Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Billy Summers: New Stephen King novel (August 2021)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Agreed, Bill. I can understand that booksellers need to keep postage cost-competitive, but giving a more expensive option for collectors would be nice.

HBJ
    But why would they bother creating more issues for them, given the book is selling at $25?
    And for how many collectors that would want that?
    I'm sorry, my friend but maybe a box as opposed to a bubble envelope? That's too much to ask? Then don't sell the book if there is no profit. You've got to have some standards, no?
    I respectfully disagree my friend.

Why bother adding extra costs for the thousands of copies they sell, when there will only be a few people that may complain that the book has been slightly damaged?
    Put yourself in their position : they ship thousands, and more likely hundreds of thousands / millions of books per year. Not just King's.
    That would definitely increase their costs, while still trying to compete with amazon and other ecommerce websites.

This is not an expensive exclusive limited edition book per see, sold more expensive and that requires necessarily more attention from them.
    IMO, this is just "another book" for them and I totally understand that.
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I've always found the industry's complete apathy toward packaging books amazingly odd - they openly, and possibly proudly, fail to give a shit.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone confirmed that the purple WHSSmith version from the UK has no additional text?

Although I think it only has been the case once. I don't remember if it was Mr Mercedes or another book
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Has anyone confirmed that the purple WHSSmith version from the UK has no additional text?
    No additional text.

sk

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is there a discussion thread on the book itself? I can't find it.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    I was wondering the same thing.. has anybody read the story yet?
    Feedback ---- any good ??

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    I thought it was excellent! Reminded me of Shawshank, great character development and just a simple but satisfying story.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished it. In light of the sensitivity to spoilers here, I'll just say it's a very average book. Not King's worst but not very good.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

I just finished it. In light of the sensitivity to spoilers here, I'll just say it's a very average book. Not King's worst but not very good.
    +1. Not bad but nothing special. That said, I'm glad SK is still writing and will read any/all of his output as long as my local library keeps ordering his books!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post

+1. Not bad but nothing special. That said, I'm glad SK is still writing and will read any/all of his output as long as my local library keeps ordering his books!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post

Yes, I can and will always read a new King book but maybe we are doing him a disservice. It's becoming a bit like watching Elvis toward the end. Sweating and forgetting the words. Still the "King" though.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Loved it. Definitely one of my favorite later Kings.

sk

Gunslinger Apprentice Curly has a spectacular aura about Curly has a spectacular aura about

My wife asked me what it was about after I finished it. Not much to say really!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Curly View Post
    My wife asked me what it was about after I finished it. Not much to say really!
    Billy went to Walmart a lot!

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm a little shocked by the tepid response here, Elvis past his prime? Really? I thought it was fucking brilliant.

I think some of the audience might be past their prime, but King? No - he's still churning out gems. I would happily recommend this to others (and have).

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed it. Not in his top 10 but top 20 .
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    I'm a little shocked by the tepid response here, Elvis past his prime? Really? I thought it was fucking brilliant.

I think some of the audience might be past their prime, but King? No - he's still churning out gems. I would happily recommend this to others (and have).
    Yeah I'm reading it now and it's solid.

I think it's fair to say that King has 'peaked' -- I don't think we'll ever get something like IT again -- but it's not like he's waning in his old age. He's always had hits and misses.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice burgerhicks80 has a spectacular aura about burgerhicks80 has a spectacular aura about burgerhicks80 has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not my favorite of his recent books but still a damn good yarn
    ISO DT I-IV #101, rage,Suntup Press Horns, Rosemary's Baby and The Road w/designation #239

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Stephen King - Billy Summers
    Heyne HC Germany

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Love that cover. Best so far for this release.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished it yesterday. I thought it was good. Not GREAT but better than some of his recent books like the Mercedes trilogy.

I certainly wouldn't compare King to Elvis fumbling his lines. Some of his recent books haven't been that great but he's still a good writer. The Institute for example I found to be one of his most entertaining books in a long time.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I’m about 25% of the way through the book and I’m actually really enjoying this one, certainly far more than anything since Revival.

The character development is classic King. I only wish there was something supernatural lurking around the corner.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by craigobau View Post
    I’m about 25% of the way through the book and I’m actually really enjoying this one, certainly far more than anything since Revival.

The character development is classic King. I only wish there was something supernatural lurking around the corner.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4