond of the story, I know there'll be other things about the film that I'll enjoy.

Oh, and Hitchcock of course, we can't forget about him.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Clint Eastwood (I can't believe none of you have mentioned him)

Ridley Scott

Cameron Crowe

Roman Polanski

Steven Spielberg

Christopher Nolan

Quentin Tarantino

Martin Scorscese

James Cameron

Tim Burton

M. Night Shyamalan

I feel like I'm missing somebody....
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

michel gondry for eternal sunshine of the spotless mind - brilliant movie and one of my favorites.
    and of course,
    peter jackson...
    yeah, i'm a lord of the rings nerd as well

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post
    peter jackson...
    yeah, i'm a lord of the rings nerd as well
    I was hoping he wouldn't be named. While his movies may be good, imo, some of his techniques, especially the overuse of slow motion, get to me sometimes.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Anyway Quentin Tarentino is incredibly good at choosing the right acters.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Anyway Quentin Tarentino is incrdibly good at choosing the right acters.
    Yes he is, as well as choosing music. He always has the perfect song playing at right moment.

And Brice, I can't believe I forgot about David Lynch. He is great as well.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

ah i'm gonna agree with you on that one actually...
    especially *one* of the last endings of return of the king - frodo in bed with everybody else coming in one by one. terrible. ha.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast