11 50.00%
  • Tommy

10 45.45%
  • The In-Laws

3 13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1970s: Round 2 - Group 16 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1970s: Round 2 - Group 16 of 32

During the second round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to four films you would like to move onto the next round. The top four films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

The Godfather (1972)
    Directed by Francis Ford Coppola

Watch Trailer

Superman (1978)
    Directed by Richard Donner

Watch Trailer

Grease (1978)
    Directed by Randal Kleiser

Watch Trailer

The Amityville Horror (1979)
    Directed by Stuart Rosenberg

Watch Trailer

Tommy (1975)
    Directed by Ken Russell

Watch Trailer

The In-Laws (1979)
    Directed by Arthur Hiller

Watch Trailer

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can't believe The Godfather ended up in 16th place after Round 1.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ONLY one here for me.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm hopelessly devoted to YOU!
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    ONLY one here for me.
    Really? Which one?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    ONLY one here for me.
    Really? Which one?
    One of my childhood favourite movies. I must have watched Superman a 1000 times when I was a kid. I was born Jul 15th, 1976. I started watching this when I was like 5-7 years old prob? Love it
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    ONLY one here for me.
    Really? Which one?
    One of my childhood favourite movies. I must have watched Superman a 1000 times when I was a kid. I was born Jul 15th, 1976. I started watching this when I was like 5-7 years old prob? Love it
    These tournaments are so interesting. Superman is one I didn't even vote for. I went with Godfather, Grease, and Tommy. Age at the time must have been a factor. I remember being so disappointed with Superman. I loved the second one, however.

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Mae I forgot to click Tommy. Could you add a vote for me?
    Looking for Suntup Brother ARC and Suntup Seed ARC

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aremag View Post
    Added.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I've never actually seen Grease in it's entirety.

It's one of my wife's favorite movies and I've seen most of it in bits and parts here and there over the years but I just cannot sit down and watch it straight through.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Added.
    Thanks Mae!
    Looking for Suntup Brother ARC and Suntup Seed ARC

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love Grease! Such a fun movie.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

It's one of my wife's favorite movies and I've seen most of it in bits and parts here and there over the years but I just cannot sit down and watch it straight through.
    You should sit down and give it your undivided attention sometime. Love that movie. It's one that we grew up watching all the time. When we were younger I probably could have recited all the lyrics to all the songs. I've seen bits and pieces of it again recently, but I really should sit down and watch the whole thing as it's been quite awhile now since I last saw it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That looks like anti-Godfather bias to me. A bunch of people who don't like it just because it's popular. It's literally become a cliche for people to name it as their favorite film.

You can't tell me there are 15 better films from the 70s.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

You should sit down and give it your undivided attention sometime. Love that movie. It's one that we grew up watching all the time. When we were younger I probably could have recited all the lyrics to all the songs. I've seen bits and pieces of it again recently, but I really should sit down and watch the whole thing as it's been quite awhile now since I last saw it.
    And it stands the test of time. My daughters loved it when we watched it a few years ago. Still an absolute gem of a film.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    That looks like anti-Godfather bias to me. A bunch of people who don't like it just because it's popular. It's literally become a cliche for people to name it as their favorite film.

You can't tell me there are 15 better films from the 70s.
    I quite agree. Perhaps it just the way the brackets were set up. Sometimes a group can be incredibly weak, thus affording some padding in the voting for the top movie in a particular group. Hard to believe it does not get all 20 votes in this group though.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, very true. It could also be one of those deals where people assume it's going to go through with no problem, so they throw their votes elsewhere.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Added.
    Thanks Mae!

Ya' better shape up!! Hoo Hooo
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I have to confess this is the first time in any of the tournaments where I needed more votes (not counting 1 on 1 rounds). I debated not giving a vote to Godfather for many of the reasons Still Servant mentions, but eventually I didn't give a vote to Superman.

Speaking of which is there another live-action tv show featuring Superman coming out? How many is that now?
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following four titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. The Godfather (86.36%)
    2. Grease (63.64%)
    3. Superman (54.55%)
    4. The Amityville Horror (50.00%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. Tommy (45.45%)
    2. The In-Laws (13.64%)

+ Reply to Thread