Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Willie the Weirdo: New King short story in McSweeney's (Spring? 2022)

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    The story is being released friday in french, and I recieved the magazine that has it. It seems to be a story about the covid pandemic
    Great. I've wondered why there hasn't been more publicity about this pandemic.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    The story is being released friday in french, and I recieved the magazine that has it. It seems to be a story about the covid pandemic
    Great. I've wondered why there hasn't been more publicity about this pandemic.
    My thoughts exactly lol

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

What is the magazine? It might be time to dust off my high school French. I was able to read Sale Gosse, more or less!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here is the magazine Bev : Bifrost #104
    I will just say that it is important with the story to pay attention to details

Here is the synopsis, from the backcover of the story

In french :
    Cet hiver, une maladie en Chine dont on parlait au journal de la nuit se changea en pandémie qui se mit à tuer des gens dans le monde entier. Hôpitaux et morgues débordaient. En Europe, on restait chez soi et, quand on sortait, on mettait un masque. En Amérique, certains le mettaient, surtout pour le supermarché. Même si c’était moins classe qu’une énorme éruption volcanique au parc national de Yellowstone, Willie trouvait déjà ça génial. Il suivait les chiffres sur son smartphone. Les écoles fermèrent en avance. Roxie pleura de manquer le bal de fin d’année, mais son frère s’en fichait. Il n’y avait pas de bal de fin d’année en rattrapage.
    En mars, Pépé se mit à tousser beaucoup plus, au point de cracher du sang, parfois…
    Quick translation :
    “This winter, a disease in China that was reported on the night newspaper turned into a pandemic that began to kill people all over the world. Hospitals and morgues were overflowing.
    In Europe, we stayed at home and, when we went out, we put on a mask. In America, some put it on, especially for the supermarket. Even though it was less classy than a massive volcanic eruption in Yellowstone National Park, Willie already thought it was awesome. He was following the numbers on his smartphone. Schools closed early. Roxie cried about missing the prom, but her brother didn't care. There was no prom for repeating class.
    In March, Grandpa began to cough a lot more, to the point of spitting blood, sometimes… ”
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

It's like a cross between two older King tales! It has very little to do with COVID.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    It's like a cross between two older King tales! It has very little to do with COVID.
    “This winter, a disease in China that was reported on the night newspaper turned into a pandemic that began to kill people all over the world. Hospitals and morgues were overflowing.
    In Europe, we stayed at home and, when we went out, we put on a mask. In America, some put it on, especially for the supermarket. Even though it was less classy than a massive volcanic eruption in Yellowstone National Park, Willie already thought it was awesome. He was following the numbers on his smartphone. Schools closed early. Roxie cried about missing the prom, but her brother didn't care. There was no prom for repeating class.
    In March, Grandpa began to cough a lot more, to the point of spitting blood, sometimes… ”

It has very little to do with COVID? huh? I mean sure the disease might not be called covid but cmon.

That paragraph is just about the only mention of the disease in the entire story -- I have no idea why they would chose to use it as an extract.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My original comment about the story being "about" the pandemic was probably misleading, and it was based on the background cover text and I hadn't read the story yet.

But I agree with Bev. The pandemic is in the background to give a little bit of context, but it's not the main main part of the story.
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Country
    Country Flag

Given that McSweeney #66 was planned for mid-february, still do not have a cover on Amazon, and does not appear on their own website, I contacted the publisher.
    Amazon have since moved the release date to march 17th, BUT the publisher told me that the spring issue is "tentatively due out April 7."

Country
    Country Flag

Amazon says that McScweeney #66 is now planned for march 31st, and now there is even a cover!

Citizen of Gilead Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja's Avatar

It actually says May 31. :-(

Lilja

Country
    Country Flag

When I shared that here the other day, it didn't change.... and the date is not the same on amazon US/UK/FR lol
    I guess I will ask my contact again instead of looking at amazon

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My latest update from Amazon says:

New estimated delivery date:
    Thursday, June 9, 2022 - Tuesday, June 14, 2022
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Country
    Country Flag

Confirmed by the publisher, the release date is now May 31

Citizen of Gilead Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja's Avatar

How hard can it be to get it out???

If I had known I could have learned Frensh in this time and read that version :-)

Lilja

A global paper shortage and supply chain issues are making it very difficult to produce magazines (and books) these days.

You’re right but still over 6 month delay?

Lilja

Country
    Country Flag

I have been hearing about paper shortage for at least a good year, so I am not really surprised.
    I am more surprised that big print projects like King books are able to get the paper... but then I guess publishers have bigger agreements and pay higher costs than smaller companies

I have been hearing about paper shortage for at least a good year, so I am not really surprised.
    I am more surprised that big print projects like King books are able to get the paper... but then I guess publishers have bigger agreements and pay higher costs than smaller companies
    Part of what is happening is the big New York publishers are pressuring their printers to squeeze out the "little guys" with the "little jobs" to make more paper available for the big jobs. I've heard that now from several printer employees and several small presses.

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Traveler PhilWalch will become famous soon enough PhilWalch will become famous soon enough

In what has now become a tedious publishing story my order has now been cancelled by Amazon.

Gunslinger Apprentice M_O_O_N has a little shameless behaviour in the past M_O_O_N's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    A global paper shortage and supply chain issues are making it very difficult to produce magazines (and books) these days.

The world is moving on.
    There are no coincidences. Only Ka.
    ~I don't like rep points! ~
    Please use only the 'I disapprove' option for me. (If it do ya fine.)

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

New update from Amazon -
    New estimated delivery date:
    Monday, July 11, 2022 - Thursday, July 14, 2022

Stephen King Catalog posted on fb yesterday that they have copies ready to ship.

Country
    Country Flag

I'd love to see one. McSweeney's still has it as a pre-order.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast