Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mattrick's Movies (and assorted Film School Projects)

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Mattrick's Movies (and assorted Film School Projects)

I'm just wrapping up my first year of film school at Ryerson University in Toronto (technically my own fucking house on Zoom because of Covid...) and I've made four film so far. I'll keep this first post to post my school films I make (or contribute to making) over my four years of school, and perhaps any films I make on my own.

In this first post I will post links to each video through the links posted in specific posts in this thread. I will have little write ups/explanations/stories to go along with it, as well as the link to the film you can watch embedded or on YouTube. Just make sure you click the gear icon and set it to 1080p for the best viewing experience.

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel hosting all my films:BT Films

Year One Films

Silent Film

Film One: Untitled - Silent Documentary
    Film Two:
    Study Night - Silent Short Film

Year Two Films - Fall Semester

Documentary Production

Film One: Next Station
    Film Two: At Eyesore Cinema with Daniel Hannah

Visual Arts II

Film One: Gone Viral Gone
    Film Two: Silent Words
    Film Three: Aurora

Microcinema

Year Two - Winter Semester

Film Production - Fiction

Film One: Caldo Verde
    Film Two: A Moored

Miscellaneous Videos

The Falcon That Ate a Trash Bird
    Last edited by Mattrick; 03-25-2022 at 12:56 PM.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Awesome! Way to go! I have to think a film class on Zoom is pretty tricky. Does everyone just shoot with their phones?
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Awesome! Way to go! I have to think a film class on Zoom is pretty tricky. Does everyone just shoot with their phones?

Some people were strictly digital all year. Those able to go to the school were able to use Bolex cameras. I used a Bolex for my first two films in the fall, even if it was a pain the ass taking the train all the way to Toronto just to drop off film for development or to exchange the camera with someone. Second semester I went all digital. I calculated that between the cost of film/development/transit to use a Bolex, it was around 500 dollars, I so I spent that money on film equipment instead...I got studio lights and a shotgun microphone, and I further invested in a 70-300mm telephoto lens, which came with some extra stuff like diopters and stuff I made use of already.

My Camera: an entry level Nikon D3300 which is pretty light on features, but takes acceptable video and great stills. Unlike say Sony and Canon cameras though it's not as effective at shooting film

My lights: neewer 660 Bi-colour LEDs 3200-5600k

My zoom Lens and other lenses that came with it:

The silent film camera we used from the school was a Bolex H16 RX5 Reflex. It came equipped with three prime lenses you can rotate: 25mm, 40mm, and 70mm

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice. Can't wait to see the videos.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

So cool. Can't wait to see the films.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice starter kit! Do the lights let you change the color temp? What are you using to edit?

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice starter kit! Do the lights let you change the color temp? What are you using to edit?
    The lights go from 3200k to 5600k so right in the optimal range. Remote control. Nice range of brightness too. I'm editing in Adobe Premiere/Audition. My laptop is pretty good for video editing...16gb RAM, Ryzen 7 4800 GPU. Its quick working and renders fast.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I edited a few home made movies for school back in the day, did it on Adobe Premiere Pro. I think I still have the gangster-movie trailer I did for my capstone project on a CD somewhere.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Sounds awesome.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    The lights go from 3200k to 5600k so right in the optimal range. Remote control. Nice range of brightness too. I'm editing in Adobe Premiere/Audition. My laptop is pretty good for video editing...16gb RAM, Ryzen 7 4800 GPU. Its quick working and renders fast.
    Nice! 3200 and 5600 is all you really need. Adobe Premiere is good. Very user-friendly and orients well with other Adobe apps.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Ryerson University 1st Year Film Festival

This week my year is having an online film festival where our second semester films will be shown. You'll get to see my films premiere, plus a lot of other good work from a bunch of young whippersnappers.

Days:

Thursday April 29th @ 2-5pm EST
    Friday April 30th @ 6-9pm EST

I'll post the link when it's open for anyone interested.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cool! I'll check it out when you have the link.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The link for Today. It's starting up now:

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sweet!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

My films won't be shown until tomorrow night.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Those were the group films...Solo films link forthcoming

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Not sure why they have separate videos for groups/solo films, but this link will cover the rest of today's showings. I think there are 22 films.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, apparently the youtube video isn't work so we're watching on Zoom, meaning I can't share it...sorry!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The technical difficulties today shouldn't happen tomorrow so I should be able to post the links up without issue. If you can't watch live there should be links available to watch at your convenience.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Link:

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Here are my first two films for the year. I'll be uploading my films from last year to this channel once I upload them, plus more as I go. Subscribe to my YouTube channel, which I'll slowly start building up with school projects and some stuff I do on the side if I get motivated enough. I'll be editing the original post with links to these individual posts with the little write ups and videos.

This first film was for my visual arts class. We had to rip footage off the internet and use it to make something of our own. I decided to go for a funny video with some biting social criticism. FYI the video is SFW, YouTube just has rules against kids watching stupid people do stupid things so kids don't do the stupid things too.

This second film was a collaboration for my documentary class. We had to transform a real world space through sound and photography. Me riding the subway maybe once a year and my partner having had just moved to Toronto weeks before still find the subway to be an unfamiliar place we're not used to. Our goal was to make it seem unfamiliar enough to other people who are very familiar with it, kind of make them feel how we feel, only exaggerated. We both filmed (though about two-thirds of the footage is mine since she was working on the music made of subway sounds). I did the editing and she did the sound mix. The music is a little janky in the opening as the footage/cuts supported a different pacing, but we just didn't have time to fix it.

The current project I am working on is a group project for my Visual Arts class. In a group of 6 we had to create a list of words (12 for us) and then we had to go out and film representations of that word. Each of us has to film each word, (we're trying for 3-5 shots for each words, each). Then we pool all of our footage and we each make our own unique cuts from that pool of footage, with footage that represents all twelve of the words.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey Matt, nice work. I watched Next Station. It made me feel very anxious, which I guess was your intention. It gave me lots of Danny Boyle vibes.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice work, Matt! Loved the visuals in Next Station. I love the shots showing the bend of the train. Some great editing as well with the unsettling music.

The viral video was creative as well. I love Red Letter Media, so that was fun to see!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Very cool Matt. 10/10, would watch again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast