6 23.08%
  • The Sting

19 73.08%
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind

25 96.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1970s: Round 1 - Group 6 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1970s: Round 1 - Group 6 of 32

During the first round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to six films you would like to move onto the next round. The top six films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

The Brood (1979)
    Directed by David Cronenberg

Watch Trailer

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973)
    Directed by Gordon Hessler

Watch Trailer

Days of Heaven (1978)
    Directed by Terrence Malick

Watch Trailer

Lady Snowblood (1973)
    Directed by Toshiya Fujita

Watch Trailer

Alien (1979)
    Directed by Ridley Scott

Watch Trailer

The Cowboys (1972)
    Directed by Mark Rydell

Watch Trailer

The Sting (1973)
    Directed by George Roy Hill

Watch Trailer

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
    Directed by Steven Spielberg

Watch Trailer

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

More votes for Lady Snowblood needed! Tarantino fans should be all over it!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Alien with the perfect score. Looks like both Aliens and Alien are going to be powerhouses in their respective decades.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Without Lady Snowblood, there would be no Kill Bill. It's one of the best assassin-revenge-killer movies out there.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It's been on my To Watch list forever, I just haven't gotten around to it

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    It's been on my To Watch list forever, I just haven't gotten around to it
    It's another gem that's on HBO Max. Some people poo-poo HBO Max, but it's a great service with a hugely varied library. It's probably my fav service right now.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I was trash talking HBO Max a few months ago too but damn they have a LOTTA great stuff on there. I've been using that service almost exclusively for the past 2 weeks.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Without Lady Snowblood, there would be no Kill Bill. It's one of the best assassin-revenge-killer movies out there.
    Is it available on HBO Max?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

It is.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, I'll check it out then because you said to do so.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

This is closing tomorrow morning and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad and The Cowboys are tied for last place, with Lady Snowblood two votes back.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Alien has this shit on lockdown.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It's going to be a structurally perfect beast this tournament.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

"The Cowboys" and "The Sting" should have a few more votes. Especially, "The Sting". It should be right up there with, "Alien" in the 21-22 vote category IMHO I mean, Paul Newman (predominantly a pre-1970 actor) and Robert Redford, (Mr. Post 1970 and beyond Actor/Director).

Not to mention one of "The Duke's" final films and one of the few in which he dies!!! "The Duke" is a Hollywood Icon if there ever was one for sure and should garner a little more in the way of votes just out of respect, no?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following five titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Alien (100.00%)
    2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (96.15%)
    3. The Sting (73.08%)
    4. Days of Heaven (30.77%)
    5. The Brood (30.77%)

The following two titles will face off in a tiebreaker for the last spot:
    1. The Cowboys (23.08%)
    2. The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (23.08%)

And the following title has been eliminated:
    1. Lady Snowblood (15.38%)

+ Reply to Thread